Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

need help with report guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need help with report guys

Hey all, i gotta write a 6-8 page informative essay for one of my college classes, and decided I might has well do it on the 6.9/7.3l IDIs. I need at least 5 different sources, and unfortunately, I dont think they will let me count FTE as one of them lol. I'd appreciate anything yall can come up with. So far i have this as ONE of my sources:

International 6.9L Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

should make for an interesting essay. Ill post it up for yall to read when I'm done with it if ya want.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
jeffreythree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use anything as a source as long as you use the proper reference. I am assuming APA format here. Some tips on APA references: How to Cite References Using APA Style , at the bottom is website references and about 2/3rds is the magazine article on a website reference. How about Wikipedia: International Harvester IDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , and use the specs from here: 7.3L IDI Diesel (they have a 6.9 and timeline page to there). Maybe use FTE as your source for common problems, ie cavitation? How about a part for how a diesel works: HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Engines Work" and diesel vs. gasoline (2nd part of that article)?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
forgotten diesels, if that isnt sad i dont know what is, has a lot of good info on the 6.9 and 7.3

6.9L

7.3L

Ill keep looking but i had bookmarks to those.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
thanks fellas, yes it is all APA format. They did specifically discourage using wikipedia as a source though...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You're writing a collegiate level report on IDI diesels. Is there a requirement to use a minimum of one scholastic journal?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
I would see what you could find under Ford's website.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mechelement
You're writing a collegiate level report on IDI diesels. Is there a requirement to use a minimum of one scholastic journal?
Nope no real requirements on sources, just need at least 5 different sources.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 AM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Oh man fellas, im just a rollin right along on this essay. Amazing how easy it is to write when ya pick something ya know something about lol.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Heres a couple minutes of interesting reading guys:

Oliver Diesel - Engines & Outdoors

Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
well here it is as she lies right now folks. NOTE: I do need to do some fact checking on a few of the things, but im not super concerned right now since its just a rough draft. Feel free to point out mistakes though, it can only better me lol.

It’s 1978, and a deal has been struck up between International Harvester and Ford Motor Company. Research and design began for a powerhouse that would launch a revolution that continues on even today. After countless hours of brutal testing, the 6.9L indirect injected naturally aspirated V8 diesel takes up residence in the engine bay of Ford’s ¾ and 1 ton heavy trucks. With 170 horsepower, and 310 foot pounds of torque, it wasn’t a real powerful engine compared to today’s diesels, but it did start the diesel wars between Dodge, GM, and Ford. The 6.9/7.3L IDI diesels were proven to be reliable, solid engines and were used in a wide range of applications, but as a good as a setup as they were, they weren’t without a few common problems which of course meant they went through a few changes during their production run.
The 6.9s were blessed with a cast iron block and four bolt main bearings. This made for a solid bottom end and base to build off of. It also got a forged steel crankshaft, plenty heavy enough to handle the forces developed in such an engine. To aid in cold starting, IHC designed the engine to include glow plugs. Glow plugs are a threaded plug that screw into the cylinder head of an engine and use electricity to create heat in the pre-combustion chamber to help raise the temperatures inside the cylinders to the 500*F necessary for diesel fuel to auto ignite. The glow plugs used were Motorcraft/Beru ZD1As. These are non temperature limiting single coil glow plugs designed to run off 6 volts. The way that IH designed the glow plug relay, the 12 volts that started at the battery was stepped down enough that by the time the juice made it to the glow plugs it didn’t burn them up. Between the 20.7:1 (1983) 21.5:1 (1984+) compression of the 6.9, and the glow plug system, they are fairly easy to start in the cold when the starting system is in good shape. For those extremely cold nights, a block heater was also included.
Of course, just like any other engine, the 6.9 had a few common problems. The most common being the return lines giving up the ghost and leaking air leading to hard start situations. IHC designed the return line system with plastic caps on top of each injector with O-rings sealing the cap to the top of the injector, and rubber lines running from each of the caps. After several heating/cooling cycles, the O rings would become hard, and if disturbed would leak air into the return line system. The reason that this leads to a hard start is because the 6.9 depends on vacuum to hold prime. The 6.9 has a mechanical fuel pump that is operated off of a lobe on the camshaft, so of course fuel is only pumped when the engine is turning. Owners would crank on the starter longer than normal without doing anything accept pumping fuel. Once the air was finally purged from the system, the engine would fire right up no problems. The problem is, after a while, all that cranking takes its toll on the starting system. A worn out starter won’t spin the engine fast enough to create the heat necessary to ignite the fuel, leading to a hard start. If the first problem is not corrected in a timely fashion, it creates other problems as well and leads to quite an upset owner. A common modification is to add an electric fuel pump, which doesn’t fix the problems, it just covers them up. It also, if not properly done, creates the risk of rupturing the diaphragm in the mechanical pump and filling the crankcase with diesel fuel.
The 6.9s fuel system is a relatively simple one, and is stone age compared to the diesels of today. A Standadyne DB2 rotary injection pump is the heart of the system. This pump only develops injection pressures of about 3200 psi, nothing compared to the newer engines. The injection pump is quite a complicated piece of engineering, and a whole essay in itself could be written on it. Basically, pressure is built up inside the pump, and as it turns, ports are uncovered which the pressurized fuel is pushed through and is fired through the injector. The pump controls, injection pressure, timing of the injection event, metering of the fuel injected, and firing the injectors in the correct order.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Off to a good start!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
ah1988
Senior User
Here is a website you could say for resourses
6.9L IDI Diesel

hate my english teacher she make us do so many freggggan essays
well i have plenty more coming my way only in 8th grade

Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
Off to a good start!
Thanks bud
Originally Posted by ah1988
6.9L IDI Diesel

yea i grabbed a couple facts off there already. I agree, essays suck, but the more ya do the easier they get. Im at the point where i can just spew BS on demand lol.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
ah1988
Senior User
I have gotten prety good at just slaping the papers toghether i always get a A+ , i am just worry about everything !

Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ah1988
6.9L IDI Diesel

not to sound idiotic but are you actually in 8th grade

Quick Reply: need help with report guys