1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New 1977 F150 owner, looking for some help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 04:29 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New 1977 F150 owner, looking for some help!

Hi there! I'm from Montana and I just found a Truck that I've been looking for a while!
A 1977 F-150, Manual, 4x4, two tone (midnight blue/light blue) and I just got it yesterday.

Two tone, midnight blue metallic + light blue

About the truck: Runs and drives beautifully, nothing really wrong with the drivetrain! Brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, a few bushings, radiator and all belts were done (things that I am familiar with). I don't have much information about the history of the truck. Last owner had limited info when he bought it and drove it for 2 years with no issues. I also don't have much knowledge when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Sorry if I sound dumb but I am trying to learn as much as possible about the truck!

The main question: Well, there's some wiring done inside of the truck that I have no clue where to begin. I took a picture so any information you guys have any info or identify what I am looking at (specially things you guys consider aftermarket), that would be awesome. The radio and the spotlight don't work at the moment and before touching anything, I want to know what I am dealing with. Also, where's the das tank switch!?

Secondary question: I am going to attach a picture of the engine here too. Is there anything that was done aftermarket that I should be aware of? (for example: Any "airbox delete"; anything visually different than stock?)

I really appreciate all the help and I apologize if the questions were too basic, it's just that I am not familiar with the truck and history on it was very hard to find.

Tig

Old 12-16-2023, 05:20 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 740 Likes on 593 Posts
Hey Tig, nice truck! Great score.
Can’t help with the wiring, or much of the stock versus aftermarket stuff until I get to a bigger screen, but I’ll say it looks like your clutch and brake pedals are not quite in sync.
The brake pedal looks too low, and the clutch pedal looks too high. They should be at relatively equal heights, while still being able to use them.
There is a specification for the clutch pedal. However, the brake pedal is usually not adjustable if I remember.
But it can be changed, whether accidentally or on purpose, by changing components, such as the master cylinder, booster, or pedal rod.
Same for the clutch.

Good luck with the new to you ride.
Hopefully the previous owner didn’t sell it after such a short time because of hidden problems that might crop up from time to time.
But if they do, we’ll try to help out with those too.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-16-2023, 07:32 PM
4x4 Bart
Fleet Mechanic
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Need to carefully trace each wire. Probably need a wiring diagram to help with identifying what should go where.
I have bought several trucks that ended up having a lot of unnecessary wiring that I ended up removing.
Many times there are extra wires for radios, speakers and accessories that are no longer there.
I think the pedals were offset from 77-79.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4x4 Bart:
Old 12-16-2023, 08:01 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Hey Tig, nice truck! Great score.
Can’t help with the wiring, or much of the stock versus aftermarket stuff until I get to a bigger screen, but I’ll say it looks like your clutch and brake pedals are not quite in sync.
The brake pedal looks too low, and the clutch pedal looks too high. They should be at relatively equal heights, while still being able to use them.
There is a specification for the clutch pedal. However, the brake pedal is usually not adjustable if I remember.
But it can be changed, whether accidentally or on purpose, by changing components, such as the master cylinder, booster, or pedal rod.
Same for the clutch.

Good luck with the new to you ride.
Hopefully the previous owner didn’t sell it after such a short time because of hidden problems that might crop up from time to time.
But if they do, we’ll try to help out with those too.
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I did some research on the pedal height after reading your reply and turns out that it's the way 77 trucks are, unfortunately!

Old 12-16-2023, 08:05 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 4x4 Bart
Need to carefully trace each wire. Probably need a wiring diagram to help with identifying what should go where.
I have bought several trucks that ended up having a lot of unnecessary wiring that I ended up removing.
Many times there are extra wires for radios, speakers and accessories that are no longer there.
I think the pedals were offset from 77-79.
I appreciate the reply! Yes, I'm going to get ahold of a wiring diagram to see if I can figure something out. There are wires that have been cut there too.

I believe you're right about the pedals.

I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm looking at, tho!

Thank you!

Old 12-17-2023, 07:41 AM
jflem
Mountain Pass
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
There are several items under your dash that are not factory. Also if it has two fuel tanks the switch will be where your heater controls are. Under the hood looks original to me.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:33 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 484 Likes on 319 Posts
The pedals look fine to me for a factory power brake truck. I bought a '79 new, and am almost positive they were like yours.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:48 AM
77&79F250
Received 3,348 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Ok welcome to FTE nice truck. Lets talk about all the red boxes, those do not look like any OEM wiring or items at all. The one R/H one looks like a CB antenna connector. That big black box..does it have added on cruise control? Like the control switch is on the turning signal lever? I have NEVER seen that much difference in a clutch and brake pedal. That looks like WAY to much difference. I do not see the coil spring that is normally in the groove at the top of the clutch pedal. Looks to have some blue insulation panels added. I see a common curtesy light, but the lone bulb to the right is not common. Trace one wire at a time and ck fuses when things to not work. if it has OEM dual tanks, the tank switch should be in the environmental control panel. And opposite side of the blower speed switch.

So under the hood, I see it once had the dual battery set up. At least the 2nd battery box is still there on the dvr side. Was/is this truck a Camper Special? And you are missing the flexable duct between the plastic core support mounted air duct and the air filter neck. No worries, that commonly missing. So it has a ac compressor but does not have the giant OEM evaporator box in the engine compartment. Does it have a under dash a/c in the truck? Or like inside the glove box and or under that area?

Old 12-17-2023, 12:53 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,157 Likes on 1,830 Posts
Going off 77&79 post above
The CB ANT. connection to the far right looks to be for dual ANT wipes as it has 2 cables going into it?
Are there brackets mounted to the mirrors for CB wipes on each side?
You can start at the connection and follow it out to where it might go.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS: That big black box to the left could be for the spot lights if they are HID's.
That would be the transformer to the HID lights you may have one on the other side as each light should have it's own transformer.
Start at each spot light and follow the wires inside to see where they go.
Then if they dont work you may find a wire not right or the switch somewhere for them.
I say this because I added HID driving lights to my 02 durango in place of the factory fog lights and each light has it's own transformer tucked up behind the bumper.

I also see a lone bulb above the CB connection by the ground wire screwed to the bottom of the dash.
Could this be for the ash tray? I cant think of anything else it could be.
Dave ----

Old 12-17-2023, 12:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,157 Likes on 1,830 Posts
It looks like someone extended the mirrors out maybe for a bed camper or trailer?
If trailer you may have a trailer brake controller wiring under the dash also.
A clue would be a 7 pin trailer light connection out back.

Either could be why dual batteries were in the truck but mostly thinking bed camper.
Dave ----

Old 12-17-2023, 09:25 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
Lots of good info from everyone! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to get back to me!

I got the truck last Friday, going to get it registered tomorrow, then I'm going to take a closer look at what you guys suggested so far!

By the way, I did a quick search on the forum and apparently the wiring diagram for 1977 f150s is the only one missing!

I'll write back here with more info soon!

Old 12-18-2023, 07:24 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
That big black box..does it have added on cruise control? Like the control switch is on the turning signal lever?
It does not have cruise control!

I do not see the coil spring that is normally in the groove at the top of the clutch pedal. Looks to have some blue insulation panels added. I see a common curtesy light, but the lone bulb to the right is not common. Trace one wire at a time and ck fuses when things to not work. if it has OEM dual tanks, the tank switch should be in the environmental control panel. And opposite side of the blower speed switch.
Alright, I am going to do some research about the coil spring at the top of the clutch pedal. I am going to trace the wires as soon as I have time. Got the OEM tanks and the tank switch figured out, everything is working fine! Thank you.

​​​​​​​Was/is this truck a Camper Special?
Given the fact that it has space for 2 batteries, has some hookups in the bed, extended mirrors, I am starting to believe that it is a camper special. Nothing on the truck or on the title says so, but please check a picture that I posted at the bottom of this post and give me your thoughts on it!

​​​​​​​So it has a ac compressor but does not have the giant OEM evaporator box in the engine compartment. Does it have a under dash a/c in the truck? Or like inside the glove box and or under that area?
I don't see anything related to an a/c, also not on the glovebox. This is what the interior looks like, (I know the seats are aftermarket.) let me know if you spot something. If this model was supposed to have an OEM a/c, I'll put on my to do list to have it back on the truck, since the compressor is there.

​​​​​​​THIS IS JUST A GUESS: That big black box to the left could be for the spot lights if they are HID's.
That would be the transformer to the HID lights you may have one on the other side as each light should have it's own transformer.
I still don't know. I am still trying to figure what the box is. I do have more information that I am going to post below. I am going to give your suggestions a try to.

​​​​​​​A clue would be a 7 pin trailer light connection out back.

Either could be why dual batteries were in the truck but mostly thinking bed camper.
So, check out the picture below. Is that something specific from the "camper special" or would that be something aftermarket added so someone could use a bed camper?

Now, about the Black Box.

Brand: Motorola
Barcode: YA6700 (read the barcode with a bar code reader)
Other numbers: 98180IL93-2
SLN3815A

I tried looking those numbers up on Google and could not find anything.

More pictures:

I really appreciate all the help and attention from everyone!

​​​​​​​Tig

​​​​​​​

Old 12-18-2023, 08:11 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,297 Likes on 1,097 Posts
I see three things related to a dealer add on AC system. Any writing near or on the two *****?

About the CB ant connector, PL-259 ... I never before seen one with two cables into it.

I was wondering about the black box too, it crossed my mind might be a remote CB radio, where controls were in a microphone .... or maybe a trailer brake rig.

Clutch pedal is normal like that on these trucks.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:28 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
duplicate post

Last edited by TigMontana; 12-18-2023 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:36 PM
TigMontana
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by tbear853
I see three things related to a dealer add on AC system. Any writing near or on the two *****?
Yes, the ***** work, there's ventilation (blower apparently works fine) but just air. Even in the winter and cold temperatures here in MT. @77&79F250 also mentioned that the OEM evaporator box is also missing from the engine bay.

Originally Posted by tbear853
About the CB ant connector, PL-259 ... I never before seen one with two cables into it.

I was wondering about the black box too, it crossed my mind might be a remote CB radio, where controls were in a microphone .... or maybe a trailer brake rig.
Yes, I'm still trying to figure that one out but you maybe right.

Quick Reply: New 1977 F150 owner, looking for some help!