2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Questions on New 2018 F250 SD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions on New 2018 F250 SD

My 16 is having issues and the dealership is putting me in a new truck for no extra charge. I'm trying to pick out my options and have it narrowed down to a few trucks we've found.

1). Is the High Capacity Tow Package worth the money? I can't seem to find exactly what it gives you? Does it increase payload capacity? Does it make the ride stiffer or less comfortable when not loaded? I'll be daily driving more than I'll be pulling our travel trailer.

2). Is BLIS worth the money, or just a gimmicky add on?

3). Do you prefer the Extended Running Boards, or the standard 6" chrome running boards? Seems with the high bed, it would be nice to have. step to get into the bed from the side.. Do they get in the way in any way at all, or are they worth having?

4). I found one with the Lariat Value Package that has everything I want on it, but it doesn't have an added on Tailgate step. So, I assume it doesn't have one. With the height of these trucks, would you own one without the tailgate step?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Originally Posted by mayberry32
My 16 is having issues and the dealership is putting me in a new truck for no extra charge. I'm trying to pick out my options and have it narrowed down to a few trucks we've found.

1). Is the High Capacity Tow Package worth the money? Not really. I have it. Only because of the deal I got on the truck. I can't seem to find exactly what it gives you? 3” receiver instead of 2.5” which means double spacers and a tough time finding receiver locks. Plus the same rear as the F350, stiffest springs up front and the additional helper spring in the rear. Does it increase payload capacity? No!! It actually lowers payload because the added weight of a bigger rear and more springs and heavier receiver but you still have a max of 10k for the vehicle weight. It technically might make the truck capable of hauling more, but not legally or on the door sticker. Does it make the ride stiffer or less comfortable when not loaded? Seat of my pants says it is a bit stiffer than other 250s. I'll be daily driving more than I'll be pulling our travel trailer. The helper spring is nice when towing but it depends on how heavy you tow if you ever really need it.

2). Is BLIS worth the money, or just a gimmicky add on? I still use the mirrors. Could easily do without blis.

3). Do you prefer the Extended Running Boards, or the standard 6" chrome running boards? Seems with the high bed, it would be nice to have. step to get into the bed from the side.. Do they get in the way in any way at all, or are they worth having? I have the cab length and oftentimes, especially when hooked to a trailer, I wish I had an easier way of getting over the bed rails.

4). I found one with the Lariat Value Package that has everything I want on it, but it doesn't have an added on Tailgate step. So, I assume it doesn't have one. With the height of these trucks, would you own one without the tailgate step? I use mine on occasion because the rear is pretty high. But any time I’m actually hauling stuff I don’t use it cuz it can get in the way. I swapped my rear blocks for those off a 16 and it makes getting in the back much easier. 1.5 inches makes a difference. And makes my trailer tow level.

I think if it’s a good deal and has everything you want other than the tailgate step you should go for it!

Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok if you plan on having a TT or a 5er get the tow pkg it will certainly help. Because the truck is higghhh and. Big the BLIS is definitely worth it. If you young then skip the tailgate step but definitely get the e xtend running boards. Another avenue is shop for a 350 and then payload should not be an issue. My 350 has aa payload close to 3300#

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 PM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Thanks to both of you. The trailer is pulled about once a month, and I live I north Georgia. So, around the Smoky Mountains is about the most strain I will see. Total trailer weight is 8,500 lbs. I think I would go to a large double slide bunkhouse before we went to a 5th wheel. We have 3 small kids, so I don't think there is a 5th wheel that will fit us properly where I wouldn't need to move up in tow vehicle size. I'm more concerned with the other 300+ days of the year where I'm using the truck as a daily driver. From what I'm reading here, it appears that High Capacity Tow Package is not desired, BLIS is nice if it's there, but nothing to chase down in a truck, and the extended running boards are a nice addition, if I can find them with the other things I need.

I'm 40 yrs old, so not young and not old. With the height of these trucks, I keep thinking of when we go to the beach or to the mountains. I have to load a ton of stuff into and out of the bed. Especially firewood when camping. I always use my tailgate step for that. It also helps when loading mountain bikes into the bed.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 PM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Thanks to both of you. The trailer is pulled about once a month, and I live I north Georgia. So, around the Smoky Mountains is about the most strain I will see. Total trailer weight is 8,500 lbs. I think I would go to a large double slide bunkhouse before we went to a 5th wheel. We have 3 small kids, so I don't think there is a 5th wheel that will fit us properly where I wouldn't need to move up in tow vehicle size. I'm more concerned with the other 300+ days of the year where I'm using the truck as a daily driver. From what I'm reading here, it appears that High Capacity Tow Package is not desired, BLIS is nice if it's there, but nothing to chase down in a truck, and the extended running boards are a nice addition, if I can find them with the other things I need.

I'm 40 yrs old, so not young and not old. With the height of these trucks, I keep thinking of when we go to the beach or to the mountains. I have to load a ton of stuff into and out of the bed. Especially firewood when camping. I always use my tailgate step for that. It also helps when loading mountain bikes into the bed.
have you considered a F-150 ecoboost with the HD payload and HD Tow pkg. if 8500# is your TT for the extended period. I hauled a 10500# with my 16’ F-150 ecoscrew.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:00 AM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
I had an F150 before the 250. It pulled it, but it didn't do well in the mountains and I got pushed all over the road by tractor trailers. It was tail wagging the dog at times, and that's why I went to the 250. I love the 3/4 ton and I honestly don't want to go back to a half ton unless I get rid of the camper and have no other choice.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 AM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Since you are being so helpful, a simple question: I want the two tone White Platinum color. It can come with the Magnetic Metallic bottom and black leather interior, or it can come with the Stone Gray (beige) bottom and the camel colored leather interior. Will the Magnetic or the Stone Gray look better paired with the White Platinum paint?

Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
I understand your situation. I should have clarified that I hauled a 5er which wasn’t effected by wind and T trucks. I moved to a F-350 because of my trip wil take me over the Rockies. Well you could get. The. 6.2 as that will save you money

Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
With kids I would probably go with the darker interior, or count on adding seat covers.

FWIW, I have the power running boards. I chose them because they provide a step that is almost 2" lower than the fixed steps. That made a difference for my wife who is 5'4". The power running boards do not come with the extended part. I kind of prefer not having the extended part as it keeps some knucklehead from leaning against the paint on the bedside to grab something out of the bed.

I really like the tailgate step.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 AM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
Since you are being so helpful, a simple question: I want the two tone White Platinum color. It can come with the Magnetic Metallic bottom and black leather interior, or it can come with the Stone Gray (beige) bottom and the camel colored leather interior. Will the Magnetic or the Stone Gray look better paired with the White Platinum paint?
I’m a black interior guy so I’m jaded. The magnetic would look great. This is my rig

Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 AM
Bill_The_PA
Posting Guru
The pictures are more to give you ideas and to see the running boards.
FWIW the 360 camera is awesome. If you have ability I’d travel the country and don’t waver from your needs and then get as many wants as you can find and afford. For me I had mine built with payload being the biggest factor for deciding what options I needed then the wants followed while staying in my budget. I have a great rig that can be better but not foe the extra money ford wanted me to pay.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 AM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
I'm struggling to accept the Lariat Ultimate Package that includes the Keyless ignition . The Lariat Value Package still has an actual key. Other than that, I have most of my needs and wants worked out, it seems. Just trying to decide between those two 2-tone color options now. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with the Keyless ignition either way.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:38 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Love the keyless ignition. I really don't like driving my wife's car that requires a key.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 AM
2017F250131
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Love the keyless ignition. I really don't like driving my wife's car that requires a key.
I second HRTKD's position...love the keyless ignition.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1). Is the High Capacity Tow Package worth the money? I can't seem to find exactly what it gives you? Does it increase payload capacity? Does it make the ride stiffer or less comfortable when not loaded? I'll be daily driving more than I'll be pulling our travel trailer.
No, I'd rather add air bags if I needed them to level for a TT.
2). Is BLIS worth the money, or just a gimmicky add on?
It's not for me. I like my trucks simple and reliable. I'm not into the new age gizmos.

3). Do you prefer the Extended Running Boards, or the standard 6" chrome running boards? Seems with the high bed, it would be nice to have. step to get into the bed from the side.. Do they get in the way in any way at all, or are they worth having?
I don't like any of the OEM boards. I went with Westin HDX. Some frame mounted sliders would be nice, but I don't know if anyone makes them yet for the new SD.

4). I found one with the Lariat Value Package that has everything I want on it, but it doesn't have an added on Tailgate step. So, I assume it doesn't have one. With the height of these trucks, would you own one without the tailgate step?

I have some trouble getting into the truck. I close the tailgate and climb up the bumper and swing a leg over the gate to grab things. Or I climb up the rear tires.

It convinced me to loose some weight. I shouldn't have any trouble climbing into trucks.

Quick Reply: Questions on New 2018 F250 SD