Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 11:39 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!

DISCLAIMER: I am not claiming or asserting any significant change in HP or Torque, so do not get butt hurt in my thread, We all know only a Dyno can prove that!
That being said....

Massive gain in throttle response, the truck feels like it is 1000 lbs lighter, and is actually Eager to get up and GO GO GO!
Drove about 5 miles so far and its like a whole new truck, even went up a steep overpass ramp and the extra flow definitely make the truck seem a lot more responsive and ready to charge right up the hill.

Im hoping sometime in the near future to find a dyno to roll it on and see if the feel translates into real gains in numbers, but honestly the responsiveness alone makes it worth it to me, any potential power gains will be a happy bonus. And i will say, all the test driving was with a full tank of fuel as well, i just filled it to the top this morning at Costco, and only drove it home, nowhere else, so it feels that much better, even with 40+ gallons of fuel onboard.

I know the factory Throttle body with the center divider is rated around 1100 CFM to 1200 CFM depending on what source you believe, the Accufab deletes the Center Divider and flows up to 1700 CFM. The throttle body the V10 comes with is essentially a carry over anyway from the 4.6 and 5,4 anyway, which is why the Throttle body itself has a center divider, while the V10 plenum actually doesn't. If you think this is just coincidence look at the intake manifold from an 05 mustang GT, the plenum actually has the same two ports to match the throttle body, not just a big wide open hole like the V10 Plenum. They borrowed the design over, and figured, the TB has a divider that the V10 does not, but MEH, it works and saves us from having to design one to match the V10 plenum accurately. "Close enough" kinda thinking in my opinion.

The Throttle body i got is the SCTB96-98 which is NOT to be confused with the CTB96-98 which is an oval/elipse and does not have the same flow characteristics, and some users i have seen report online that the Gasket from that one actually doesnt fit quite right anyway with the V10.
The Gasket that comes with the SCTB96-98 fits perfectly, like a glove, and the Throttlebody, if you mount it and then flip it open and look through, is a much closer match to the V10 plenum size and shape. So don't get the CTB96-98, make sure you get the "SCTB96-98"
https://treperformance.com/i-62516-a...ttle-body.html

I tried to upload a short tiny little video showing the Tach response, i know it doesnt mean much, but its interesting to look at, as the RPM seems able to rise much more quickly that before just sitting there in park feeling it out.
https://black-knights.org/video-1629342940.mp4

EDIT: These flow numbers are from pages 8-10 of this thread, i brought them to the first post so it was easier to find. The lb/min column is the MAF reading, along with the RPM and Date it was taken, and some truck details.
So far the Accufab SCTB96-98 is winning!

The line indicated in Yellow I believe is erroneous, seems like his MAF is reading incorrectly, or he has a tune issue, as with a procharger he should be taking the cake for flow, even though that also kind of disqualifies him from the purpose of this thread since he has a blower and its not a 1:1 comparison.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-19-2021, 03:00 AM
Tunafish389
More Turbo
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
Glad you like it, but extra CFM only translate to top end and will actually loss on the bottom end where these rigs run. A before and after dyno would tell the whole story anything other then that is just speculation (just as i have done) and without the before the after dyno would mean little. Thanks for the review..

Old 08-19-2021, 10:41 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
A V10 runs at the bottom end?? Huh?

Would be super cool to get Dauntless on a dyno....heck, I'd love se what mine does too...maybe someday.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:13 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Believe me I am looking for a dyno, Its not just the TB, but i have a fresh brand new motor in there as well @Tunafish389 Its only on its 4th oil change, and it was bored 030 among other little changes, and i change it at 3K religiously.

Left a message at Arizona Elite Dyno, hopefully they call me back. They seem to do a lot with Lightnings so i figure their Dyno might accommodate an Excursion.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:15 PM
Tunafish389
More Turbo
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
Mine does.. It drives under 3k usually. When i push it goes to 4k.. I dont think i seen 5k .. Thats bottom end in my book.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:30 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Mine goes up to 5k anytime i ask it to, btw

Bottom end power is the motors capability to produce power at a low rpm or the torque the motors putting out. Then the top end is pretty much how much power the motor can still make at the red line or if the motor is still producing horse power while it's screaming.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:00 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
So that dyno shop is a bust... They claim they can't tune a V10, and that the Excursion is probably too heavy for their dyno.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:25 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Find out where the truck pull guys go...

Old 08-19-2021, 07:49 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Left messages at a couple more shops that are not too far away.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 PM
LandR
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you calculated the cfm requirements for your block at 6k rpm?

Old 08-19-2021, 11:09 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
No idea but it is something that might be interesting

Isn't the V10 governed out at 5200 though stock so what would the calculations for 6K matter unless you were either planning to override the rev limiter which is ill-advised for motor longevity or if you're just using it as a reference point to see what it would be at 5200 and around the top RPM?

Old 08-20-2021, 06:39 AM
LandR
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterX
No idea but it is something that might be interesting

Isn't the V10 governed out at 5200 though stock so what would the calculations for 6K matter unless you were either planning to override the rev limiter which is ill-advised for motor longevity or if you're just using it as a reference point to see what it would be at 5200 and around the top RPM?
my point was if you knew the CFM requirements (which I just calculated) you would see that a stock v10 is not choked out by the stock throttle body. A TB flowing 700cfm is far more than adequate.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:19 AM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by LandR
my point was if you knew the CFM requirements (which I just calculated) you would see that a stock v10 is not choked out by the stock throttle body. A TB flowing 700cfm is far more than adequate.
Never enough. Twin turbo that v10! (Kidding)

Old 08-20-2021, 12:18 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Someone already has one of those in another thread, and it runs like a monster btw.

As for the CFM numbers @LandR , i was seeing what you were saying until i started scrutinizing the numbers more deeply, if i listen to a few of the big websites that seem to loosely reference ford, the Stock TB is a twin 57mm, and flows up to 1100 CFM, HOWEVER, if i dig deeper, and look for people who have actually done the flow testing themselves, the numbers do not seem to get anywhere near 1100 CFM, more like high 500s unless (big clue), you are running supercharged, in which case the blowers are artificially inflating those numbers due to forced induction being involved, and then they are proven to flow between 1050-1200 depending on "the blower in use" And that also makes sense because a lot of the numbers on various websites do not indicate if their measurements were taken on a N/A or Boosted application, and on at least some of those sites, not naming any names(BBK), im fairly certain they intentionally leave those details out, so they can sell more of their blue fancy Throttle Bodies.

So i dug in yet a little deeper and found flow tests for the 2V V10 heads, and it seems they flow around 170 CFM per cylinder, and can be ported up to 220 if you also enlarge the intake valve a little bit, the latter part of that i am only mentioning because it was there, im more interested in the 170 CFM per cylinder part because 170 CFM x 10 Cyls = 1700 CFM, the same site references that 3V heads can flow as much as 300 CFM on the intake side, and this is why they recommend going with 3V builds instead of 2V, which is not pertinent to this post, but i happen to agree, however Ford decided not to give us a 3V Excursion so boo. As a followup, i found further corroboration on a completely different shops website mentioning that with a full port and polish, the 2V heads could see as much as a 40-50 CFM gain in flow per cylinder, they do not reference the stock flow numbers in their article, but that is within margin of error to the previous article, so i give it at least points for participation.

Looking at those flow numbers, the real question becomes, how much flow can the Intake Manifold handle, and while i would agree, it likely does not flow 1700 CFM N/A, or close too, I do believe that it does indeed flow more than 700 CFM, and with the CFM ratings i sourced for the Stock 57mm TB, this Accufab may not make a massive difference, but there is definitely room for it to make at least some difference.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:16 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Found a perfect example, BBK quotes their twin bore throttle body for F150 Lightning as 15-20 hp gain, its the same TB as the one for the 05 GT, except the GT one has electronic throttle by wire instead of mechanical cable control. They claim the same gain, but on the lightning forums it is a known fact that the BBK TB gains are measured on a boosted 5.4, not a N/A 4.6. So they are borrowing data from a boosted application that is un-substanciated for N/A, meaning all their flow claims are lies because the math was done on a 5.4 with a massive blower, which was being bottlenecked by the factory throttle body, so obviously there will be a gain there. But they do not tell you that, and their claims of 15-20 hp on 3V Mustangs is just a carry over from their Lightning article, which is worthless and false advertising.

Using BBKs math, we would be seeing a bigger percentage gain on the N/A 4.6 3V than we see on a 5.4 with a blower, which also proves just how full of crap they are. If anything the boosted vehicle will yield bigger gains due to the blower magnifying any flow improvement.

This would mean a 6.67% gain on a 4.6L N/A V8
But only a 5.26% gain on a 5.4L Supercharged V8

Even with gains this small, the math isn't there, not even close, one of the two statements must be incorrect for the math to work.... The lightning gains are proven however widely in the modding community, therefore the advertised gains for the 4.6L are a complete lie.

EDIT: LOL, i just found references to a lawsuit against BBK out of California in which they were smacked for False Advertising in 2002.

Quick Reply: So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!