Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F-150 Lariat Head lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Xsuperdutyfan
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 2018 F-150 Lariat Head lamps

Bought a 2018 F-150 Lariat 4x4 FX4 3.5 eco boost 10spd Nav Leather all the goodies 58k sticker loaded with options. Headlights are garbage my 2008 F-150 with new led's blow them away. Anyone else seem to have this issue? Someone maybe swap out bulbs or something? For almost a 60k truck seems pretty ****ty for Ford to be so cheap on the headlamps. Anyone know of good replacements?

Last edited by Xsuperdutyfan; 09-14-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: question
Old 09-15-2018, 11:27 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Xsuperdutyfan
Bought a 2018 F-150 Lariat 4x4 FX4 3.5 eco boost 10spd Nav Leather all the goodies 58k sticker loaded with options. Headlights are garbage my 2008 F-150 with new led's blow them away. Anyone else seem to have this issue? Someone maybe swap out bulbs or something? For almost a 60k truck seems pretty ****ty for Ford to be so cheap on the headlamps. Anyone know of good replacements?
LOL.....Sounds like you didn`t spend enough to get the factory LED headlights and skipped out on adding the optional 502A package.

With that being said, you have three choices.

(1) Convert your factory headlights to factory LED headlights. Cost....2K-3K

(2) Morimoto has new headlight assemblies for 2018 F150`s. Cost....$1500.00 and you might need other bits and pieces to install them. You can contact "The Retrofit Source" for info on these.

(3) Aftermarket replacement LED bulbs or better halogen bulbs. Cost...Varies depending on the bulb brand and where their purchased from. This would be the cheapest route to go and i`d say you`ll fall into the $100.00-$300.00 range but it could be more or even less.

Have a great weekend.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Xsuperdutyfan
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm. thats why I hate buying off the lot instead of ordering. Always forget to look for something guess bulbs will have to do for now lol.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:12 PM
m3bs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IIHS rates both the halogens and LEDs as “Poor”.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...rew-cab-pickup

Same result for Chevy halogen and LED.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:48 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by m3bs
IIHS rates both the halogens and LEDs as “Poor”.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...rew-cab-pickup

Same result for Chevy halogen and LED.
The vast majority of F150 owners don`t care what IIHS has to say not to mention this info has been posted on here before.
Have a great day.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow IIHS

Originally Posted by GABAR
The vast majority of F150 owners don`t care what IIHS has to say
Really? Why do you say that about f150 owners?

IMHO, I think having crash ratings is vital in selecting my next vehicle. I rather know the rating and make that decision to purchase or pass...vs not knowing and finding out the hard way. That goes for headlight ratings.

biz

Old 09-16-2018, 04:08 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by biz4two
Really? Why do you say that about f150 owners?

IMHO, I think having crash ratings is vital in selecting my next vehicle. I rather know the rating and make that decision to purchase or pass...vs not knowing and finding out the hard way. That goes for headlight ratings.

biz
My statement was regarding the subject/posting at hand and not the truck itself.
However, if you base your decision on buying a new Ford or any vehicle for that matter on how the "headlights" performed for IIHS, then that`s you decision.
Have a great day.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:10 PM
m3bs
New User
I referenced the IIHS test because at least they actually test lights. My personal experience with LED and HID lights on many new cars is that they cost more, look cool, but don’t actually improve night vision compared to “good” halogens. Lighting function has become secondary to style, and I resent paying more for less.

I like being able too see well enough to avoid having to do my own crash testing.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:14 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by m3bs
I referenced the IIHS test because at least they actually test lights. My personal experience with LED and HID lights on many new cars is that they cost more, look cool, but don’t actually improve night vision compared to “good” halogens. Lighting function has become secondary to style, and I resent paying more for less.

I like being able too see well enough to avoid having to do my own crash testing.
Absolutely AGREE with you here!! Looking cool is nice, but seeing better at night is more important. If one buys a truck or car with LED or HID lights, then they should perform better than halogens. Especially when those LED or HIDs cost more.

biz

Old 09-16-2018, 04:19 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

My statement was regarding the subject/posting at hand and not the truck itself.
However, if you base your decision on buying a new Ford or any vehicle for that matter on how the "headlights" performed for IIHS, then that`s you decision.
Have a great day.
It certainly can play a role in my decision. Just like good crash ratings, mpg's, reliability, functionality, etc. More info before a purchase is always a GOOD thing...IMHO.

As an example: If I read that the headlights have a poor rating, then I shouldn't complain about it after I purchase the truck. It was a conscience decision made to purchase despite the poor rating.
...have a good one!

biz

Old 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by biz4two
It certainly can play a role in my decision. Just like good crash ratings, mpg's, reliability, functionality, etc. More info before a purchase is always a GOOD thing...IMHO.

As an example: If I read that the headlights have a poor rating, then I shouldn't complain about it after I purchase the truck. It was a conscience decision made to purchase despite the poor rating.
...have a good one!

biz
Well, obviously the headlights didn`t play a role in your decision or you just didn`t do any research before buying your 2017 F150 because this headlight info was out and known since the current generation F150`s hit the market.

With that being said and going back to the last part of your previous reply, there is no need for you to complain about the headlights because it was your choice to buy your 2017 F150. As far as other parts of the vehicle that you brought up, i`m not even going to go there because those are words that you tried to put in my mouth or you`re trying to make what I said into a blanket statement for the whole vehicle.

Have a good evening.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Paul Bukowski
New User
i have a 2015 and the halogen headlights were also garbage, I bought these and still love them. Get the v.3 led model.
https://headlightrevolution.com/2015...supernova-v-3/

Night and day difference over what was in there and I have not been flashed a single time.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Lucasmarshall59
New User
I bought a 17 XLT and had the same thoughts about the factory halogens...garbage. I finally had enough and ordered LEDs from amazon to swap them out with.Ordered Kensuns for my High and Low beams and had to order Lasfits for my fog lights (Kensun didn't have the right size in stock). Made a huge change and I can actually see driving at night now. I would recommend Lasfits as I found them to be brighter and cheaper in cost. Took me about an hour total to change everything and it ran me about $160 total. The Kensuns were about $120 total and Lasfits $40. I recently ordered a 19 Lariat and will be swapping the original halogens that come with it with the aftermarket LEDs for sure

Old 09-16-2018, 06:51 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Well, obviously the headlights didn`t play a role in your decision or you just didn`t do any research before buying your 2017 F150 because this headlight info was out and known since the current generation F150`s hit the market.

With that being said and going back to the last part of your previous reply, there is no need for you to complain about the headlights because it was your choice to buy your 2017 F150. As far as other parts of the vehicle that you brought up, i`m not even going to go there because those are words that you tried to put in my mouth or you`re trying to make what I said into a blanket statement for the whole vehicle.
It did play a role, but a small one. Not enough to pass on the truck. If you actually read, I am not complaining about my truck. My words are in general to all LEDs and HIDs making the vehicle better, not the same as halogens.

The vast majority of F150 owners don`t care what IIHS has to say
...vast majority?? Hmmm, I don't need you speaking on my behalf. I am an f150 owner...and do care what IIHS has to offer. Have a pleasant evening yourself.

biz

Old 09-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Just an FYI......IIHS rates the lights as delivered on the vehicle. They do not adjust them, presumably because most people don’t have the headlights of their new vehicle adjusted unless they are severely out of whack.

Perhaps having them professionally aimed would help? It might not, but it might be worth a try, especially if you can get the dealership where you bought it to do it for free.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2018 F-150 Lariat Head lamps