1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well after lots of experimenting (and realizing that without the vac advance physically connected to the pickup assembly, my timing goes nuts), I FINALLY got the timing about where it needs to be. I even got the vac advance to cooperate for the first time since I installed the 1406. It starts easier than before and runs nice and smooth with good power and improved acceleration. Not sure yet on how much gas mileage has improved if any.

I ordered a Crane Cams distributor cap from Summit the other day since my current one is about done. Multiple 45kV sparks + .060" gap = bad news for stock graphite center contacts. It looks like a crater where it used to stick out. The new cap has brass contacts so it should hold up better.

I'm sure there's a bit of resistance right now with it having to jump the distance between the cratered contact and the rotor.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not today, but thursday/friday. I dropped the trans to replace the flexplate, and took the starter to a local rebuilder. Truck sat for about a year due to the hassle of turning the crank bolt with a wrench in order to get starter to engage.
After getting it apart, I dunno how it managed to engage at all, as the starter drive was chewed up worse than any I have ever seen. Even the rebuilder was amazed. He knew it was an auto trans, and I told him I drove it into the bay.
Having access to a lift and a trans jack that can reach 6ft off the ground made this task SO much easier.......

While it was in the shop, I did some measuring. Sure enough, a Cummins 12V 5.9L is only a couple inches longer than the 300/4.9L I-6 that's currently in there. The search begins for a ragged out body/chassis with good running 5.9L 12V and (preferably) 5 speed trans. A good customer happens to have a couple, but I think they are auto and/or 4wd......

That ought to *finally* mash those CC820 coil springs down to the *correct* ride hieght, and solve that camber issue........

Old 10-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Not today, but thursday/friday. I dropped the trans to replace the flexplate, and took the starter to a local rebuilder. Truck sat for about a year due to the hassle of turning the crank bolt with a wrench in order to get starter to engage.
After getting it apart, I dunno how it managed to engage at all, as the starter drive was chewed up worse than any I have ever seen. Even the rebuilder was amazed. He knew it was an auto trans, and I told him I drove it into the bay.
Having access to a lift and a trans jack that can reach 6ft off the ground made this task SO much easier.......

While it was in the shop, I did some measuring. Sure enough, a Cummins 12V 5.9L is only a couple inches longer than the 300/4.9L I-6 that's currently in there. The search begins for a ragged out body/chassis with good running 5.9L 12V and (preferably) 5 speed trans. A good customer happens to have a couple, but I think they are auto and/or 4wd......

That ought to *finally* mash those CC820 coil springs down to the *correct* ride hieght, and solve that camber issue........
Paul? Is that you, Paul? I used to know a guy by that name, but he vamoosed. So, you are still around? Glad to hear that. Hope you get that 300 going soon. Come up and check in some time.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Paul? Is that you, Paul? I used to know a guy by that name, but he vamoosed. So, you are still around? Glad to hear that. Hope you get that 300 going soon. Come up and check in some time.
Same ugly guy, same ugly-ish truck, but it's a bit cleaner now......
The 300 is up and running great, aside from what I believe is a bit of piston skirt slap (common in 300's).
Been working full time at a local shop, and spending most saturdays there working on my own stuff. Was a bit slow this week, so worked on the 300. Had it done in about 2.5 hours, aside from forgetting to take the starter down for rebuilding until the trans was almost back in. Had to wait till midday fri for that to be ready.....

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW, the Cummins BT was designed as a drop-in replacement for the 300 in UPS trucks.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
BTW, the Cummins BT was designed as a drop-in replacement for the 300 in UPS trucks.
Yeah, the 4BT was the most commonly used for this application, but the 6BT found it's way into quite a few.
I did find a place that sells motor mounts for the 6BT that bolt to the frame of any 80-96/97 F series. "Only" $260/set.......

Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
what did i do to my truck today?? Drove it like i stole it.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I haven't been here much lately, so I only posted what I did to my 80 F150 in the last few days......
However, I've done quite a bit of stuff to all my other vehicles over the last couple months. Such as new pads/rotors on the B2300, new clutch hydraulics on the RX7, and even a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion on the 74.
A couple weeks ago, I replaced the front knuckle and wheel bearing on a Subaru WRX, and last weekend, we raced it at the SCCA RallyCross National Championship event held in Tulsa, OK. We didn't finish as well as we would have hoped, but much better than we should have. We were in the open "Modified AWD" class, but the car was more suited to the "Prepared AWD" class, aside from the lack of a cat (required in prepared). Our bottom 25% Mod AWD times would have been good enough for 1st & 2nd in Prep AWD.
The National Championship event will not be returning to Tulsa next year, instead will be held in NE. If (and that's a big if) we manage to make that event, you can bet a cat will be under the car.........

So, there you have it. The reasons I haven't been online much lately. Working full time, plus doing a lot of stuff to my own vehicles (and vehicles I use for competition) have kept me rather busy. Early morning coffee time would be the only time I could get on here, and that would likely lead to me being late for work, in spite of only having a .75 mile commute.......

Old 10-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good explanation of where you've been. Would you tow the RX7 with the 80?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Good explanation of where you've been. Would you tow the RX7 with the 80?
The 80 has towed many an RX7, including all 3 of the ones I own.
The 74 has only towed the WRX and CRX a couple time each.

If (when is more accurate) I go thru with the cummins swap in the 80, it will most likely resume it's former "tow b*tch" status. I'm already in the actively hunting for a donor truck stage......

Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are you going to do about the brakes and the suspension on the 80 Paul?

I got the box finished and the shop mostly straightened up. I am about ready to do the dirty to Junior.

I should probably start to schedule a trip to Podunk next weekend. I am sure Saturday would be better than Sunday for Gary. So lets see if that goes South before Saturday gets here.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bruno2
What are you going to do about the brakes and the suspension on the 80 Paul?
Not much to do to the brakes or suspension on the 80. It already has springs that are way too stiff/heavy for the current 300, and with king pin I-beams there's not enough camber adjustment available to get the tires back into the upright position. A cummins is only about 300lbs heavier than a 300, so that should be enough to mash those springs down to where they need to be. if they aren't quite enough, I'll get a set of F250/350 coils for holding a 6.9L, since it's within 50-100lbs of the 5.9L.
Brakes are good, aside from the master cyl, which has an internal leak and will replaced with a new (not reman) unit in a couple days.
The radiator and charge air cooler are more of a concern to me than brakes or suspension. Rather tight quarters up there where they need to go......

Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Brandon - I think I'll be here Saturday, although I'll be out late Friday so let's not do it early. 9 or later?

Paul - Does that engine come w/a vacuum pump?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Brandon - I think I'll be here Saturday, although I'll be out late Friday so let's not do it early. 9 or later?

Paul - Does that engine come w/a vacuum pump?
Yup. The older dodge trucks still used a vacuum booster. Hydroboost took over sometime after the cummin went 24V and computer controlled.
I'm not going into this totally alone. My boss swapped the 6.0 (sick-o as we call them) in his stupid duty for a 12V cummins, and left the ford 5 speed auto in place. He was skeptical about the suspension holding up, till he realized it has forged I-beams and king pins, like the 250/350. Now even he is sure it'll handle it with no problems. Stamped I-beams with ball joints would be a concern, but not the forged beams with king pins.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of them have the electric vacuum pumps. My 5.9 is an 06 and my Dad's is an 03 and the both have electric units mounted on the fender.The issue will be with an auto tranny if it isn't a standardshift.

I bought the Dodge new in 06 because I wasn't about to buy the 6 leaker Ford had out that yr.Those things were so problem prone it was awful. The engine was built with only 10 head bolts per side so the heads get blown off on a regular basis. Forget about putting a tuner or a boost fooler on it. My 7.3 has 18 per side.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?