1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip vs Electronic Differential for a Farm Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:55 PM
Noelle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip vs Electronic Differential for a Farm Truck

I am considering purchasing a new work truck for a commercial beekeeping operation. I was considering the F350 Super Duty Flatbed Chassie with payload of 12,700 pounds. Blueberry fields can get pretty darn boggy. Honey Supers can weigh up to 120pds. After reading through the one thread for limited slip vs. electronic slip differential I am still confused which one would be better for muddy situations. Any advice is much appreciated!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Mastertinner
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I prefer an open diff with selectable differential lock. I like the open differential in winter for driving down the road at speed. Rear end doesn't come around on you as fast.

My last truck had the limited slip, and worked well but needed a rebuild after only thirty thousand miles. Was covered under warranty but still a nuisance .

If you need wheel speed to make it through then maybe the limited slip as I think the electronic locker kicks out after a certain mph. But maybe that locker speed will be enough.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Juneaudave
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be wrong but I don't think you can order the limited slip differential anymore. Your choices are non-limited slip or electronic locking.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 AM
clv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both, and electronic locking is a better traction choice in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 AM
jetty
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The factory "limited slip" offered by the Big Three for the past 40 years has never been a favorite of mine. As stated, the clutches always wear out rather quickly, leaving you with little rear end locking capability when you need it. Would suggest the Electronic route or Torsen (if offered).

The only thing worse than the "limited slip" clutch-type differential is a vehicle equipped with the "Traction Control" via ABS system, had one experience with one of those in a Dodge in the mud, was pathetic, will never do that again.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Get 4 wheel drive. The locking diff will leave you stuck, 4 wheel drive will not.

I've tried dozens of times to just use the locking diff, on wet grass, inch deep mud, loose gravel, dry grass on a slope, snow & ice on the level. Every time I've been stuck, spinning. Put it in 4 wheel drive, pulls thru no problem.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Order the truck with 4.30 gears and e locker. Then the day you pick it up go to your local tire shop and buy a real offroad tire for that truck. If you stick it after that then it's your own fault

Old 09-17-2018, 05:07 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scottscott
Get 4 wheel drive. The locking diff will leave you stuck, 4 wheel drive will not.

I've tried dozens of times to just use the locking diff, on wet grass, inch deep mud, loose gravel, dry grass on a slope, snow & ice on the level. Every time I've been stuck, spinning. Put it in 4 wheel drive, pulls thru no problem.
I could be mistaken, but I thought you could only engage the locker in 4low.

edit: I was wrong, apparently on the 250-550 you can engage at any time.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
E-Locker is real Nice.... 4x4 is best in the slippery stuff.

remember.. ( many do NOT ) in the slippery stuff.. drive like an EGG is between your right foot and the gas petal... little use of power will get you out... 2 wheel or 4 will drive...
also No factory 4x4 is TRUE 4 wheel drive.. unless both differentials are LOCKERS.. and they are NOT. so at best.. its 3 wheel drive. if you have E-locker in the rear...

Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Order the truck with 4.30 gears and e locker. Then the day you pick it up go to your local tire shop and buy a real offroad tire for that truck. If you stick it after that then it's your own fault
I totally agree with both of these.

The e locker acts as an open rear end when not engaged, helping with tire wear. But I've yet to have a situation where the e locker worked any better than the traction control, which applies brake to the spinning tire, transferring power. Almost every time I have tried using the e locker, I ended up using 4wd.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 258 Likes on 185 Posts
Growing up on a farm, I always believed if you need 4wd on a field then you shouldn't be on the field. If it's too soft for a 2wd pickup then you'll leave ruts, and I never wanted to have to mow or plow over someone's tire ruts. Chronically boggy areas in a commercial bee field can be graveled. We used smashed up concrete blocks because they were free.

Part of the reason a lot of people need 4wd is because they have it. The heavier front end makes the truck next to helpless in 2wd mode. My 2wd pickup goes places--without even spinning-- where my brother's-in-law other wise identical 4wd pickup needs 4wd just to move. Another reason for needing 4wd is poor tire choice. All season tires spin out on wet grass.

E locker would be my choice...only locked when you want it. Detroit truetrac is my 2nd choice since it never wears out.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:53 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts

4wd can also leave you stuck, you can get stuck in anything. Out of the two options I would get the e locker but I don't think that is available on the dually trucks so you are stuck with the limited slip option.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:41 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Detroit truetrac is my 2nd choice since it never wears out.
I'd agree with this. Smooth on-road application and always working off-road as long as one tire is not in the air. You can also get a true-trac for the front diff too. I've heard of at least one farm truck on here running them front and rear.

I think the E-locker is an improvement over the limited slip that wears out, but I believe it only works under 15mph unless you cheat the system. Anyone who has ever been stuck in mud knows it very easy to get over that speed trying to clean the lugs.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Growing up on a farm, I always believed if you need 4wd on a field then you shouldn't be on the field.
This ^^^. For play time, do whatever you want. For work - be smart and keep the 4wd and lockers in reserve for the occasional mistake, don't plan on needing them all the time. If you consistently need to work in truck sucking mud there's another issue. Either a Gator or Mule is a better bet if the pods only weigh 120#, or fix the area you're working in if you have to get a truck in there consistently. Plenty of guys in stock company 4x4s with crappy Continentals don't get stuck by just not being dumb.

That said, for play time in a Super Duty - 6.2L + 4.56s, ARB up front, TruTrac or Detroit in the rear, and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Mash the pedal and pray you don't break a u-joint up front

Old 10-09-2018, 02:06 PM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Q: I was pre-reading the manual regarding the Electronic Locking Rear Differential...what was not clear to me is how to engage it with the Manual Shift On The Stop (Floor Lever)...it addressed ShiftOnTheFly and Two-Wheel Drive, but not 4WD with a manual transfer case. Did I miss it or did they not address it...can anybody please explain the process? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip vs Electronic Differential for a Farm Truck