transmission bad!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 AM
nickwestover17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission bad!!??

alright im new here and im worried i may have ruined my trans. i have a 1999 7.3 4wd auto trans. i removed a temp sensor and pluged it but it leaked enough fluid out that made my trans stop working. i didnt drive it around for more than ten minutes before i realized something was wrong. i shut it off and have not put any fluid in yet. it will not go in reverse and barely moved in drive. does it just need to be refilled or did i do damage? i will not be able to sleep until i know. and also do i fill it through the check tube? how much does it take? thanks for any help. i hope my trans is not ruined and it just needs fluid

Old 10-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,589 Likes on 1,063 Posts
If you try to drive it when it barely moves you will ruin it. If you refill it before ruining it you probably have not damaged anything.

A totally dry 4R100 takes almost 18 quarts. You can't leak that much out of a trans. Put a quart in it through the dipstick tube and check the level with the engine idling in park. Keep adding one quart at a time until you get a reading on the stick. Don't fill to the full mark yet.

Now drive the truck to warm up the trans. Check the level again after 10 miles and set it halfway between ADD and MAX.