Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Auto Screw Up....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:14 AM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Auto Screw Up....

I've been chasing a fuel pump issue with my F350 for a couple weeks. I decided to buy a new high pressure pump to have on hand if the 30 year old oem pump decides to die.

So I ordered a GMB 499 1080 pump. It came yesterday. The problem is it's an in tank pump not the high pressure pump. The online catalog doesn't have a photo just a description of a high pressure pump.

I contacted RA and got a return shipping label. I tried to describe the problem in detail but they only give you 50 or so characters to describe the problem. I have a hunch they will ship me another incorrect pump after the return is on its way.

Film at 11....

Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 AM
MabelF250
Junior User
I have had this happen with RA also. I have only used them maybe 3 times, and i am never happy with the time it takes for an item to get to me. I ordered something last week, that they shipped out next day by way of FedEx, which i paid for, and i still dont have it. Now when i order from Summit, its literally in my hands next day, and same shipping price... not trting to knock RA, but maybe they could tweak a couple shipping and returning issues.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:49 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,392 Likes on 1,101 Posts
Personally I would not have purchased this pump It sounds like a generic pump to me

Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 AM
krooser
Elder User
Unless you buy the $298.00 Motorcraft pump you are stuck with a non oem pump. No problem with that as long as they send the correct pump. The description is wrong.

I'm not a big fan of Rock Auto... they DO have a few things that you can't buy from other sources (they do buy outs of OEM parts) but shipping is usually really high especially considering I live 90 miles from them. Their online catalog is a great refererence resource. I would have never ordered from them the other day except my local stores only offer one choice for these pumps. My local Federated has a Standard brand pump for $66.00... O'Reilly's quoted me $79.00 and NAPA came in at $72.00. Advance is 18 miles from me and I have a 20% coupon but their price and brand is equal to what I have right here.

As usual I can buy at my local parts store at the same price, or cheaper, than online. I only have to drive a 1/2 mile to get it or return it. No brainer for me. But I just want a spare in the toolbox in case this one dies on Sunday in the middle of Bum*uck Egypt...

Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 AM
95fiveoh
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rock Auto is great as long as they don't screw up. When they do, your chances of getting a return or even decent customer service are about none. Their customer service is non-existent.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:34 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts
Interesting. I've ordered probably 15 times from them with only one error. Incorrect starter or water pump if I remember correctly. The box had the correct part number but the wrong part in that box. Simple exchange. Shipping isn't cheap, but typically that's made up for with lower prices.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM
MabelF250
Junior User
And RockAutos shipping is crazy slow... at least to me it seems to be. Summit is next day, in my hand, and always had grear customer service

Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM
krooser
Elder User
I opted to have it shipped USPS priority...arrived promptly. The return is going FedEx...no charge to me.

I should have chosen to get a refund then order a different part number.

I know lots of guys like them but I'm on a long deal with Federated and NAPA so I get good prices from them and non stocking parts are 1/2 day away or I can choose to drive to either warehouse less than one hour away.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
I've never had any of the above problems with them.
Several times they have even sent replacement pieces without wanting the problem one back.
No extra charges either.
Shipping has always been fast too.

Maybe I'm lucky.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:52 PM
MabelF250
Junior User
I wish i had your luck then... lol... i have never had issues with products, just crazy slow shipping. The part i ordered on monday shipped monday, still not to me... in the mean time, i ordered a part from summit on thursday about noon, and got it last night...

Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,392 Likes on 1,101 Posts
Originally Posted by McLeod
I've never had any of the above problems with them.
Several times they have even sent replacement pieces without wanting the problem one back.
No extra charges either.
Shipping has always been fast too.

Maybe I'm lucky.
It’s not just you. I have been happy with their return policy. Fill in the form and once they get notification of the return in the mail, they have sent out the replacement part. I order parts that I am not in a hurry to get. The cost savings is worth the extra few days that it have to wait.

I ordered a part online from Napa and had it sent to my local store which is still 10+ miles away. They charged me a fee when I picked it up since it wasn’t something they normally stocked. Would have been easier to just have it shipped to my house.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Use Rockauto commercially, have for years. Only time i've ever received an incorrect part was on my ignorance not reading the description.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 PM
krooser
Elder User
Someone made the decision that this pump was a high pressure deal...it certainly is not. Maybe the mfr. goofed and the order fillers are just doing their job.

I'm really not mad at RA just frustrated more because it's difficult to make a precise comment on their return form...just not enough space.

I will see how things go this coming week.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 AM
rj1983
Senior User
Most of my experience with RA has been good, I'm getting parts shipped from them to Australia, lately there have been a few mainly quality issues with parts I have ordered and RA have always come to the party with either a full refund or shipping out replacement parts. On occasion they havent even worried about getting the faulty part shipped back to them. Not really their fault if the suppliers are sending dodgy parts but cant fault their customer service, they have even called me on occasion to sort out problems.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 776 Likes on 553 Posts
If you think returning a wrong part is hard, wait till you try warranty return. If you have packaging & original order info, you're golden.

Otherwise you are buying the replacement, eating the shipping & watching the credit get nibbled away.

Rock is absolutely the best for non-critical time based shopping. The prices are based strictly on NON human interaction from multiple sources.That's were the low prices come from.

If you sign up for their newsletter, you can get some great discounts & clearance items/prices.

If you're in a hurry, might as well pay more & buy local.

Buying just one part is never going to be cost effective, but if you can't get exactly what you want (Motorcraft, say) elsewhere, Rock is the place.

But it's buyer beware. Best know exactly what you want before you hit send.

Quick Reply: Rock Auto Screw Up....