1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
phurst
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, nope, doing 75 in the center lane. By the time I could get over to inspect the damage, the deer was a fair bit back. There was surrounding traffic as well, so it probably got hit at least once more after me.

Yeah Gary, it was a hell of a shot. It's really a massive dent.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I re routed the fuel lines today for the spin on filter upgrade. I plumbed all the fuel lines as well. I plumbed the coolant filter in also. I had a leak on the tranny pan that I added drain plugs to. So I had to pull it off and weld it again. I water tested it 24hrs this time and no leaks. I put the tranny pan back on today.

Just a note I had fluid in the tranny already so I got to use the drain plug to drain it with. It worked great. There wasnt hardly a tbl sp of fluid left in the pan when I dropped it. So it wasnt raining tranny fluid on me like it usually does.

I went by the hose shop today to inquire about the hose and different fittings. On the tranny it has 1/4 NPT that is converted to a flare. Does anybody know if the flare is inverted flare ? Also what size flare is it (5/16",3/8")?

The fuel filter was too big to spin on the base where have it mounted. The water filter fit perfect b/c it was smaller. I am inquiring with Baldwin now as far as what smaller filters they have that will fit the base. I will probably have to order it from them , but , I will find a cross of a different brand to use in the mean time thats someone stocks here in town.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phurst
LOL, nope, doing 75 in the center lane. By the time I could get over to inspect the damage, the deer was a fair bit back. There was surrounding traffic as well, so it probably got hit at least once more after me.

Yeah Gary, it was a hell of a shot. It's really a massive dent.

Our game laws wont let you do that w/o contacting a warden to investigate it first. However, usually they let people keep it b/c nobody would intentionally let an animal do that kind of damage to their vehicle over a $100.00 worth of meat.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bruno - I think drain plugs are mandatory, including on rear axles. I'm tired of making messes like the one I made yesterday pulling that differential. Sure enough, the diff was stuck and I had to put a jack stand under the nose of it and lower the truck to break it loose. And, I wasn't smart enough to put the jack stand in the large tray that I put on the engine stand, so when the diff let go that black, gooey, smelly 80/90w went everywhere. I will tell ya, the floor in a shop needs to have some kind of finish or you'll have a stain that catches all the dirt and won't come out.

Anyway, glad you are making progress. You did run the fuel line away from the headers? Bummer on the fuel filter, but you'll get it figured out. And, you'll probably be ready to sort out the wires by the time I get back.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
Our game laws wont let you do that w/o contacting a warden to investigate it first. However, usually they let people keep it b/c nobody would intentionally let an animal do that kind of damage to their vehicle over a $100.00 worth of meat.
The kind of bruising and soft tissue damage plus broken bones and ripped fascia that results from a high-speed collision with a truck ruins a lot of the meat, anyways. Like the "bloodshot" meat near the bullet trail. A deer kill by pickup truck isn't a "clean kill"...

Sorry about your truck damage. I do feel sorry for animals having to live in a world full of car-packed roads. Especially turtles, I will stop and help them out of the road.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
4x484150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the set of wheels I have now! Im not keeping the tires, as they're kind of old.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Galendor
The kind of bruising and soft tissue damage plus broken bones and ripped fascia that results from a high-speed collision with a truck ruins a lot of the meat, anyways. Like the "bloodshot" meat near the bullet trail. A deer kill by pickup truck isn't a "clean kill"...

Sorry about your truck damage. I do feel sorry for animals having to live in a world full of car-packed roads. Especially turtles, I will stop and help them out of the road.
Shot out meat x 1000. I bet a car/truck killed deer is really damaged in the meat.

I ran the fuel line down inside the frame. I need to take a good luck tomorrow and be sure its a safe distance from the header. I am a little concerned about the fuel filter being close to the alt though. Especially the filter base I used. It was the one with the funny feeling threads that didnt want to bottom out. So I really need to keep an eye on it or get a different filter head.

On second thought I may want to handle that now while I am looking for a different smaller filter. I dont know if the fittings will ever leak, but , its bothering me that it could.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I like the wheels 4x484150. Those should look fine.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
4x484150
Elder User
Thanks bruno! They came off my Dad's old 86 stepside.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 PM
siloketh
Senior User
today i washed ol' Veronica and found out the heater works, just not sure about the A/C system. searched around on LMC and found some weatherstripping to go all around my doors and windows to help with the drafty and loud wind screaming past my doors, gonna cost me a pretty penny but it'll be worth it for a nice weekend project when the wife is angry at me lol. hey, she picked out the truck for me and drove it home for $650. check it out in my garage

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I dont know what that style is called , but , they have been around for a while. They really make trucks look sporty. I have always liked those.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by siloketh
today i washed ol' Veronica and found out the heater works, just not sure about the A/C system. searched around on LMC and found some weatherstripping to go all around my doors and windows to help with the drafty and loud wind screaming past my doors, gonna cost me a pretty penny but it'll be worth it for a nice weekend project when the wife is angry at me lol. hey, she picked out the truck for me and drove it home for $650. check it out in my garage
Welcome Siloketh! One of the members here Gary Lewis just did a poll or ran a thread about the weatherstrippng for these trucks. Might be worth reading before you give LMC some money.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
4x484150
Elder User
Nice truck Siloketh! And welcome!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
siloketh
Senior User
thanks bruno2 & 4x484150, i'm gonna have to go and check it out. i love the old truck, best christmas present ever, but it has a few nit-picking things going on with it. the truck is in great shape considering its age and runs like a champ. previous owner took really great car of the truck, installed a new wiend 1v carb, reman trans, so many things that its almost new under the hood and it runs like it is, except for a strange sound coming from the tranny. 81 f100 4.9 cyl 300, 4 speed OD. eventually i want to fix all the rust and repaint it back to the original baby blue but do it in a two-tone with a cream white and try and match the interior. i'll post design renderings once there are done here.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always heard those wheels referred to as slotted mag's. Definitely a sporty wheel. Much better for the 4x2 crowd

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?