2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

23 F350 Proximity unlock issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 06:47 PM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
23 F350 Proximity unlock issue

Anyone have an issue with their proximity lock/unlock feature that is built into the door handles on the front doors? Mine was working fine and now the lock button does not work and if I put my hand behind the door handle it will not unlock either. Truck was bought new in Dec 23 and now only has less than 2000 miles on it.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:17 PM
the1adman
5th Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HDGuy23
Anyone have an issue with their proximity lock/unlock feature that is built into the door handles on the front doors? Mine was working fine and now the lock button does not work and if I put my hand behind the door handle it will not unlock either. Truck was bought new in Dec 23 and now only has less than 2000 miles on it.
Did this occur after getting them wet? I had the same issue on a new Charger I purchased. It would happen after heavy rain or when they got wet. The dealer replaced both with a updated part number and never had the issue again.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:18 PM
teamhypoxia
5th Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Do mirrors and running boards extend? Any lights come on?
What trim level do you have? Mine has settings in the screen menus for "Approach detection" or some such.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:27 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Left side under handle unlocks, right underside locks.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:51 PM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia
Do mirrors and running boards extend? Any lights come on?
What trim level do you have? Mine has settings in the screen menus for "Approach detection" or some such.
Lariat Ultimate. No lights. Steps and mirrors normal

Old 03-03-2024, 10:43 PM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by the1adman
Did this occur after getting them wet? I had the same issue on a new Charger I purchased. It would happen after heavy rain or when they got wet. The dealer replaced both with a updated part number and never had the issue again.
been raining a little lately is all. Nothing too major.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:41 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
mine have failed to work 1 or 2 times. start the truck and they work again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old 03-04-2024, 08:15 AM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
The steps work when I walk up to the truck. It’s just the lock and unlock with the handles that’s not working. Need a dealer visit I guess

Old 03-04-2024, 01:03 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Same issue on my July 2023. Dealer could not find an issue. Next day it stopped again and sent them a video. Their only suggestion was to bring it in when it was acting up.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:29 AM
Ford Motor Company
FordPro
Received 650 Likes on 535 Posts
Good morning! Feel free to send us a DM with your vehicle's VIN and mileage. I’d like to see what I can do to assist with having your lock/unlock issues addressed.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:07 PM
Papa Foxtrot
Cross-Country
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
TL/DR: have you tried charging the battery(ies)?

Something I found after getting my truck was that it needed to have a trickle charger on it for a bit after I first got it. I was continuously getting low battery messages in the app, and noticed the approach and door handle sensors would not work. I have the dual AGM batteries mind you, and this was still an issue. It seems there are so many electronic systems that are constantly leeching from the electrical system. Unless you're driving the truck daily, it is surprising how quickly the voltage drops. Even with auto updates and such turned off, there clearly is quite a bit of background functions taking place when parked (such as GPS and all of the data constantly being sent to Ford for general vehicle status).

Just the other day, after not driving it for a couple weeks I noticed that neither the approach nor the door handle unlock features worked. Truck cranked right up and all, and after driving 20 minutes to my destination, the approach and door handle unlocking features both worked. It's been on trickle charger for 1.5 days currently and still showing not fully charged.

Interesting, the low battery messages in the app never showed up again in the past 6+ months, even though the symptoms of low battery voltage have been present.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 PM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot
TL/DR: have you tried charging the battery(ies)?

Something I found after getting my truck was that it needed to have a trickle charger on it for a bit after I first got it. I was continuously getting low battery messages in the app, and noticed the approach and door handle sensors would not work. I have the dual AGM batteries mind you, and this was still an issue. It seems there are so many electronic systems that are constantly leeching from the electrical system. Unless you're driving the truck daily, it is surprising how quickly the voltage drops. Even with auto updates and such turned off, there clearly is quite a bit of background functions taking place when parked (such as GPS and all of the data constantly being sent to Ford for general vehicle status).

Just the other day, after not driving it for a couple weeks I noticed that neither the approach nor the door handle unlock features worked. Truck cranked right up and all, and after driving 20 minutes to my destination, the approach and door handle unlocking features both worked. It's been on trickle charger for 1.5 days currently and still showing not fully charged.

Interesting, the low battery messages in the app never showed up again in the past 6+ months, even though the symptoms of low battery voltage have been present.
Dual AGM batteries in mine as well. I have a battery meter on my amplifier. It constantly shows low 14s and high 13s - low 14s when the stereo is playing. Also just got back from a 400 mile round trip so plenty of driving and charging. No luck I have been going door to door and trying all touches, angles, pokes, and prayers haha. The keypad still works. The power steps sense me walking up to the truck and deploy and the lights also come on when I walk up to it. Just the door handles it seems are not working. It just happened out of the blue and it’s been probably a week or better now and still not working.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:22 AM
Papa Foxtrot
Cross-Country
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Dual AGM batteries in mine as well. I have a battery meter on my amplifier. It constantly shows low 14s and high 13s - low 14s when the stereo is playing. Also just got back from a 400 mile round trip so plenty of driving and charging. No luck I have been going door to door and trying all touches, angles, pokes, and prayers haha. The keypad still works. The power steps sense me walking up to the truck and deploy and the lights also come on when I walk up to it. Just the door handles it seems are not working. It just happened out of the blue and it’s been probably a week or better now and still not working.
Ah, ok, I was hoping low battery voltage could be the culprit and a relatively easy fix. Sorry to hear like it's something else. Hopefully it'll turn out to be something else relatively easy to fix.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2024, 08:42 AM
HDGuy23
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot
Ah, ok, I was hoping low battery voltage could be the culprit and a relatively easy fix. Sorry to hear like it's something else. Hopefully it'll turn out to be something else relatively easy to fix.
Yeah me too. Here is the digital readout from the amplifier.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:30 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Same exact issue I am having.

Quick Reply: 23 F350 Proximity unlock issue