1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with my rear end...(Hold the jokes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Disappointed with my rear end...(Hold the jokes)

I recently(2 weeks ago) purchased a 2011 F250 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 Electronic locking rear axle. Do my dismay, I apparently failed miserably in the doing my homework department. The locker works great as far as actually locking the dif, the problem is it acts like an open differential when I do not have it locked. I stupidly assumed that the differential would be the same as their limited slip, just with the E-locking option. This is a major concern for me. Does anyone know the details about this differential? Or if i can get a limited slip replacement that still works with the E-Lock feature?

Thanks,

Devon

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not aware of ANY diff that is limited slip AND full locking.

All I've ever seen are open, limited slip or locking (open when not locked)

there are many situations where locked and limited slip are VERY VERY BAD. which is why they are not stock on all vehicles.

when one tire slips they both will.. wet road, around a corner, usually in traffic environments..

sam

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Auburn ECTED is the only limited slip and locking diff in one I know of and I do not believe it is available for the sterling 10.5". Pretty sure its available for the D60 though.
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/?href=

Sounds like Ford basically puts an Elocker in the new trucks. I'm sure the locking capabilities are built into the differential itself and is nothing external from the diff.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run front and rear ARB's in my off road toy. For a street truck and tow rig I went with the LSD as it's far more useful in all the snow we get. The locker will just push the front through a corner.
But a full locking diff is a great piece of equipment in the right place.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Crapola. Well I am kicking myself like crazy, because ford offers the same truck in a LSD as well, but I specifically looked for the locker because I assumed it would be better. That is what i get for assuming. I had a ranger a few years ago that i supercharged(4wd) and I threw a Torsen T2-R in the rear...AMAZING. Driving without a LSD is like killing kittens...it just shouldn't be done. So, the reason I know that I have an open diff out back????

I was towing my tractor on a tandem-axle 18' trailer, up a 30% or better grade, this hill is flipping steep! I punched it to downshift and get some momentum...damn right rear tire broke loose. With a trailer. With 3500lb of weight on said trailer. WTF? This wasn't a little squeal either...burned through the entirety of first gear. Looks like I am going to be in the market for a LSD...

Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by devongarver
Crapola. Well I am kicking myself like crazy, because ford offers the same truck in a LSD as well, but I specifically looked for the locker because I assumed it would be better. That is what i get for assuming. I had a ranger a few years ago that i supercharged(4wd) and I threw a Torsen T2-R in the rear...AMAZING. Driving without a LSD is like killing kittens...it just shouldn't be done. So, the reason I know that I have an open diff out back????

I was towing my tractor on a tandem-axle 18' trailer, up a 30% or better grade, this hill is flipping steep! I punched it to downshift and get some momentum...damn right rear tire broke loose. With a trailer. With 3500lb of weight on said trailer. WTF? This wasn't a little squeal either...burned through the entirety of first gear. Looks like I am going to be in the market for a LSD...
You will need to swap out the entire carrier as an LSD will be completely different. I would just run what you have for now. My buddy was able to find a complete rear axle from a salvage yard with an LSD to replace his open diff. I think the entire axle was under $700 and it had less miles than his truck.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Originally Posted by Ricohman
You will need to swap out the entire carrier as an LSD will be completely different. I would just run what you have for now. My buddy was able to find a complete rear axle from a salvage yard with an LSD to replace his open diff. I think the entire axle was under $700 and it had less miles than his truck.
That doesn't make sense to me, why would ford make a LSD and a Locker that fit in two different carriers? They would be more apt to make one working with the same carrier as production costs would be cheaper right? I mean the make an LSD for this rear, so why couldn't I just order that one?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

carrier is the thing holding the gears.. the internals are different lsd vs locker.. the gears should be the same. easier to slide the axles out, pull the carrier and gears and move that whole thing to the other rear axle housing.

if you order the vehicle, then you can get LSD vs locker..
AFTER you receive your vehicle, its unlikely you can order a change..
that is aftermarket.

sam

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
The only time a locker is at a disadvantage is turning, constant driving in the snow or on sidehills. Driving up a hill with an agressive LSD or a locker should be the same. Maybe the locker would be better if it was rocky.
I would run what you have and use it when you need it.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Originally Posted by Ricohman
The only time a locker is at a disadvantage is turning, constant driving in the snow or on sidehills. Driving up a hill with an agressive LSD or a locker should be the same. Maybe the locker would be better if it was rocky.
I would run what you have and use it when you need it.

I must be confused. I thought you could not use a locker on dry pavement? As far as snow, we get tons of it. Are you saying I can use a locker on the street?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by devongarver
I must be confused. I thought you could not use a locker on dry pavement? As far as snow, we get tons of it. Are you saying I can use a locker on the street?
not recommended. LSD is a little less bad.

Sam

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Why would having an open rear differential on the street be bad?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Originally Posted by redford
Why would having an open rear differential on the street be bad?
No traction. At all. Did you see my post about towing the trailer? It is even worse with no trailer out there, I can't even accelerate WOT without breaking loose. If I had two drive wheels, it would just bite and go.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

why are you doing WOT acceleration?
and with TWO drive wheels, you will have TWO tires spinning and NO traction of any kind either..

I can spin all 4 tires on my 08 DRW from a stop with my LSD at WOT

800ft/lb torque is GONNA spin the tires if you go WOT at slower speeds. I recommend not doing WOT in general. Its a right foot control thing.

Sam

Quick Reply: Disappointed with my rear end...(Hold the jokes)