Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Freshman User

twisstedex is starting off with a positive reputation.
is there away to adjust the gear shifter

my reverse lights and back up alarm will not ingage unless i hold up on the shifter while in reverse the only thing i found was a adjuster for the indicator .any one else have this prob
Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Maybe you need to replace the bushings for the shifter?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Posting Guru

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
I would take off the covers on the column and take a look at the bolts holding everything down. You may find some loose causing the issues.
2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
1. Move your driver seat all the way back
2. Remove the lower dash (4 thumbscrews)
3. Chock the wheels and set the parking brake
4. Get your keys and turn it to the first position
5. Drop the shift lever into 1st
6. Lay on your back and look up while gently moving the gear shift and you'll notice two brass colored screws that are either loose if not about to fall out.
7. R&R the two torx screws with some loctite and never worry about the problem again. Worked for me!
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Studded, Deleted, Flo-Pro'd, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood, sweat, and tears by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
6. Lay on your back and look up while gently moving the gear shift and you'll notice two brass colored screws that are either loose if not about to fall out.
7. R&R the two torx screws with some loctite and never worry about the problem again. Worked for me!
I did this to mine recently but without doing steps 3, 4, or 5.

One of those two screws had fallen all the way out and my truck wouldn't shift into park at all.

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Here is what they look like! The two brass colored screws directly up from my finger, don't remove both screws, if they are loose tighten up one, then remove the other put a drop of red Lock-Tite on it, then tighten that one down, and repeat on the other one.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
New User

StickMonkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steps worked perfectly. Need a T30 torx head.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior User

dockrocker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does this tighten up a "loose" gear level? The shifter on my 2000 is wobblier than a politician on election day....
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockrocker View Post
Does this tighten up a "loose" gear level? The shifter on my 2000 is wobblier than a politician on election day....
It might, I know mine was tough to get in park, and they both were ready to fall out. But I still have some play and I'm gonna be replacing the Transmission Shift Position switch this weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

I did PB Blast it and it already seems to be a little better, and it might also just be the cable needs some lube.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post

It took me 3 attempts before I figured out where to look.....
I kept looking up under the steering column under the wheel,
I even removed the lower cover on the steering column....

Finally I stuck my head down by the brake pedal and
look BACK up the steering column. THEN I found it.
After I tightened those 2 torx screws my shifter is much better.

Thanks for this info!
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
It took me 3 attempts before I figured out where to look.....
I kept looking up under the steering column under the wheel,
I even removed the lower cover on the steering column....

Finally I stuck my head down by the brake pedal and
look BACK up the steering column. THEN I found it.
After I tightened those 2 torx screws my shifter is much better.

Thanks for this info!
And thank you for that update - I stuck my head in there this morning and could not for the life of me find those screws. Will give it another shot later today!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior User

Got in there, found the screws, both are nice and tight but I still have a lot of play in the shift lever. Not sure what to do at this point, so I guess I'll just live with it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockrocker View Post
Got in there, found the screws, both are nice and tight but I still have a lot of play in the shift lever. Not sure what to do at this point, so I guess I'll just live with it.

Cool, glad I'm not the only one that was baffled (or spoke up!)

Mine only wiggles a little bit now before it felt like it'd fall off.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Senior User

Dan Reinbold is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Dan Reinbold is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Same here, I tightened those torx bolts real tight. Still have a wobbly selector. I'll dig into it when I find the time.

2004 Excursion Limited Ultimate 4x4, V-10, 3.73, BF Goodrich T/A KO 305/70/R16, Rear Hellwig.
Bought July 2010 with 89,000.

Mods to come: Rancho XL9000, '08+ Telescoping Tow Mirrors, 5-Star, Rear rear bench mod.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Posting Guru

Excursion4X4 has a good reputation on FTE.Excursion4X4 has a good reputation on FTE.
Just tightened mine up today. Had one most of the way out, and a loose shifter. Now both are good and tight and the shifter is almost like new!

05 Excursion 4x4 6.0
06 focus ses
13 Flex Limited, AWD
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
1999, 2000, 2003, 99, adjust, adjustment, car, excursion, expedition, f150, f250, ford, gear, loose, shift, shifter, superduty, tighten