Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior User

Lloydable is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Strange fluid leak

Hey, I walked outside to take the trash out this morning, and noticed that there is a 3 inch wet spot under the truck and some time of oil running down of the center bracket for the sterring stabilizer. the fluid is yellow...

I haven't driven it in a few days and temps have been fluctuating pretty significantly.

I was trying to think of any kind of fluid that is yellow?

Click the image to open in full size.

Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Posting Guru

cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is it diesel fuel ? Maybe out of the drain valve
Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj45lc View Post
Is it diesel fuel ? Maybe out of the drain valve

thats what I though initially, and I changed my fuel filter about 2000 miles ago with no issues. It has no diesel smell, and drips like an oil more than a fuel (even though they are both oil)...

I don't think its fuel... I have this feeling that driving it will resolve the issue but I should probably figure out what it is.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Senior User

th67ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anit freeze? If you have the gold stuff??? I don't know I'm just guessing

I would check the fuel filter cap to make sure it's tight and check the drain tube for the bowl to make sure the o-rings haven't let go?

....Tom
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss View Post
Anit freeze? If you have the gold stuff??? I don't know I'm just guessing

I would check the fuel filter cap to make sure it's tight and check the drain tube for the bowl to make sure the o-rings haven't let go?

....Tom
Mines Green...

I'll check that to be 100% sure its not fuel, i noticed a drip hanging off the steering stabilizer bracket in the picture and it was a bright yellow... no strong smell just the faint smell of oil...
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Just one year at a time..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
The fluid is from the stabilizer itself. It's yellow.

When I flushed my hydraulic system last year, I jacked up the front end of the truck to make it easier for my wife to turn the steering lock-to-lock while pumping out ATF and pouring in new with the engine running.

After repeatedly exercising the steering travel fully many times in rapid succession, I too discovered a yellow fluid directly under the steering dampener. Too much exercise, too rapidly, in too short a time, caused fluid to leak past the piston seals.

Since only a small amount leaked, I haven't noticed any difference in dampening performance, so I have not changed the unit.

Yours is likely leaking from a different reason, like old age of the seals or a nick in the piston.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
The fluid is from the stabilizer itself. It's yellow.

When I flushed my hydraulic system last year, I jacked up the front end of the truck to make it easier for my wife to turn the steering lock-to-lock while pumping out ATF and pouring in new with the engine running.

After repeatedly exercising the steering travel fully many times in rapid succession, I too discovered a yellow fluid directly under the steering dampener. Too much exercise, too rapidly, in too short a time, caused fluid to leak past the piston seals.

Since only a small amount leaked, I haven't noticed any difference in dampening performance, so I have not changed the unit.

Pop

Is there another dampner besides the stabilizer, because that isn't even on the truck. I bought a spare to keep with me and tried just not running one. So I don't have a stailizer to leak...
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Check your fan clutch, it might be leaking oil.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Posting Guru

mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
Check your fan clutch, it might be leaking oil.
That is my vote. Got the same leak on mine. Just waiting for my lpop to get here so I can kill a few leaks with one project.

2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Just one year at a time..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydable View Post
Is there another dampner besides the stabilizer, because that isn't even on the truck. I bought a spare to keep with me and tried just not running one. So I don't have a stailizer to leak...
Well, that certainly rules THAT out!

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmaker View Post
That is my vote. Got the same leak on mine. Just waiting for my lpop to get here so I can kill a few leaks with one project.

So I should just look behind the main fan behind the radiator? I am more IT geared than mechanics. I am guessing there should be oil on the module that spins the large fan?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Posting Guru

cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.cj45lc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Maybe get a flashlight & get under & trace the leak uphill
Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Posting Guru

mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydable View Post
So I should just look behind the main fan behind the radiator? I am more IT geared than mechanics. I am guessing there should be oil on the module that spins the large fan?
Yep, I found oil on the flange of the fan. Don't know how much oil is in there. Mine quick leaking so I am thinking it no longer has oil in it and is probably no longer working properly.

Look from underneath. You should be able to reach up to the fan and see if there is oil on the flange under the clutch in the center of the fan.

2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior User

Ok, so i know this is an old thread, but the leak stopped.
But last night i change to Full syn 5w40 and was checking for leaks, well i found one, but not oil.

It is Antifreeze out of the same location as the original post. Here are pics of where it is coming from.

The question: What the hell is that, why is it intermittent, and how do i fix it.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Posting Guru

That's the return hose from the heater core. Take it off clean the threads & teflon tape should fix you right up.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 PM