2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Sandyhooktrackster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate malfunction

2018 F350 diesel SRW crew cab 6’7” bed.
Has anyone else experienced the tail gate opening when the vehicle is stationary or moving? This has become a problem for the last few weeks. I close the tailgate with moderate force and shake it. It’s closed until it’s not.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Had it happen once to me. Unfortunately I had my 5er in tow and punched a small hole in the belly door, but thankfully the Demco Autosalide moves it out when I turn or I would have ended up with half the tailgate in the belly door. Now it sports a sticker covering up the hole. To be fair though, the FOB was in my pocket and quite possible that I inadvertently released it after checking in at the office when I was putting my son in his car seat, or when I was getting in. Definitely a bad FOB design at a minimum.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:45 PM
VoodooRob
Senior User
Find the 2 connectors for the tailgate behind the spare tire, in front of the rear bumper. Most likely you have moisture in the connections. Use an air gun, blow them dry, then stuff each connector full of dilectric grease. Connect, disconnect, fill, repeat. My tailgate would drop in the middle of night, key fobs sitting in a drawer. This coincided with driving in the rain, sometimes not until a couple days after. The connectors would hold water that long.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 PM
Tx.Hoon
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob is correct. I would bet it is the moisture or corrosion in the harness.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Sandyhooktrackster
New User
Thanks guys. I am new to this forum although I am on my third Ford truck. Thanks to the fast and knowledgeable responses to my two questions I posted. All very helpful.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Does anybody know if there is a forscan mod for this if it is indeed the remote. Maybe setting it to double click on the remote or a press longer than so many seconds?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:09 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Does anybody know if there is a forscan mod for this if it is indeed the remote. Maybe setting it to double click on the remote or a press longer than so many seconds?
To open the tailgate with the key fob remote control, the default already is to double-click the tailgate button.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cficare
To open the tailgate with the key fob remote control, the default already is to double-click the tailgate button.
Ok thanks for the heads up, when the new truck gets here I'll know how that works.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone please post a pic of the connectors mentioned above that may have water in them causing the malfunction? My tailgate will not open and wondering if this may be the cause as we just had a ton of rain here in South Texas. Worked fine prior to the rain event. Gracias!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
It is a real stupid design IMO, all of the cameras and sensors on the truck you would think Ford could have put a safety in place to not allow it to go down if there is something behind you, or simply putting a speed control on it.
I am not a fan of this tailgate and am waiting till it malfunctions

Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Race Red F-250
Can someone please post a pic of the connectors mentioned above that may have water in them causing the malfunction?
There are a few pix in this forum, but I don't have one handy. Basically, crawl under the rear of your truck and look up at the inboard side of the passenger-side frame rail, to the right right of and slightly aft of your spare tire. You'll see two electrical connectors up there and the large gray one is the suspect connector. May as well treat them both while you're at it.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cficare
There are a few pix in this forum, but I don't have one handy. Basically, crawl under the rear of your truck and look up at the inboard side of the passenger-side frame rail, to the right right of and slightly aft of your spare tire. You'll see two electrical connectors up there and the large gray one is the suspect connector. May as well treat them both while you're at it.
Thanks. I see it there.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mlambert22
It is a real stupid design IMO, all of the cameras and sensors on the truck you would think Ford could have put a safety in place to not allow it to go down if there is something behind you, or simply putting a speed control on it.
I am not a fan of this tailgate and am waiting till it malfunctions
A simple fix would be that if the truck is not in park, the tailgate is disabled electronically from opening.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
A simple fix would be that if the truck is not in park, the tailgate is disabled electronically from opening.
That wont stop the tailgate from being opened by the remote and striking something behind it..
It is a STUPID and useless feature!!!!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mlambert22
That wont stop the tailgate from being opened by the remote and striking something behind it..
It is a STUPID and useless feature!!!!
Yes it would, if the truck is not in Park, the electronic motor would be disabled. So it does not matter if you hit it on the fob, the button on the dash or an electrical issue, there would be no power to the motor until it is in park. That would solve everything.

Quick Reply: Tailgate malfunction