2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Wobble while turning in 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wobble while turning in 4 wheel drive

I used the 4 wheel drive for the first time this weekend. I shifted to 4H before turning onto my property with my trailer in tow. I felt a weird "wobble" in the steering wheel when I turned onto the property. Unhitched trailer and drove around the street in 4H and felt the wobble at every full turn. Is this normal? It only is felt on sharp turns when the steering wheel is almost fully locked. I don't have this problem in 2H.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,677 Likes on 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
I used the 4 wheel drive for the first time this weekend. I shifted to 4H before turning onto my property with my trailer in tow. I felt a weird "wobble" in the steering wheel when I turned onto the property. Unhitched trailer and drove around the street in 4H and felt the wobble at every full turn. Is this normal? It only is felt on sharp turns when the steering wheel is almost fully locked. I don't have this problem in 2H.
That is what 4 WHEEL DRIVE does when turning in 4WD. All you wheels are following a different radius curve!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Is it obvious that this is my first 4wd? 😀
Just felt really weird when I turned onto the gravel driveway. Kinda felt like I was slipping in the mud.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 323 Likes on 228 Posts
Yep, its normal.......but do not make a habit of doing it. The front axle cannot split the torque like the rear differential can, its binding up from the traction of the pavement, however when on a slippery surface the front wheels are allowed to slip and its not as noticeable. its called torque steer and if done severely, you could break something in the axle.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes, absolutely normal. The average rear axle tire travel distance is less than the average front axle tire travel distance while turning. The “wobble” is the tires slipping on the pavement to make up for that difference. Won’t hurt in the short term, but will cause tire wear in the longer term. Typically only use 4wd on “slippery” surfaces (gravel, dirt, snow, mud, etc)

Old 05-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Thanks guys! I know you're not supposed to use 4H on the highway. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't an issue. I shifted to 4H because the grass was wet and it rained the night before so I didn't want to get stuck when I was pulling in the trailer.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Thanks guys! I know you're not supposed to use 4H on the highway. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't an issue. I shifted to 4H because the grass was wet and it rained the night before so I didn't want to get stuck when I was pulling in the trailer.
You can use it on the highway if it has snow on it. What matters is that the surface needs to be somewhat slippery, especially when turning sharp.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 PM
WildWestNAZ
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only one front tire will grab for traction, without having a front locker, just don't turn sharp, and you'll been just fine. Make sure to run 4X4 at least a few miles each month, keeps transfer case lubed up ect. Heard many of story of stuff not engaging when owner never puts into 4x4..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 148 Likes on 73 Posts
I plow snow with an F-450 and even in the snow, during tight maneuvering I pull it out of 4x4 because of either binding or at times the truck wont steer. it will just push straight. Its a good reason to keep the manual shift lever on a work truck that sees a lot of 4x4 duty. You can affirmatively shift into and out of 4x4 instantly with a pull on the lever. The electric **** has always worked well for me but it takes several seconds if not more to shift in and out.

Last edited by Mikelikesit; 05-21-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 PM
WildWestNAZ
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't turn your truck like your in 2 wheel drive, and you will never need to take it out of 4wheel drive. Sounds like you have 4x4 bc it's gets used, and is needed, see if the electric stuff works when it's never engaged for a couple yrs? I run my 2019 250 on trails we're only Jeep's are seen, and my rear factor locker allows me to get thru the hairy stuff, never had take any truck the past 20 yrs out of 4X4 to make turn.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:38 AM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WildWestNAZ
Don't turn your truck like your in 2 wheel drive, and you will never need to take it out of 4wheel drive. Sounds like you have 4x4 bc it's gets used, and is needed, see if the electric stuff works when it's never engaged for a couple yrs? I run my 2019 250 on trails we're only Jeep's are seen, and my rear factor locker allows me to get thru the hairy stuff, never had take any truck the past 20 yrs out of 4X4 to make turn.
Im not talking about trails where everything is dirt or mud. Im talking about having pavement showing where I just plowed and having to make a U turn inside the width of the street. Or in a parking lot clearing spaces between cars. Not having the luxury to take more room or time to make a triple K turn. So I pop it into 2x and turn and as soon as I need 4x I just pop it back in. With a ton or so of salt in the bed on pavement theres no good way to turn tight without going to 2x. And no way not to turn like Im in 2x.
The OP was talking about turning on good traction. My comment was about ease of going in and out with manual transfer case. I use my 4x all the time. But never turning on good traction. And I was commenting on the electric **** taking too long to shift. When Im shifting my 450 in and out with the lever its positive and it takes a second. A slight lift off the gas as im shifting it and its smooth as silk. But with the electric **** in my 250 Lariat it might not lock in for 5 or more seconds. In fact, it might fail completely.
The only trouble Ive ever had engaging 4x though was a manual transfer case which had been in 2x for a year since the last snow. It was rusted out of 4x. So I had to pull the linkage off and throw the lever by hand. That truck stayed in 4x for a couple of years after that. I dont care how you steer on dry pavement in 4x its not good for anything.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:16 AM
GreyScar
Mountain Pass
Stay in 2wd till you are stuck, Then shift in 4wd to get unstuck, Military Taught this in the 70's and 80's, I still use rule today. Never been stuck. I'm still confused why you go to 4wd Drive own and assumption. If you pull Off Road and get stuck in 4wd you my Friend are SOL.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:16 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my day we called the wobble the OP is experiencing "crow hop".

Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Mikelikesit
Fleet Mechanic
Grey...When Im heading into work in my own truck, on snow covered road I run in 4x. Especially with my previous truck wearing the Duratracs. Just cruzing even in deeper snow sipping coffee at the posted speed limit no problem. In 2x the snow would pull the truck all over. If I was in 2x and started sliding it would be too late to go to 4x. Plus, having the steering wheels also driving helps maintain direction when the snow pulls the truck around. Of course you can go as fast as you want. But cant stop.
Plowing in 4x helps steer as well. Wheel spin almost never happens. Sometimes pushing deep snow you need to lift the plow a bit to load the front tires, to keep the snow from pushing the truck sideways. Im not sure if your suggesting I should plow in 2x until I get stuck? But wheel spin is best avoided on snow covered road. Often traction comes and goes. Spinning away and hooking up on blacktop suddenly could be a driveline fail.
90% of my 4x is in snow. Any other 4x is going down in the back of a farm to shoot. Or on sand in the Pines. If you start spinning wheels in the deep sand youll be stuck if you lose momentum. Aired down in 4x is how we always handled sand. I dont think it would help to get stuck first then put it in 4x. Best to keep moving in the first place.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,677 Likes on 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikelikesit
Grey...When Im heading into work in my own truck, on snow covered road I run in 4x. Especially with my previous truck wearing the Duratracs. Just cruzing even in deeper snow sipping coffee at the posted speed limit no problem. In 2x the snow would pull the truck all over. If I was in 2x and started sliding it would be too late to go to 4x. Plus, having the steering wheels also driving helps maintain direction when the snow pulls the truck around. Of course you can go as fast as you want. But cant stop.
Plowing in 4x helps steer as well. Wheel spin almost never happens. Sometimes pushing deep snow you need to lift the plow a bit to load the front tires, to keep the snow from pushing the truck sideways. Im not sure if your suggesting I should plow in 2x until I get stuck? But wheel spin is best avoided on snow covered road. Often traction comes and goes. Spinning away and hooking up on blacktop suddenly could be a driveline fail.
90% of my 4x is in snow. Any other 4x is going down in the back of a farm to shoot. Or on sand in the Pines. If you start spinning wheels in the deep sand youll be stuck if you lose momentum. Aired down in 4x is how we always handled sand. I dont think it would help to get stuck first then put it in 4x. Best to keep moving in the first place.
And this is exactly why the old cowboy said “Experience is what one gets right after they need it the most.”!!!!!!!! Just about every situation is kind of unique in its own way.

Quick Reply: Wobble while turning in 4 wheel drive