Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Senior User

LFDavidson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Heater 88 F250 7.3 idi

Ok, I did a lot of searching but didn't quite get to a full answer. My fuel heater appears to be leaking out of the wire going to the black cap on top of it (kind of bubbles out). Sooooo, I am assuming that the heater terminal is leaking as well as maybe the heater to header O ring. How does that wire come off? I tried prying up on the cap and the plastic starts to bend up instead of the cap coming off the top of the heater. I saw that someone mentioned the wire and cap going down through the top of the header once you take it apart from the inside. But, doesn't the cap and wire have to come off to be able to put on new O rings? Also, where do you get the O rings for the heater?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Postmaster

oreocreaming is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
fuel heater?
1990 F-350 LARIAT 4x4 7.3L IDI diesel ZF5. 1992 front with cowl induction hood, 1997 doors and tailgate. 2004 6.0l intercooler, PSD heated power and signal mirrors. AMSOIL bypass system, full synthetic system. 5.38's, 46" tires, 20" wheels, 12" lift with shackle reversal front, shackle flip rear. Ladder bars in the rear, 2" hydraulic assist steering, hydroboost brakes, onboard dual compressor air system. twin air horns, black interior, 100 gallon in-bed tank. 94 IDI-T motor, SMF conversion.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Senior User

Fuel warmer/heater... Wire plugs into the top of the fuel filter header, passenger side, front top of the engine......
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Senior User

polarismuddman is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have a PM......lemme know.

"Yea, I'm an oilburner....what of it?"
1989 F250 7.3 IDI, ZF 5-speed,4wd, worn out pump turned up a few flats, timing advanced, PowerKing tires, Group 31 batteries.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior User

Thanks the zip file in that thread helps alot... I plan on pulling it apart today so I will see if the plug on the top breaks... I have to go get a new filter and a larger filter wrench first.. I started to take this one off with a strap wrench and it wants to collapse..
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Senior User

NAPA has these filters on sale right now for around 16 bucks....

1989 F250 7.3 IDI, ZF 5-speed,4wd, worn out pump turned up a few flats, timing advanced, PowerKing tires, Group 31 batteries.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior User

I got it all disassembled and even managed to get the fuel heater apart without breaking anything. The wire cap just wanted to stick to the top of the heater housing so it got a little dinged up. The real trick was bending the tabs out on the metal cap and the metal tab at the base of the spade lug where the wire attaches without breaking it. I cleaned the inside area where the spade lug goes through the housing with acetone and then put some blue rtv on it before reassembling. I found some o rings at NAPA for both the small and large o rings. I put in the little o ring last night and let it set so the rtv would cure. Have to run to a different NAPA store to get the large o ring. I will finish putting it all back together this morning and find out if it seals up correctly. Just for fun I checked with the local Ford dealer, $165.00 for the heater that has two 75 cent o rings that fail.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior User

I did manage to rebuild the fuel heater and it is now nice and clean with no leaks at all. Got the o rings for the heater at NAPA. In addition to the inner o ring, when I put the heater back into the filter header, I added a little blue RTV around the top of the hole where the heater pushes into the header. Put on a new o ring and reassembled. I let the RTV cure for 24 hours after assembly and before applying fuel pressure. So, about $2.00 worth of parts and a couple hours of labor saved me $165.00 for a new heater at Ford.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior User

Good, glad to hear it!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Elder User

vfelix702 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
vic.felix.3 http://lnkd.in/byV7RhN
gents i have the same issue aswell on my 90 f250 7.3 idi 4x4 5 speed ... can you pass along the breakdown? thank you gents
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
check this one out felix.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/85...ht=fuel+heater

alternative much lower cost (and likely works much better than stock) fuel filter heater:
http://www.padheaters.com/cold_fuel.html

should you have an inop fuel heater,and don't plan on replacing with that expensive stock one,i suppose a guy could just jbeld the sucker shut once and for all and never have it leak again lol.though,it likely never would for another 15-20 years anyway with new washers lol.

supposedly,if the heater works,you can feel the heat by touching the top of the filter housing.mine remains cold.
i had one break down because of it this winter.a real nasty bad batch of fuel with water.the water froze and caused a breakdown.
i now keep a bottle of diesel service 911 (its in a red bottle) in the toolbox. that stuff works great! i was right back on the road in no time.the titan #THF100-12 is likely the way to go.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior User

juni88126 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a guy that came through work last winter that had installed an older style tranny cooler from a semi on his truck. Fuel went through one set of passages and coolant went through the other. Kind of the same idea as the tranny coolers inside the radiator on our trucks.
98 explorer
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Elder User

Gents what size are the O-rings that go on the tops of the fuel injectors? I have a 90 F250 7.3l idi 5 speed 4x4.... Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Postmaster

rodneywar has a good reputation on FTE.rodneywar has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfelix702 View Post
Gents what size are the O-rings that go on the tops of the fuel injectors? I have a 90 F250 7.3l idi 5 speed 4x4.... Thanks
ok the orings are #111 get viton ones from mcmaster carr they are cheap and worth it
1996 f350 4x4 7.3, pmf with v codes, mods- dp tuner f-6 ,irate reg ret with 125 gph fass titanum, custom 38 gal tank, hpx, afe, edge insight, s463 2.5 legal, 4 inch dp to 5 inch exhaust, 3 inch sd plenum, studded, 910 vs, di pushrods, t500, ffd 250cc 200%, intercooler, 120v idm 4r100 with all the goodies, hydroboost, 08 rear diff cover, custom driveshaft and more mods too many to list
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Elder User

Ok thanks what size I'd is the fuel return line?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1996, 1997, 73, 88, diesel, f250, feul, ford, fuel, heater, idi, motor, ohms, orings, system