Sponsored by: Moser

How many sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
rookie911
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many sunroofs

has any one ever put a sunroof in there truck, i have a 77 super cab and i wasnt sure if it would be a dumb idea or if it would be neat.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally dont like them, every one I have ever seen leaks eventually plus I prefer mine to be more stock. I backed out of buying a '79 SWB 4x4 when I found out it had a sunroof.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bamaf150
I personally dont like them, every one I have ever seen leaks eventually plus I prefer mine to be more stock. I backed out of buying a '79 SWB 4x4 when I found out it had a sunroof.
I agree. And would definitely back out of buying a truck that had one as well!

Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
jmikeyj4
Senior User
DO it!! ive seen them there very unique

Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's one in a junkyard around here. Lookswise, I'm a big fan. But ya all I've ever heard, and what I would immediately assume is that they leak like crazy, and from the two I've seen in person, all the precision cutting, metalwork, shaping and sealing involved, is just an invitation for rust all around the edges. I saw a truck once that had one with etched glass though, like this wilderness scene that I'm sure caught the moonlight and all that, and it looked AMAZING.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Ajbrisso
New User
I've get a set on my truck and they are kind of neat and fun to have, if I had the choice I would not but them in. The previous owner put them in, the holes were not cut all that great, however they have a little bit of a lip to overlap with the roof to hide this a little bit, plus he had gobbed silicone around it to hide this further however they still leaked.

I had to take them out this summer to paint the cab. When I reinstalled them I made sure to take off all the old glue and silicone. They were a pain to get back in then to get screwed in, however that could be from the shotty job done initially. I re-sealed them using some weatherstripping compound, or something of the like. The passenger window does not leak at all however the driver's window leaks pretty badly. Also, there is a big **** on my setup to open and close the window, and being a taller guy I tend to hit my head on it... luckily I haven't hit a large bump yet.

If I had my choice, I would definitely NOT do this, however if done correctly they will work adequately. Here's a few pics of my truck for reference.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it to an 81 flareside I owned.

I bought the whole thing for around 100 bucks from pep boys back then. They used to have them on the shelf. My dad and I measured quite a few times and then cut it out with a sawzall.

I got lucky on placement because I did not take the sunvisors in to account. I did clear them though. I had no issues with leaks. Mine was a one piece removable roof.

It was nice for airflow when you do not have a/c. I also installed a sliding back glass. With all the windows down it was similar to a convertible. I liked it.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see where it would be nice to have at times but I couldnt bring myself to cut holes in a perfectly good roof!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
MiddleNameMUD
Senior User
Originally Posted by bamaf150
I could see where it would be nice to have at times but I couldnt bring myself to cut holes in a perfectly good roof!
2nd that...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
eviiltim72
Junior User
Mine was installed when I bought my truck. I have had it for almost a year and have not noticed any leaks from the sunroof. I really like the look and am actually thinking of putting it in the new cab when I get it installed.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eviiltim72
Mine was installed when I bought my truck. I have had it for almost a year and have not noticed any leaks from the sunroof. I really like the look and am actually thinking of putting it in the new cab when I get it installed.

Is yours completely removable?

I did not notice mine was at first. It had a little latch on each hinge when opened, the whole thing came out and set behind my seat.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
eviiltim72
Junior User
Originally Posted by first today
Is yours completely removable?

I did not notice mine was at first. It had a little latch on each hinge when opened, the whole thing came out and set behind my seat.
Mine is completly removable. The front has metal tabs that fit into slots and the back of it has a latch that allows it to open about 2 inches or so.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never ever cut up a good roof to install one, but I have seen a few that I am sure feel real good in hot weather, but I just couldn't bring myself to do something so permanent. I guess I am to much of an original kinda guy,...........

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
70 Bronco TX
Senior User
I've got a sunroof in my 75... Like it a lot when it's not wet outside...I don't drive it when it rains. That ought to tell you something about cutting up a good roof! Some day I'll take it to a professional to fix it right. The PO put it in.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
The sunroofs were a option in these trucks back then. You could check bout finding a sunroof that came out of these trucks & then have a place install it professionally.

Quick Reply: How many sunroofs