Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long trip help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 PM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long trip help?

Hey folks, I usually lurk in the 73-79 forums, but I was just given my Dad's 95 f150. I know it runs and drives. I live 800 miles from him and was wondering about things to check before starting that trip. Also, things I might need to carry with me such as replacement parts. The obvious things I know, tires, oil, tranny fluid. Just need the advice of those use to these models. I believe it is a 302 and I know it is an automatic trans and it's a 2 wheel drive. Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:21 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The chances of having the right part to fix it on the side of the road are slim unless you know for sure it's been having trouble with something specific. Unless you can predict the future, that is. In which case, I'd appreciate a heads up on the winners of the next 3 years worth of football and baseball games.

Spare fluids are always good, a fuse assortment, a couple of spare head light/tail light bulbs, and a basic tool set.

Primary things I would check and repair as necessary before a road trip (in no particular order, contrary to my nicely numbered lines) -

1) Ignition tune up & oil change including air filter
2) Front wheel bearings - excessive play and leaks. A small amount of play is normal. Leaks would be indicated by grease coating the inside of the brake rotor/tire.
3) U - joints for excessive play
4) Top off all fluids including the rear differential and check for signs of fast leaks.
5) Check the battery and alternator.
6) Brake pads have plenty left and brakes not dragging. Also, with the engine off, pump the brake pedal as hard as you can and hold for 5 seconds - better to blow a brake line in the driveway than the highway.
7) Cruise control working properly.
8) If it has dual tanks, both fuel pumps and sending units working properly.
9) Condition of vacuum hoses.

Have a good trip.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 PM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the tips. This will be interesting for me. I tried to get this truck several years ago and he wouldnt sell it to me. Called me out of the blue and said come get the truck its yours.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by corvair62
Thanks for the tips. This will be interesting for me. I tried to get this truck several years ago and he wouldnt sell it to me. Called me out of the blue and said come get the truck its yours.
Hmmm.... if it were my dad, my first question would be "Why, what can't be fixed?"

Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 AM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
I hear ya, My Dad is sneaky. My brother lives close to him and he is going to go and give it a thorough look for me and let me know whats up. Dad would find it funny for me to break down a few hundred miles from any body I know. Since the truck is a short box with no damage or rust anywhere, I'll defintly take it regardless.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 243 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
The chances of having the right part to fix it on the side of the road are slim unless you know for sure it's been having trouble with something specific.

Spare fluids are always good, a fuse assortment, a couple of spare head light/tail light bulbs, and a basic tool set.
I like to have tire plugs, a mini compressor that takes forever to air up the tires (which is better than nothing), and maybe a jump starter.

If possible, belts & hoses. You'll eventually need new belts & hoses on an old car anyway. Might as well get them and have them handy.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 AM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
spare belt(s) and a couple gallons of coolant, if not coolant a couple gallons of water. I'd also suggest a can of seafoam to dump in the tank on the trip might as well let it work as you are driving. Everything else that was suggested and make sure you have a jack and lug wrench, and a couple blocks of wood or jack stands.

Better to tote stuff with you and not need it than be along the side of the road cuz you forgot a ________

Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Workingstiff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my truck, it was 320miles away, I took ALOT of the mentioned items with me. What nearly put me on the side of the road was the fitting that comes off the block that sends hotwater to the throttle body. I first thing I did even before putting plates on it was to flush the rad system and put in a t-stat. The next morning I had a dime sized puddle of bright green the next morning. The nipple was entirely eroded away.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
Update: It is a 92, not 95. The waterpump needs replaced, the valve covers leak. Hoses and Belts need to be replaced before any significant travel. Brakes are making "noise" he said. Rear tank does not work. Could be pump or switch. A/C seems to need recharge, he wasnt sure on this. Said it gets cold on low, but not to much on higher speeds. It has the over drive button, so I think it's a "EAOD" tranny? Not sure, I barely know what EFI is. The lumbar support is busted on the drivers side, so the seat sinks in very bad he said. Begging to think Dad is having a good laugh about this. But for free..I dont think I can pass it up. Thanks for all the insight so far. I think I'm going to start with a parts list and see what kind of damage (to the wallet) its going to do. Maybe I'll collect a few parts and go down and try to fix it with parts on hand. Better go and get a shop manual and start studying up..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Update: It is a 92, not 95. The waterpump needs replaced, the valve covers leak. Hoses and Belts need to be replaced before any significant travel. Brakes are making "noise" he said. Rear tank does not work. Could be pump or switch. A/C seems to need recharge, he wasnt sure on this. Said it gets cold on low, but not to much on higher speeds. It has the over drive button, so I think it's a "EAOD" tranny? Not sure, I barely know what EFI is. The lumbar support is busted on the drivers side, so the seat sinks in very bad he said. Begging to think Dad is having a good laugh about this. But for free..I dont think I can pass it up. Thanks for all the insight so far. I think I'm going to start with a parts list and see what kind of damage (to the wallet) its going to do. Maybe I'll collect a few parts and go down and try to fix it with parts on hand. Better go and get a shop manual and start studying up..
EAOD = E4OD

Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 PM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
EAOD = E4OD
Thanks, I did not know that.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
see what kind of damage (to the wallet) its going to do
Almost every used car will need new parts. Even tires, brakes, oil, fluids.......It's always new parts on an old car. Some need more, some need less. It will always be cost money, and not be cheap.

A good way to gauge it if it's "worth it", is if the repairs cost more than the car is worth. Will you spend $2,000, on a truck that is only worth $1,000? Also consider that if you spend $2,000, can you get anything better for $2,000? Obviously, if the truck will cost $10,000 to restore, then you really have to consider what else you could buy with $10,000.

The only factor worth mentioning is that this is your dad's truck. You are getting sentimental value which is only conditional to your ownership. Nobody else will care about that. Maybe it's worth every penny to be able to drive dad's truck. To everyone else, it will be an old truck, not worth the money to fix it up, even if they're getting it for free.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 PM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
Thanks for your advice Fifty150. I love the older vehicles. My daily driver is a 79 F150 and I wouldnt trade it for any new vehicle. That being said I've restored several "old" cars and some have definetly cost more than others. This truck will probably be my next project and will have to wait till spring. Looking at parts so far I think I can get it road worthy fairly reasonably, But, I cant be sure of that untill I get my hands on it. The sentimental value to me will only go so far. I like the truck, but my daughter loves it. She's wanted it for a while, so it'll probably become hers if I get all the bugs out. Time will tell. Thanks for all the thoughts and knowledge folks. I appreciate it alot.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Keep us updated on how this goes. The road trip. The restoration. Sounds like quite the adventure.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM
corvair62
Mountain Pass
So the truck has a little over 200,000 miles on it. Since the water pump needs changed, should I do the timing gears and chain while I'm in there. If so, who has a good recomendation?

Last edited by corvair62; 09-25-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add word

Quick Reply: Long trip help?