Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rpms fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rpms fluctuating

Hi guys I have a 2001 f350. I’ve been having this problem OFF AND ON for about 2 to 3 months. The truck ideals perfect and also when you hit the gas the rpms go up perfect. Also I can run in cruse control no problem. But I’ve ran into a problem when I hit the gas I get a little bust of speed, sometimes you have to hit the petal further to get a reaction. If I try to hold a speed 7 times out of ten the rpms are jumping or declining I. Short jolts. It started right after I did an oil change. I’ve got some speculations that I might need a new pedal or might need to look into an eot sensor. It’s sometimes will run perfect though and sometimes there is something way off. Any opinions?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it running rough like a misfire, or like someone is playing a bass drum on your go pedal? Do you have FORScan?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by MD_7.three
Is it running rough like a misfire, or like someone is playing a bass drum on your go pedal? Do you have FORScan?
I do not have a scanner and no it doesn’t run rough if misfire. Just when you step on the pedal the rpms jump but the engine still sounds great

Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Have you checked the oil level?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Have you checked the oil level?
last time I checked it was perfect. I’ll check again tonight

Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 AM
MD_7.three
Tuned
So from a steady idle, you can accelerate smoothly/normally up to say 55 mph, and if you hit the cruise all is fine maintaining 55, but if you just try to use manual cruise with your foot to hold 55 the rpm's get all jumpy?

Old 12-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
So from a steady idle, you can accelerate smoothly/normally up to say 55 mph, and if you hit the cruise all is fine maintaining 55, but if you just try to use manual cruise with your foot to hold 55 the rpm's get all jumpy?
if I hammer/steady climb it I can get to 55 no problem and put it in cruise with no problem. But when I’m trying to go let’s say 30mph without cruise rpms will be jumpy. Or from idle and hitting the gas a little It will jump and sometimes the pedal doesn’t respond well

Old 12-19-2018, 12:55 PM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Based on limited information and no data I would suspect it could be the accelerator position sensor...which I believe you could verify if you get a obd dongle and forscan...kind of expensive to just "throw parts at" but Riffraff has what you need...it changes based on build date (before/after 10/2/2000) and whether it is fixed or adjustable.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
I’ll look into one of those because I’m not trying to throw a ton of money at it lol. Just trying to get it right again

Old 12-19-2018, 02:00 PM
MD_7.three
Tuned
FORScan is only about $5(mobile) and free(PC) and worth it’s weight in gold.

Which dongle you get depends on iOS vs Android vs PC. There are several recent threads to steer you right.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
FORScan is only about $5(mobile) and free(PC) and worth it’s weight in gold.

Which dongle you get depends on iOS vs Android vs PC. There are several recent threads to steer you right.

bought the FORScan app on iPhone. Now just need the adapter. Elm327???

Old 12-19-2018, 06:02 PM
MD_7.three
Tuned
Elm327 WIFI for iOS. The one forscan recommends is about $30.

OHP WiFi Forscan OBD2 Adapter with HS-Can & MS-Can Switch for iPhone and Ipad
Amazon Amazon

There are some cheaper options on the A-Z but if you search you’ll see it’s a bit of a crapshoot if they will / won’t work with forscan.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Cole Eakle
Cross-Country
Elm327 WIFI for iOS. The one forscan recommends is about $30.

OHP WiFi Forscan OBD2 Adapter with HS-Can & MS-Can Switch for iPhone and Ipad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJL31Z7..._-UTgCbN7RX559

There are some cheaper options on the A-Z but if you search you’ll see it’s a bit of a crapshoot if they will / won’t work with forscan.

okay thank you!

Old 12-20-2018, 05:00 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I no what you mean. Happened after my oil change in october. Had rotella 15/40. Went to Delvac, which ive ran numerous times before. Didnt notice the touchy pedal until reaching destination of 30p miles. Within that distance, i filled up. Not sure if oil related or bad fuel. Went away after returning home though. Just did anutha oil change and a 60p mile dayrun. No issues.
Best way i describe it is a 9th injector when its touchy. Then theres the flatline response also, when hitn go pedal..

Old 12-20-2018, 07:30 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cole Eakle
Hi guys I have a 2001 f350. I’ve been having this problem OFF AND ON for about 2 to 3 months. The truck ideals perfect and also when you hit the gas the rpms go up perfect. Also I can run in cruse control no problem. But I’ve ran into a problem when I hit the gas I get a little bust of speed, sometimes you have to hit the petal further to get a reaction. If I try to hold a speed 7 times out of ten the rpms are jumping or declining I. Short jolts. It started right after I did an oil change. I’ve got some speculations that I might need a new pedal or might need to look into an eot sensor. It’s sometimes will run perfect though and sometimes there is something way off. Any opinions?
Check for codes first. Your description points to a possible ICP problem. You can try unplugging the ICP sensor and let it go into default. If you have faulty sensor, it should smooth out. If this doesn't help, it could also be a sticking IPR valve. Both can be monitored with ForScan and eliminate them as the trouble. You would also be able to monitor TPS.

Quick Reply: Rpms fluctuating