Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 PM
HarleyHD
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Bumper Fitment

I have 2004 Ford Excursion 2wd limited. Having a hard time finding a replacement for mine that’s slightly damaged. Don’t want any kind of aftermarket bumper. I’m only finding chrome or else the plastic lower valance is a grey color instead of tan like I need. I know chrome can be painted with extra prep. Will an 05 excursion bumper or even a later f250/350 bumper work? Someone said the much newer ones will fit but can only utilize one hook(?). I just bought the modified 05 grille so I want to make sure I can still use that too

Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
05 - 07 bumpers are a straight fit, but you will need to get the grille as well. 08-10 are a no go. 11 - 16 bumper+ grille can be mounted with some basic mods for a so-so fit, but don't look so good unless you can do some fab work. Here are some discussions and pics from when I did the 11-16 bumper mod on y previous EX. This time around, I went with a setup from an 06. More details and pictures are in the build thread link in my signature.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:42 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I just went through a small fender bender, not my fault and had to purchase a Capa certified bumper from Keystone, the plastic was reused, know issues from the body shop installing everything.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:40 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by HarleyHD
I have 2004 Ford Excursion 2wd limited. Having a hard time finding a replacement for mine that’s slightly damaged. Don’t want any kind of aftermarket bumper. I’m only finding chrome or else the plastic lower valance is a grey color instead of tan like I need. I know chrome can be painted with extra prep. Will an 05 excursion bumper or even a later f250/350 bumper work? Someone said the much newer ones will fit but can only utilize one hook(?). I just bought the modified 05 grille so I want to make sure I can still use that too
Are you not wanting to buy Ford OE? The primed one is still avail, as well as the beige valance.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
The '05 ('05-'07) bumper will bolt right up (2 parts, lower metal and plastic upper) but with them you will need the full '05-'07 grille, the modified grilles are made to fit above the earlier stock bumpers.
Is your current plastic lover valence undamaged? You could reuse it to replace the grey one on the bumper you have found.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 AM
HarleyHD
Cross-Country
Bumper

i actually prefer oem.,,what was the website with the parts partsyou posted. Kinda high on the bumper when I see what used ones go for. Thanks for the screen shot as I have been unable to find the tan valance. Jumped before I did my research. 05 and up bumper probably won’t work because I just bought an 05 grille from a company that modifies that grille so its a direct bolt on.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

The '05 ('05-'07) bumper will bolt right up (2 parts, lower metal and plastic upper) but with them you will need the full '05-'07 grille, the modified grilles are made to fit above the earlier stock bumpers.
Is your current plastic lover valence undamaged? You could reuse it to replace the grey one on the bumper you have found.
So if I have this right, I can get the '05 steel bumper, plastic upper and grille and it will all bolt up? I have an '01 and for now want to keep the 01 headlamps. I have new oem 05 lamps but have read they dont put out as much light.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:38 AM
HarleyHD
Cross-Country
Bumper

To tag on...,will material have to be cut to allow 05 lights to work?

Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I have an '05, so have no first hand experience, but it is my understanding that the '05-'07 bumper will directly mount to an earlier model, the grille may not mate up to the header panel (radiator support) at the bottom as the grille size is slightly taller than stock, but I think a few cable ties could be used there. The earlier headlights will still work with the newer bumper and grille, but I think there may be a very slight contour difference between the grille side light edge vs the new grille, the '05 style grille has straight sides where the early grille is slightly curved there. But they can play well together.
To mount the '05-'07 headlight housings on an older rig either requires some cutting away of the header panel or swapping up to the '05 header panel.
@unleashd has firsthand experience with this project I believe.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
So if I have this right, I can get the '05 steel bumper, plastic upper and grille and it will all bolt up? I have an '01 and for now want to keep the 01 headlamps. I have new oem 05 lamps but have read they dont put out as much light.
I just finished the facelift on my '03 a few weeks back. Yes, the bumper and grille will be a straight bolt on. BUT, note that the 05-07 grill is about an inch taller than the 00-04. So, the lower clips from an 05-07 bumper will NOT clip into the 00-04 header panel behind. The 4 screws on the top will line up and install easily. For the bottom, you can use a zip tie to hold in place. The 05-07, IMO, have a better designed reflector and illuminate much better than the prior year headlights. They also look better than the bulky looking older style headlights. Combine them with a Silverstar bulb, and they will light up the road nicely.

For a complete facelift, you will need these from an 05-07 EX (05) or a Superduty.
- header panel
- headlights
- 3 piece bumper (plastic top portion, chrome/painted middle portion, and plastic valance for the bottom)
- Grille (your choice of OEM or after market style)

I did this project in 2 phases. First, I switched the header panel and headlights, and then much later, I switch the bumper & Grille. Between these 2 phases, I continued to use my 03 bumper and grille. Here are the pictures in sequence.

05-07 header panel on the left. 00-03 header panel on the right.

Remove the grille, headlights and Header panel.

Install newer header panel.

Install 05-07 style headlights. Note that there will be a significant gap when using the newer header panel and older grille.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:03 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
i actually prefer oem.,,what was the website with the parts partsyou posted. Kinda high on the bumper when I see what used ones go for. Thanks for the screen shot as I have been unable to find the tan valance. Jumped before I did my research. 05 and up bumper probably won’t work because I just bought an 05 grille from a company that modifies that grille so its a direct bolt on.
Genuine Parts for 2001 Ford Excursion|XLT 7.3L V8 - Diesel | OEM Ford Parts

Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 AM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
I had recently bought a new OE Ford "01" bumper, fascia trim, and valance. My grill was already a 05-07 modified from the previous owner. I wanted to upgrade the lights so I could do a projector retrofit. I simply bought the 05-07 grill and headlight support, and the 05-07 headlights from Ford. Outside of changing the plugs on my harnesses, I merely cut across the lower portion of the support so the bumper would work.

Last edited by 01__Excursion; 02-16-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: pics added
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
This document is a nice guide on the cutting required to fit the 05-07 headlights into the 00-04 header panel. I had this cutting done on my previous EX. But, I was not happy with the results. SO, this time around, I decided to use the newer header panel instead of cutting. Just my choice. YMMV as many have had great success with the cutting route.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conten...structions.pdf

Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
Unleashed,

Fit up looks really good..
I can't quite tell what color the parts are you added though..
chrome bumper , , black grill and black upper plastic ?

Kyle

Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM
HarleyHD
Cross-Country
Bumper Fitment

I purchased an 05 grille that was already modified to fit. You stated 05 bumper is a direct fit? Out of curiosity, do you still have the older bumper and what state are you in?

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Fitment