1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Good news, wheels are in Bad news wheels are in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news, wheels are in Bad news wheels are in...

Okey dokey guys n gals. My new wheels are in amd I love them, but there is a small little problem tho... and of course I didn't find it out until I went to put the last wheel on. The pass side front is the wrong bolt pattern, normally it wouldn't be a problem but these rims are no longer in production so after talking with the company I can either send it back and have them fill and re-drill it to the correct bolt pattern or I can send them back and get a differant set of rims (which I'm not to fond of because I really like these rims) or I can get an adapter and go that route. I'm seriously thinking of just doing the adapter and seeing how much I can get knocked off of them or getting them re-drilled, what do you guys think?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, if ya got a front disc brake conversion, you should be able to get a new rotor in either bolt pattern, 5x5.5 or 5x4.5 from the same vendor as the kit.

Just hope that one doesn't go flat on the highway, lol. Or carry two spares.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I think I'd opt for the redrill. I wouldn't want one oddball wheel on my truck. It would bug me till the day I died. Adapters are not a good option in my opinion. It would make your one wheel stick out farther than the others, the bolt pattern would still be wrong, and there's always the safety issue to think about when dealing with adapters that would keep me from running them, if for no other reason. My 2c.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 PM
tardster
Elder User
I thought about the adapter sticking out farther on that side so if I end up going that route I'd get a spacer for the drivers side. I called speedway and asked about getting differant rotors and they told me I'd have to get a whole new kit @ 375.00 bucks to go to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I dont know why it would cost that much unless the 5x4.5 rotors are smaller in diameter than the 5x5.5's. The only reason I can think of is the 5x4.5 rotors are car rotors and the 5x5.5 are truck rotors so the brackets for the calipers would be off or the guys is just trying to make more $$$ off me, who knows...lol

Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tardster
The only reason I can think of is the 5x4.5 rotors are car rotors and the 5x5.5 are truck rotors so the brackets for the calipers would be off
That is exactly right. And since speedway sells to you the parts they buy from others, they buy a kit and they sell a kit, that's all they have to offer. They don't want to have half a kit laying around on their shelves forever. But if you're going to run two completely different front brakes on each side; rotor, caliper, pads, etc., that is a sure recipe for disaster. You'll be back here next week complaining about brakes pulling to one side.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Yeah, my whole intention of the rotor thing, was that they would be the same diameter.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by havi
Yeah, my whole intention of the rotor thing, was that they would be the same diameter.

They may be the same diameter, and I think you're right, but I do know the 4.5 and the 5.5 kits use different calipers. The 4.5 use a later mid-size GM where the 5.5's use a 70's full size GM caliper. That means different pads and different braking forces, too, which would pose a significant problem. Can you imagine us trying to diagnose that problem? Who among us would ever guess the problem would stem from two completely different brake setups from side to side. Yikes. ;-)

Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
They may be the same diameter, and I think you're right, but I do know the 4.5 and the 5.5 kits use different calipers. The 4.5 use a later mid-size GM where the 5.5's use a 70's full size GM caliper. That means different pads and different braking forces, too, which would pose a significant problem. Can you imagine us trying to diagnose that problem? Who among us would ever guess the problem would stem from two completely different brake setups from side to side. Yikes. ;-)
Sounds like my old plow truck.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Send all the wheels back, make them give your money back and go some were and get better service. I would be quite teed off if a company tried to bs me into settling for inferior expectations. You want four of the same wheels right! That should be very simple service to provide. If they didn't have four why would they throw in an oddball and then give you a runaround?

Hope this works out for you, and....very nice looking truck you have there.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
tardster
Elder User
Heres a question then, why couldn't I use a 5x4.5 rotor aslong as its the same diameter as the 5x5.5's I have on it now? or would the bearing and bearing adapter be differant than what I have on it now. Only reason I'm asking is because I know the 9" in the back is out of a car (it has the 5x4.5 bolt pattern but it has the adapters on it to match the front 5x5.5's. I found that out about 3-4 weeks ago about 7 months to late or I would have gotten the 5x4.5's when I did the conversion.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The first question I have is, did you know when you ordered the rims that they were discontinued? If you didn't, I would send all the wheels back and move onto another company. Any company that sends a set of 4 rims out that don't match, and then can't send the correct one does make a good first impression.

The adapter idea is just plain BAD, and the idea of filling and redrilling on custom wheels does not give me that 'warm fuzzy' feeling.

if you knew about them being discontinued, then I would send these back, look over what they have available and choose something else or shop elsewhere.

just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
tardster
Elder User
I did know that the rims were no longer in production, the company I ordered them from called the manufacturer and they were who sent them the wrong rim. I normally would be tee'd off but when the manufacturer says they are sending you the right wheels you normally dont have to worry about it so I can relate to the place I bought the rims from. I'm sure they dont like this happening just as much as me since it makes them look bad...lol

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I did know that the rims were no longer in production, the company I ordered them from called the manufacturer and they were who sent them the wrong rim. I normally would be tee'd off but when the manufacturer says they are sending you the right wheels you normally dont have to worry about it so I can relate to the place I bought the rims from. I'm sure they dont like this happening just as much as me since it makes them look bad...lol
OK, I thought you had bought then direct. In any event, I'd probably be looking at a different manufacturer myself.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Heres a question then, why couldn't I use a 5x4.5 rotor aslong as its the same diameter as the 5x5.5's I have on it now? or would the bearing and bearing adapter be differant than what I have on it now. Only reason I'm asking is because I know the 9" in the back is out of a car (it has the 5x4.5 bolt pattern but it has the adapters on it to match the front 5x5.5's. I found that out about 3-4 weeks ago about 7 months to late or I would have gotten the 5x4.5's when I did the conversion.
There's more to your brakes than rotor diameter. all of the parts involved are completely different. They don't mix and match that way. The rotors will be offset differently in relation to the hub, which is why they use different brackets and calipers, etc.

But now I'm totally confused about what you have. I assumed you ordered all the same wheels, but are you saying you ordered different bolt pattern wheels front and rear? What is the bolt pattern on your brake kit? This is starting to sound like you have a big mess on your hands.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
no adaptors ed !!!!!!!!!!! had a few bad experiences with those coming off and watching the wheel pass me ............ ya don't wanna know trust me ............... i'd either have it redrilled , or start scrounging on ebay for one . i'll apologize to you and everyone else , ain't been hanging around chasing parts for turd bird to make a few mods ..... gotta have more power !!!!!!!! speed kills and i wanna die quick !!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Good news, wheels are in Bad news wheels are in...