6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7L Oil Change Info - Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
6.7L Oil Change Info - Clarification

1st post, long time lurker, recently joined as an FTE member. I work for Ford btw and my name is Paul.

The 6.7L is more efficient from a base engine design perspective. Migrating to the CGI block material from grey iron results in much less cylinder bore distortion as well. DPF regeneration impact on oil has also been reduced significantly by using fewer "active" DPF regen cycles (post injection) in favor of "passive" regen.

The end result is far less fuel in oil dilution under most operating conditions. Extended idle and low speed stationary power applications can accelerate fuel in oil percentages over time to some extent. Truck operation at moderate highway speeds will keep this in check.

The oil life monitor/systems programming is designed such that it monitors the engines operating parameters (temp, speed, engine load, frequency of dpf regen events, etc.) and adjust oil change intervals accordingly. Some of our fleet development vehicles such as FP&L have reported >9K miles before the oil monitor activated. Note that these fleet test vehicles, along with the others we have across the country have an oil analysis performed after every oil change in most cases.

During engine development it was determined that DSI (down stream injection or 9th injector) was less desireable for a number of factors for this engine program. Refinement of the active/passive regeneration strategy, eliminating the complexity of having another low pressure fuel system to manage, improved engine efficiency and the cost were just a few of the variables.

My intent is to post from time to time when the opportunity presents itself and learn what I can to help make our products better in the future. Please know that I only frequent FTE once a week or so when workload permits and athough unfortuneately I'm unable to respond to every question or concern on the forum regarding the 6.7L or Super Duty, I will try to provide relevant information when/where I can (such as above) within the guidelines of the company. Typically I've found that hearing direct feedback from multiple owners on a particular topic/thread provides a good overview of what the good the bad and the ugly is.

Thanks for your time, have a great day!

-Paul

Disclaimer: I work at Ford, and this is my own opinion and is not the opinion of Ford Motor Company.

The following 3 users liked this post by pbruckne:
Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, Paul. And thanks for the detail! These topics have come up many times on this forum. Much appreciated!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
Welcome to FTE Paul and thank you in advance for any/all information that you are able to give us here.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome Paul! Hopefully the members won't bury you with problems or PMs and we will enjoy your input from time to time for a long time to come. It's always good to get some design perspective.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Welcome Paul and thank you for this information and look forward to learning additional information about our trucks.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Shakedown St.
Junior User
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to know you guys are out there listening and willing to offer your time to give us info like this!!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info Paul... Look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Thanks Paul. It's always interesting to know why certain decision were made.

I just got my 1st oil change today at 5,000 miles. Not because the message center directed me to, but because I've always thought the 1st oil change should come at earlier than normal interval. It would be wonderful if I got 8000-9000 between oil changes like you mention some of your fleet customers. I tow daily. So I consider my mile severe service.

My only compliant so far, is how fast the Michelin tires are wearing.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the info

Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am pleased to have you aboard. Great info

Regards

Old 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome aboard Paul. We appreciate your perspective. A little bit of "why" goes a long way understanding a particular design. You'll be able to help out a lot with many questions.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you! I do appreciate the warm welcome.

-Paul

Old 10-13-2010, 04:50 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is hard to assign the real value that Paul's visits to this site bring to us new truck owners. After years of bashing by the OB guys, it sure looks like Ford has built a winner they can not work over. His short 9th injector explanation was priceless. Thanks

Regards

Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Paul, glad to haver you and well stated! We hope you come back occasionally and drop some more info on us. Knowledge is power and it helps us to understand these sophisticated production trucks! I've had three Ford trucks in the past. . .this new 6.7 is the only one that I've ever had an emotional attachment - it's that good!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Champ198, we've fished a few tourny's together, I believe at the TOC. Long time ago.

Ref Paul and the info he supplies, outstanding and well appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: 6.7L Oil Change Info - Clarification