1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Gary, my brother has one of the first big Tundras, he has owned for 8 years, but he is seriously looking at a new Ecoboost F-150, super crew with a 5 1/2' bed, same package as his Tundra. His reasoning, fuel economy, Toyota in his opinion hasn't kept up with Detroit in that area.

A couple of funny stories about Bob and his Tundra. He hadn't had it a week before he took it and had a dual exhaust system put on "so it sounds like a truck". Over Labor Day weekend in 2013, we were moving our cousin from one end of Easton MD to the other, Bob has been giving me a bunch of crap over Darth ever since he bought the Tundra, he asked me "what's wrong with the exhaust on your truck, it sounds kind of loud?" when I told him, that's what a big block V8 sounds like he just looked at me.

Best, Response ever! bahaha thatll teach Bob

Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bruno - I don't think I can be accused of being part of "generational indoctrination of branding", whatever that means, with a Nissan, Subaru, and Mercedes sitting in the garage at this point in time. In fact, I was quite interested in the new Nissan Titan HD w/the 5L Cummins until I realized they aren't available and the date for that hasn't been announced. So, when Janey said "I think you need to order it now" I decided to strike before she changed her mind. (Good plan, too, as we did our taxes last night. ) But everything I read said the Tundra wasn't in the same league as the Big Three.

Bill - Your brother is confirming what I've heard - the MPG on the Toyotas is not even close to what the Ford is getting. And, he's looking at what I have on order: 4x4 SuperCrew with a 5 1/2' bed. I added all the options but the off-road package, so have Max Tow and the 3.5L EB w/3.55 electric-locking gears. Tow rating is about 12,000 lbs and cargo capacity is 3,300 lbs. Not nearly what Darth can do, but far better than Rusty - at twice the MPG.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Must have had a bad carb icing day or something. Started the truck up, stumbled and or misfired like crazy below 1000 RPM, and up around 2000 RPM. Went around the carb with a can of carb cleaner looking for leaks. Found none. Sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb itself while it was running and it got better. Took off, started stumbling/misfiring really badly around 1500 RPM then I limped it home and we took the car. Came back home and started it up, ran great. Must have been icing up. Guess we'll see tomorrow. It's about 45-50 and very chilling cold air today.

That's the first time it's ever done it that bad. Before it would always be a little icing at idle rarely and that's it. Time to look for a factory air cleaner some more.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Alright, I have problems. Started the truck back up tonight and it's misfiring. Got some diagnosing to do. Going to put my old cap and rotor back on and see if that's the problem. Didn't see any carbon tracking with the new cap and rotor though. Also going to check the pickup coil's resistance value. Then I may as well put my old coil back on I keep behind the seat if it keeps happening. And if that's not the problem it's either I bought some bad gas or the made in china DS II module is failing. Sure sounds like a misfire out the exhaust. It also backfired on hot restart Monday afternoon, before I filled the gas tank. So, it may have been something setting up to fail.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yeah, I think you have ignition problems, not carb icing. Not cold enough for that, unless it was a really cold day with a lot of moisture.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Yeah, I think you have ignition problems, not carb icing. Not cold enough for that, unless it was a really cold day with a lot of moisture.
The coil on our van failed last summer. The truck is doing the EXACT same thing it did. Except not as bad with the misfiring, and it seems to go away once it runs for a bit then comes back. Misfires under high load, low RPM. High RPM low load it doesn't misfire as much. It's the same brand and model number, too. Crane PS 20. But, we'll see what I find tomorrow. The one in the van was a POS for years. Always started hard. Put the OE coil back on it and it's run like a champ ever since and restarted much easier. That one lasted less than 35,000 miles. The one on the truck, if that is the problem lasted about 1,500.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Your description of "Misfires under high load, low RPM. High RPM low load it doesn't misfire as much" is a perfect match for a weak ignition system. High load at low RPM gives high cylinder pressure, and that requires more voltage to jump across the plug's gap. So, if the coil can't give high enough voltage you'll get a misfire. Or, if the coil can give enough voltage but the wires are bad then the spark will go somewhere besides the correct plug - and it'll misfire.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
My new F150 fender emblems should arrive tomorrow. Anyone have any recommendations on removing the foam backing from the old emblems that are still on the body? I don't want to scrape as the paint is flaking off in some areas to the primer and I am not at a point where I will be repainting the truck anytime soon.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Bruno - I don't think I can be accused of being part of "generational indoctrination of branding", whatever that means, with a Nissan, Subaru, and Mercedes sitting in the garage at this point in time. In fact, I was quite interested in the new Nissan Titan HD w/the 5L Cummins until I realized they aren't available and the date for that hasn't been announced. So, when Janey said "I think you need to order it now" I decided to strike before she changed her mind. (Good plan, too, as we did our taxes last night. ) But everything I read said the Tundra wasn't in the same league as the Big Three.

Bill - Your brother is confirming what I've heard - the MPG on the Toyotas is not even close to what the Ford is getting. And, he's looking at what I have on order: 4x4 SuperCrew with a 5 1/2' bed. I added all the options but the off-road package, so have Max Tow and the 3.5L EB w/3.55 electric-locking gears. Tow rating is about 12,000 lbs and cargo capacity is 3,300 lbs. Not nearly what Darth can do, but far better than Rusty - at twice the MPG.
I am not accusing you of that at all Gary. Just making the point that possibly that is where CR's write up is going into an area I don't see as accurate. As far as the Tundra not being in the same league as the big three just seems laughable looking at everyone's track record. On one hand we have a company striving to make a better product than everybody else and on the other three that are running on their name. To each his own I suppose.

Bill, I have a buddy with an eco boost. He wasn't impressed with the mileage and was very disappointed with the towing capabilities. It really just depends on what he plans to use the truck for.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The tundra's mileage sucks at best. I didn't like that part at all, but a well built truck none the less. My Sequoia wouldn't do better than 13 on the hwy. It has the 4.6, but the 5.7 does 16-18 on the hwy. I know that doesn't get in the race when it comes to mileage. However, out of all the trucks I have been in and had experience with I liked it. Should I find myself in the market for a 1/2 ton I wont be going with the big 3.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
My new F150 fender emblems should arrive tomorrow. Anyone have any recommendations on removing the foam backing from the old emblems that are still on the body? I don't want to scrape as the paint is flaking off in some areas to the primer and I am not at a point where I will be repainting the truck anytime soon.
Saw a trick on Car Throttle: Heat gun and fishing line. Use the heat gun to soften the glue, and the fishing line to seperate the emblem/leftovers. Buff and polish after removal.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by RL250
Saw a trick on Car Throttle: Heat gun and fishing line. Use the heat gun to soften the glue, and the fishing line to seperate the emblem/leftovers. Buff and polish after removal.
Reps to you for that, Mr Fritter!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Acetone might melt the foam and glue.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Acetone might melt the foam and glue.

As well as plastic, if the emblems are not metal.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Thanks for the tips. After I got them in and saw how great they looked I kind of feel like waiting till I paint the truck to put them on. One fell off the other is still on but is about ready to fall off.

If I go ahead and do the paint next I will have to locate the two tone pin striping for a '82 F150 Flareside. As far as I know they are not made but I hope someone makes them by time I go to the paint stage.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?