General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Traffic Jams

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:42 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Traffic Jams

Well, I was in my first traffic jam today. It was night time out, and traffic was at a dead stop for about 2 hours. It actually wasn't a traffic jam, but a major accident, and a BIG pile up. the funny thing was, some cars were trying to cheat by cutting across the grass to the other side of the highway. One car got stuck in the snow trying to make it over lol. I was so angry that I didn't have my truck, because if I did, I'd cheat, and easily make it to the other side. Oh well. My question to you guys is:
What was your longest traffic jam you were in?
What did you do to pass the time?
Did you get angry, or did you just calmly say "I will be out of here shortly?"
What I did was, I played with the radio, and then my temper started lol
So guys, tell your stories

Last edited by mbnv992; 02-23-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:57 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Jams

Maine, summer, a few years ago on US 1. Sat there for 2 1/2 hours, moved about 6 feet the whole time. I ended up getting out, cracking a beer, standing on the side of the road, (wasn;t my turn to drive anymore), and waiting there for stuff to start moving. By the time we went, I had a nice buzz. Hell, even had time to walk across the street to the quickie mart and use the bathroom..

Old 02-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Joe fix it
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traffic Jams

The longest one I was in was 20min on a school bus. They were doing construction and had only 1 lane open for both direction to go. I ended up being late for school by about 10min. This don't sound like much but for a town of about 500 people it is odd

Old 02-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Traffic Jams

well i was in a traffic jam for my first time when i had to leave mississippi and go to memphis..i have never been in a traffic jam before because i live way out in dixie land with gravel roads and mud...but i was in one for about hour and half so we weren't moving so i said i'll just turn my truck off and listen to the cd player,cranked hank williams jr for awhile then i thought about starting a moonshineing business...then looked at the woman who was behind me then i got my truck manual out and just started looking at stuff I was so board......my first and last traffic jam i assure u

Old 02-23-2003, 10:29 PM
TrunkSlammer
Senior User
Traffic Jams

EVERY DAY!!!!!

Old 02-23-2003, 11:42 PM
FordRancher
Senior User
Traffic Jams

About 2 minutes waiting for the neighbors to get their cattle across the road Gotta love the country life I try to avoid the big traffic towns when I can, and if I have to go I make sure to avoid the rush hours.

Old 02-23-2003, 11:43 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
Traffic Jams

An avalanche closed Berthoud Pass west of Denver one evening as I was coming back from snowboarding, and I sat in my car for 5 hours with a buddy. No beer, no food, and I couldn't turn around...even if I did, it would have taken me 6 hours to get home! Oh, and I only had 3 CD's, and no radio reception.
I got home and drank 12 pack after 12 pack...
BDV

Old 02-24-2003, 08:54 AM
ikone
New User
Traffic Jams

Nothing can **** you off like a trafficjam...GRRR!

Old 02-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Traffic Jams

What torques me the most is when a traffic jam is caused by gawkers driving by an accident. Keep your eyes on the road and don't worry about the accident scene, the police are there to take care of it. I usually leave for work too early to get into a lot of traffic and work late enough to miss rush hour in the evening. I have sat for 1-2 hours in traffic before(previous job), but I was getting paid at the time, so I didn't mind.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:42 AM
bigk300
Junior User
Traffic Jams

my last traffic jam was last friday and the one before that thursday and so on its a constant traffic jam here they cant stop working on the roads i personaly think its a covert plan to keep people from speeding and to increase revenue from traffic fines by people getting so pissed that they stomp it the minuite they are free from construction or do somthing as rash as jump through the grass median to get around it then they let the idiots out during the rain which only complicates stuff

yes traffic jams bring out the inner demon in me i go from an easy going docile human into yelling screaming bird flipping mouth foaming lunatic that wishes he had his 357 magnum under his seat desiring to kill any one with a cell phone glued to their ear and any woman putting on make up and weaving all over the road like those lines are merely a suggestion
and the littile ricer boys reving up there hondas and doin mini burn outs every time traffic inches forward and those friggin loud ^$$ stereos playing so loud as to make me feel like my head is gonna explode.....................etc etc

maybe i need anger mangement lol or just convince the wife to move back out in the sticks from which we came

-Kevin

Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traffic Jams

Ben a few years since this but...

Got stuck in a surprise snow storm in Portland one year. Took me over 3 hours to get home from work, 30 miles. It was snowing like heck and me being a California boy I was careful and had studs all around on my SHO. So I crept along doingas best as I could. Other a#@!!%$ parked their cars right on the freeway and I don't mean the shoulder. They just stopped and parked in whatever lane they were in. So to pass the time I got to play obstacle course. It was too bloody cold to stand outside and drink a beer, just sit in the car with defrosters on high.

I got home fine after 3+ hours and about 50 feet from my front gate, as I made the turn into my drive, I put it in the ditch. Man I hate snow.

Jim Henderson

Old 02-24-2003, 10:33 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Traffic Jams

I was stuck on Interstate 35 north of Kansas City for two hours because of an accident that closed the northbound lane about 10 years ago. A tanker truck flipped and the cops were afraid it was going to spread anhydrous ammonia. I was towing a cattle trailer (empty) with a 1975 IH 3/4 ton truck that I used to own. Let me tell you, International Harvester DID NOT give a lot of thought to creature comfort when they built this truck. The temperture was in the 20's, one of those days where the sun is shining but it's colder than a well digger's belt buckle. So I had the heater on, but after awhile it got too hot, so I rolled the window down, then it gets too cold, etc. The truck only had an AM radio and all I could get on it was talk radio. I got out and walked around a bit, smoked about 30 cigarettes, and drank two Cokes before the road finally opened up.

Most of the cars around me just acted like it was something they had faced before, no big deal, but I still have'nt towed a trailer to the big city since then. And I made sure that every truck I've gotten since the old 1210 had an AM/FM radio. And I still hate talk radio!

Old 02-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
Traffic Jams

i get into 15 min. delays every time i work day shifts. winnipeg has bad traffic congrestion and there are way to many traffic lights. i do get a little irratable cause all day i work in and drive cars so i dont want to be sititn gin them any more

Old 02-24-2003, 11:00 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User
Traffic Jams

Usually I just pop a Godsmack or Ozzy cd in and bang my head on the steering wheel till it's over. Not much you can do but sit & wait.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:06 AM
bigk300
Junior User
Traffic Jams

Originally posted by AOGDEN
Usually I just pop a Godsmack or Ozzy cd in and bang my head on the steering wheel till it's over. Not much you can do but sit & wait.
burn me a copy maybe this will help me......................

or fuel my insanity

Quick Reply: Traffic Jams