2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Help picking the right F150 model for me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Nitrousbird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help picking the right F150 model for me...

I'll start with saying I'm not a big Ford guy. I owned a 94 Mustang GT Manual about 15 years ago I got cheap...ran find but was unimpressed compared to my Formula Firebird of the same vintage. Also had a '06 F150 work truck years ago that I absolutely hated. That said, the '15+ trucks are nice; my brother in-law has had a '12 and '14 Raptor that I really liked, along with a '15 F250 and a new '18 F250 (all as loaded as you can get them). Very nice trucks all around.

Use case: Winter driver, family trip vehicle, Home Depot hauler and boat towing. I pretty much tow a 5000lb boat 2 miles at a max of 40MPH a couple times every weekend. Only real towing is once a year through the Kentucky/Tennessee mountains, loaded up with gear/family, so a good 6500lbs. I could see upgrading boats eventually to a bigger wake boat, so perhaps will need an additional 1000lbs of capacity in the future.

Current rig is a '07 Escalade EXT. Previous was a 1st gen as loaded as you could get it Avalanche. My requirements:
4x4
Full quad cab
Leather with heated seats
Sunroof
Android Auto (which I realize requires a '16+ or swap in a Sync 3 to get it @ $1500)

Unfortunately, all trucks local to me are typically 5k in price higher than if I travel 100 miles, so I will be traveling. Which model should I be looking for? Lariats seems to have what I need but aren't as plentiful in the price range I'm looking for (under 100k miles, 25k + tax price). While I was in Canada recently, I saw an XLT with leather (actually was very well optioned from a quick glance at it) - can you get an XLT with leather? Would it make sense to buy an XLT and find a used factory leather interior and swap it out...again, with the overall goal of meeting my mileage and budget criteria?

Lastly, motors. 2.7 Eco enough? I turn my own wrenches and am not adverse to bumping up the boost to meet my needs, but I am looking for some level of reliability and NOT another project vehicle. The Escalade has eaten more time than I'd like over the last year and I have a maintenance hungry modded 335i BMW I contend with as well.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I wouldn't advise the sunroof, Ford's notorious for leaking sunroofs. So many unhappy people here.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:56 PM
JKBrad
Received 810 Likes on 595 Posts
I would look for a XLT with a Sport or 302A pkg. That will get you heated seats. Then get Classic Soft Trim or Katzkins aftermarket leather. Both are very high quality and generally regarded to be better than OEM. The price would be around $1200.

Simce you are considering a heavy wake boat and you intend to do mountain towing, a 3.5 EcoBoost is what I’d recommend. That gets you the highest tow rating. If mountains weren’t a factor, a 5.0 would do for the rest of your needs. A 2.7 isn’t rated for your future needs. Plus, when you tow the wake boat, you will probably have the truck load with people and gear.

If you go with a Lariat or higher, you get 4A, an all wheel drive selection, on the transfer case. As said above, consider avoiding the panoramic sunroof due to reliability issues with it. If you do get one, make sure it works with no weird noises.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:23 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Oh, and if you're using Android Auto, only the 2017's and after have it.. that's if you're buying used.

My 2016 has it but I had to download it on a USB stick and install it manually in mine. I was told it'd work and it was advertised that way, but it didn't. I waited until around October 2016 and finally got the upgrade.

However, the 2016 models built later in the year doesn't need the upgrade, mine was April 2016 and I had to jump through a few hoops to get it working with my Android. Once I got it, pure bliss and joy!

The 2015 does not have Android Auto.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, thank you for the great description of your needs and wants. I grow weary of the short “what’s the best truck for me...” posts with zero details.

Third, I think a 2016 is probably the best bet for you. I’m an Apple guy, but I trust Wiggums to be right about Android Auto. Sync 3 (2016+) is worth getting, but it is far from perfect. In a 2016 you’ll get the last year the first gen 3.5L Ecoboost. While the 2nd gen is nice, for what you’re doing the 1st Gen with the 6-speed auto will be fine. Hopefully the cut-over to the new motor drops the price of the ‘16 for you (or you can negotiate that way). I’d guess the 5.0 will also be fine, but not as fun in the hills. Just make sure you get a truck with the MAX tow package so it’s set up for your hauls. The EB motors are very reliable, but they need to be run and maintained. I’d rather have a higher mileage motor with service records than a low mileage motor with unknown service. These motors are not good for grocery get’n. The 2.7L is a good motor, but you’ll be happier with the 3.5L. And don’t expect to get super mileage if that’s a factor. The EB motors drink when worked. Finally, if you want reliability, don’t tune these motors. So stick with the “too much is just right” mantra and you’ll be fine.

Personally, I’d stay away from the sunroof. They look amazing but seem to have some issues. I “had” to order my truck from the factory because all the rigs around here have the sunroof (and no towing mirrors). I don’t like paying someone to cut a hole in my roof.

Good luck with your search. What you’re looking for is very reasonable, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a truck that meets your needs.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by onug
Sync 3 (2016+) is worth getting, but it is far from perfect.
You're not kidding! In my case, it was PERFECT, never had a problem, but, damn, I tried that in my friend's Ford Fusion and something happened and now he can't even use his CarPlay. My phone did something to it, and he performed a reset, but the issues come up once in a while, even without my phone. I felt bad, his car was only a week old when i did that. I know some are really troublesome, I guess it's a crap shoot.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:05 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
My daughter just bought a 2018 equipped with your needs. XLT, 302a package, android auto which she seriously loves BTW, max tow, back up assist, heated seats and and host of other goodies. And, we very deliberately walked away from all trucks with a piece of glass in the roof. We got her about 10K off the sticker of her FX4 sport package truck.

Chrome trucks can be had for a bit less as they are more plentiful. There are good deals on new trucks and used trucks are holding stupid value that will make you think that you just bought a new truck. Shop carefully and welcome to FTE.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I'd disagree with the need for the 3.5L EB or the max tow package. The 2.7L EB makes nearly as much torque as the 6.2L V8 in your Escalade(375 ft-lbs vs. your 403), and the truck itself is going to be around 1,000 lbs lighter. You shouldn't have a hard time maintaining the speed limit up any hill you please in WV with that engine, as well as a slightly larger boat you get in the future. If you're looking to upgrade to an 8,000+ lb cruiser later on, a 3.5L would make sense...but a larger wake boat just isn't that heavy.

I'd also recommend staying away from the sunroof, and adding leather seat covers afterward. I've never had a set of leather seat covers myself, but I've never heard anything but great things about the Katzkins brand before. And you save thousands over a Lariat model, which allows you to get a truck with less miles and in better shape.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:09 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE,
I have a 2.7 and am very happy with it I Haul a TT 21ft 6000 lb. with a 600 lb. Tongue weight and I don't even know its behind me,I got the XLT with all the Goodies
But no Sun or Panoramic Moon Roof too many problems if you use it that first time and it Jams you're SOL because something Plastic Broke and Headliner leaks for Life

Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
The 2.7 handles my MasterCraft X10 and my car trailer just fine. My truck has the 6 speed auto & 3:55 rear gears. In some configurations of the truck I think Ford had 3:31 gears which might be a little tall if you upgraded your boat. Probably the 3:55 or 3:73 if you plan to tow heavier.
I upgraded both my USB port and Sync version to the latest. The new port cost $50 & took about 30 seconds to install. The new version of sync took 3 tries before it worked. On the final try I did a master reset before doing the install & it went perfect. I can now use waze as my navigation app.
If you want dual zone climate control you might have to get a Lariat. I don't think it's available on the XLT.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Montana300
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use case: Winter driver, family trip vehicle, Home Depot hauler and boat towing. I pretty much tow a 5000lb boat 2 miles at a max of 40MPH a couple times every weekend. Only real towing is once a year through the Kentucky/Tennessee mountains, loaded up with gear/family, so a good 6500lbs. I could see upgrading boats eventually to a bigger wake boat, so perhaps will need an additional 1000lbs of capacity in the future.

Current rig is a '07 Escalade EXT. Previous was a 1st gen as loaded as you could get it Avalanche. My requirements:
4x4
Full quad cab
Leather with heated seats
Sunroof
Android Auto (which I realize requires a '16+ or swap in a Sync 3 to get it @ $1500)

Unfortunately, all trucks local to me are typically 5k in price higher than if I travel 100 miles, so I will be traveling. Which model should I be looking for? Lariats seems to have what I need but aren't as plentiful in the price range I'm looking for (under 100k miles, 25k + tax price).

OK... welcome to Ford and the forum! For your use case and options list, $25k plus tax at less than 100k miles is going to be a unicorn! If I were in your shoes, give the use case, I’d sacrifice the leather which opens up XLT models that might start approaching your price/miles equation. As others have stated, you can always get aftermarket leather if it’s really a need. Having an XLT with cloth, I’ll say it’s pretty nice cloth. However, I know some people who can’t do anything but leather in a vehicle, and if that’s you.. you’re stuck with a Lariat and an empty wallet.

Oh, and don’t scrimp on the motor. Get the 3.5EB. No one in the history of engines ever regretted owning the more powerful engine.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I wouldn't worry about either Ecoboost, my '14 model 3.5 Ecoboost eats up my loaded out horse trailer at 5500 lbs and alot of headwind no problem whatsoever. From what I've read the new 2.7 with the 10 speed transmission can tow as well as my older 3.5
The heaviest I have lugged around so far is my tractor which loaded on a trailer with the loader and all is 8500-9000 lbs and power is not an issue.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Montana300

If I were in your shoes, give the use case, I’d sacrifice the leather which opens up XLT models that might start approaching your price/miles equation. As others have stated, you can always get aftermarket leather if it’s really a need. Having an XLT with cloth, I’ll say it’s pretty nice cloth. However, I know some people who can’t do anything but leather in a vehicle, and if that’s you.. you’re stuck with a Lariat and an empty wallet.
I totally agree with this. My XLT is the first truck/vehicle to NOT have leather since the mid 90's. I originally was looking at the Lariat because I 'thought' I needed leather. After seeing the price as built at $56K I said hell no. I have almost 60K miles on my XLT and the seats still look like new. And they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:03 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
I totally agree with this. My XLT is the first truck/vehicle to NOT have leather since the mid 90's. I originally was looking at the Lariat because I 'thought' I needed leather. After seeing the price as built at $56K I said hell no. I have almost 60K miles on my XLT and the seats still look like new. And they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
The only thing on the Lariat that we wanted was the leather seats. So the dealer added leather to our XLT for $995. Good deal, and we love the seats. Plus we got leather in a gray color to match the Ingot Silver paint job instead of the factory black leather (that would have been on the Lariat if we'd gotten that).

Old 08-24-2018, 03:35 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
The only thing on the Lariat that we wanted was the leather seats. So the dealer added leather to our XLT for $995. Good deal, and we love the seats. Plus we got leather in a gray color to match the Ingot Silver paint job instead of the factory black leather (that would have been on the Lariat if we'd gotten that).
Funny. The only thing(s) I really wanted on the Lariat was the dual zone climate control and the upgraded stereo. If/when my cloth seats wear out I'll probably go with some sort of cover. I'm really hoping this is the last truck I buy.

Quick Reply: Help picking the right F150 model for me...