6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7L Oil Change Info - Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
blueheron
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul:

Many thanks for your participation in this forum. I look forward to future words of wisdom.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Come on, this sounds like we should all toast to PAUL. Put some meat on those bones, and I too will raise my glass. What did Jack Webb say: "Just the facts"...

How was the the oil pan issue resolved from the 6.4's? Was a large enough sump designed into the 6.7? From my limited knowledge, seems we need a 5 gallon sump, because above, you still say fuel oil slobber gets into oil pan. There are so many good words FORD coins, such as bed plate, I cannot keep up with the jargon.

I am still gun shy of the 6.7, but looking! OOPS, on edit. I had 3 gallon before, when I meant 5 gallon, so we don't have to short stick our oil checks. SORRY...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no bed plate on the 6.7......unfortunately. I always thought that was the one thing that Navistar did right!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 720Deere
There is no bed plate on the 6.7......unfortunately. I always thought that was the one thing that Navistar did right!
Please explain? What was right about it. More than 20% of the bedplates warped. The cab comes off. Then the engine comes out. AND Navistar had that right??????

Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
summet20
Senior User
quick question? What is it with this oil pan and the way its designed? Not really liking the oil plug either, it scares me that it wont last long. Then again I'm use to a drain plug that unscrews and comes out.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by summet20
quick question? What is it with this oil pan and the way its designed? Not really liking the oil plug either, it scares me that it wont last long. Then again I'm use to a drain plug that unscrews and comes out.
I really like the new drain plug. It's so easy to remove and yet secure and still assures it is not going to fall out on the road. Once you have it out and look at it closely, you'll see that Ford really did their homework on the engineering. Very robust guide pins and locking notch. The rubber seal seems to be very robust as well. I was planning to get a Fumoto valve but no longer want one.

The pan is a poly-composite material that is far superior to the traditional pans. It's lighter and insulates against NVH as well. I did a video review of the drain plug during my first oil change. Here's a link to the thread in the tech folder if you care to watch it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nge-video.html

Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worrying about the drain plug is like worrying about the weather, waste of time...works great

Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fair question... I will answer some of the specifics for block design in a separate thread.

-Paul

Originally Posted by rmosso1
Come on, this sounds like we should all toast to PAUL. Put some meat on those bones, and I too will raise my glass. What did Jack Webb say: "Just the facts"...

How was the the oil pan issue resolved from the 6.4's? Was a large enough sump designed into the 6.7? From my limited knowledge, seems we need a 5 gallon sump, because above, you still say fuel oil slobber gets into oil pan. There are so many good words FORD coins, such as bed plate, I cannot keep up with the jargon.

I am still gun shy of the 6.7, but looking! OOPS, on edit. I had 3 gallon before, when I meant 5 gallon, so we don't have to short stick our oil checks. SORRY...

Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Curious, I did my first OC today, at 6,000 miles, and the oil definitely smells weird and it is black as coal baby. This is my first diesel so maybe the smell is to be expected given the chance for fuel in the oil.

Has anyone else seen that the oil is THAT black? Again, maybe it's a diesel thing. I ran the V10 on Motorcraft synthetic blend, and when I changed it it was still somewhat transparent, somewhat but pretty dark.

Also, I saw 13 quarts to fill after changing filter. I put 13 in and it's not even on the cable, even after I let it idle for 10 minutes and then sit for about 5 more and then checked.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The soot in a diesel engine always turns the oil black. No surprise there.

Give the oil a few minutes to drain to the pan before you check the level.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done four oil changes and have not been able to contain the oil. My next plan is to take a gallon milk jug and cut the side out and hold it upside down to get the oil in a verticle flow. Still love the truck.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JReinert
I have done four oil changes and have not been able to contain the oil. My next plan is to take a gallon milk jug and cut the side out and hold it upside down to get the oil in a verticle flow. Still love the truck.
I found an oil pan that catches the oil easily. It is large and the edges are rolled inside the pan. Pretty sure you can find one at most auto parts stores. You can see it in the video in this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nge-video.html

Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I've got a similar one, lower profile and wider opening, color is yellow. Mine came from Wally World or Auto Zone but I've had it for 10 years or more. Did mine the same way, hold it up to the truck pull the plug and then set it down. Get you a 5 gal jug from floor cleaner or a paint bucket and use that to carry the oil back to the parts store with.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I usually use a 5 gallon bucket. They are tall enough that they are very close to the drain plug. And they are large enough to hold all the oil in a powerstroke. After I drain, I snap the lid on and take it to a recycling location.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recycle my oil by dumping it in my waste oil boiler and heating my house and garage.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 6.7L Oil Change Info - Clarification