C4 trans "let go"!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
F-O-R-D #1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C4 trans "let go"!!

Ok i was hauling a load of square bales on the way to the farm i just got on the interstate and got to 65mph and the trans let go!!. Rolled over to the shoulder and there was fluid running all over the ground from between the engine and trans,no gears.Truck is a 79 Ranger Xlt 302/C4 2wd.I pulled trans sunday and was hoping to find a tore front seal or damaged converter,not either both looked great.I had the trans rebuilt in 95 and has went ever since till sunday.I build engines,rear ends but have never done anything in a trans other than valve body stuff.Any ideas what blew!!!!!!!!!!I want to rebuild this myself and need a good recomendation for a manual and any special tools i might need,but i really need to know what to look for in the first place,is there something in the valve body that could have backed up the pressure out the front???...also the splines on input shat were slightly twisted but still slid into the converter well?Thanks alot for any help....Fords 4-ever!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 PM
F-O-R-D #1
Junior User
bump!!Couple years later..its still sitting with this problem thanks for any ideas..Jason

Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If a trans is overheated it can start blowing fluid past the front seal, blow enough fluid out and you have no drive. Did you try refilling and running it?
How big of a load are we talking? That could be a major factor in overloading the trans.
Another thing it could be, and it would just be shear coincidence on the timing, but it could have popped out the TC drain. It's on the front of the torque converter, next to one of the studs.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 AM
F-O-R-D #1
Junior User
Thanks bro,i guess ill try that,nobody thinks theres actually anything else thats wrong,seal was good.THanks again!