Sponsored by:

Steering wheel volume control question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:21 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel volume control question

So I just finished installing the latest Pumpkin 7" Octa core 4gb Android 8 Head Unit. I youtube searched the hell out of it before the install and found that the canbus decoder is not needed. I even verified with a meter that there was resistance change from the steering wheel volume buttons. Anyways I get it all working perfectly.......but only sometimes. Of course the steering wheel controls stopped working the instant I sent the unneeded canbus decoder back to amazon. Can anyone school me on the steering wheel radio control buttons. I didn't cut any wires. I tapped "key1" wire into the Blue/red wire at the square harness connector. Otherwise I'm really happy with this head unit. boots up almost instantly.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Any pics installed? Did you have to buy a kit?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Any pics installed? Did you have to buy a kit?
Sorry no pics yet, but no kit required except for the wiring harness. Just very carefully trim the upper and lower flanges of the dash panel. the Head Unit just sits snuggly in place and is held in by the left and right flanges of the dash panel. I'll take a picture later today. I took a chance on this unit and cut off the "ISO" connector on the HU harness so I could splice it too the Metra Ford connector harness which I also bought on Amazon. You should see if there is a Ford to ISO adapter available. That way you could return the HU I you don't like it.

I did some reading on Metras web site last night and I found a snippet where it mentions using a optional 12k resistor is series to some radios. However no Android HU is mentioned anywhere in their instructions.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Received 497 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by chetspencer
So I just finished installing the latest Pumpkin 7" Octa core 4gb Android 8 Head Unit. I youtube searched the hell out of it before the install and found that the canbus decoder is not needed. I even verified with a meter that there was resistance change from the steering wheel volume buttons. Anyways I get it all working perfectly.......but only sometimes. Of course the steering wheel controls stopped working the instant I sent the unneeded canbus decoder back to amazon. Can anyone school me on the steering wheel radio control buttons. I didn't cut any wires. I tapped "key1" wire into the Blue/red wire at the square harness connector. Otherwise I'm really happy with this head unit. boots up almost instantly.
Apologies, working from memory here and that is not always good for me. The CanBus wires, Key1 and Key2 are on the MultiMedia connector (20pin), not the connector with the radio power and speaker (12 Pin). Should be pin #6 on the 20 pin connector, Lt Blue/Pink wire. If its not working, I'd check your connection and make sure your fan controls still work.

Found this diagram that might help.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Apologies, working from memory here and that is not always good for me. The CanBus wires, Key1 and Key2 are on the MultiMedia connector (20pin), not the connector with the radio power and speaker (12 Pin). Should be pin #6 on the 20 pin connector, Lt Blue/Pink wire. If its not working, I'd check your connection and make sure your fan controls still work.

Found this diagram that might help.
So It Looks like wire #14 Blue/red goes straight to the steering wheel control buttons / resistor matrix. No canbus involved that I can see. This is very helpful, thank you. Hopefully I just need to add a resistor in series with it or the problem could be in the HU which is new and maybe has a bug.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:15 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
So It Looks like wire #14 Blue/red goes straight to the steering wheel control buttons / resistor matrix. No canbus involved that I can see. This is very helpful, thank you. Hopefully I just need to add a resistor in series with it or the problem could be in the HU which is new and maybe has a bug.
Let me know if it works. Maybe I can move my wire. Sometimes my down volume button turns into an up volume button while attached to LtBlu/Pink.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:36 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
Let me know if it works. Maybe I can move my wire. Sometimes my down volume button turns into an up volume button while attached to LtBlu/Pink.
I have the exact same behavior now, so I suspect that you are already tied into Blu/red. Thanks for the feedback. BTW my SWC buttons were all working perfectly with the factory radio and the fan / temp buttons still work.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 AM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
I have the exact same behavior now, so I suspect that you are already tied into Blu/red. Thanks for the feedback. BTW my SWC buttons were all working perfectly with the factory radio and the fan / temp buttons still work.
I currently have the Key1 wire tapped into the Lt Blue/Pink on the 20 pin connector.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:13 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Here's a picture of the unit installed.

Pumpkin 7" Android 8 Octa core 4GB HU Model AE0273B-08A

Old 05-27-2018, 01:22 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Here's a youtube I made today:

Old 05-27-2018, 01:24 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Also figured out that the buttons fail to work only when the lights are on. parking or headlights kill the SWC buttons to radio.

This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDD5QRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CDD5QRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by chetspencer; 05-27-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added amazon link to HU
Old 05-27-2018, 06:21 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Ok so I'm making progress. I found a simple trick on the internets where you just keep programming the SWC buttons under different vehicle conditions. So at the moment my Android HU thinks I have 12 different buttons.
here's the link if anyone wants more info.XDA Android head unit forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:53 PM
ShelbyHauler
Laughing Gas
Ok so I'm making progress. I found a simple trick on the internets where you just keep programming the SWC buttons under different vehicle conditions. So at the moment my Android HU thinks I have 12 different buttons.
here's the link if anyone wants more info.XDA Android head unit forum
Seems like a lot of work programming all those settings. Are you still on the Blue/Red wire and have you tried the Blue/Pink? I'm using the Blue/Pink and have no issues with lights on or off, and only sometimes does the volume down button change to volume up. I still have to play with the tap and long press options to see what I can make them do.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing it all. Think I am going to get one myself after reading up on it.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I got to do a little driving today, the SWC buttons are working perfectly right now. Still have to test drive at night with headlights on. Here's a screen shot of the SWC programs, which took about one minute to setup:

Easy fix for SWC issue.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel volume control question