Sponsored by: Moser

Exterior lighting upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exterior lighting upgrades!

Over the last couple weeks I've been busy installing some lighting upgrades.

For the headlights I ended up with the Spyder Auto DRL lightbar black headlights. I went with the factory HID models since I had the factory HID setup. I had waited forever for these to become available because nobody up until a certain point made a set of headlights for the trucks that came with factory HID's. I wanted black headlights to replace my factory clear ones, but I wanted projectors with the shutter doors like the factory headlights too. I also love that they have the same shape as the factory headlights and the LED lightbar follows the factory headlight style. The stock FX4 headlights are quite pricey as well. Just had to swap over the bulb, ballast, and ballast harness. I ended up disconnecting the LED lightbar to remove them from the parking lights. I decided I wanted them to be actual DRL's, so I set up a fuse tap in the fuse block in the engine bay and ran wires to the headlights. Now the LED lightbar turns on and off with key on and off! I also ended up installing a set of switchback turn signal bulbs to finish them up. Love them!

Black 2013-2014 Ford F150 LED DRL Tube "D3S HID" Projector Headlights Headlamps | eBay

For the tail lights I ended up with the Eagle Eyes G2 black tail lights. I originally had the FX4 tail lights, but wanted a set of tail lights that matched the Spyder headlights. The Eagle Eyes G2's have the LED lightbars in them like the headlights do, and they are clear lens with black housings as well. I also installed a set of LED reverse bulbs too to complete the look. They're awesome!

2009-2014 Ford F150 F-150 Pickup G2 Black LED Tube Tail Lights Lamps RH & LH

Lastly (for now), I installed a DT Moto black third brake lamp. Once again I wanted something to match the Spyder headlights and Eagle Eyes tail lights, so I went with a clear lens black housing light. I also wanted an LED setup too as I feel the factory clear one dates the truck badly. I also love this one too because it's plug and play. The more expensive units actually need to be spliced in which is ridiculous!

Black 2009-2014 Ford F150 LED 3rd Third Brake Light Stop Cargo Lamp 09-14 F-150 | eBay

I currently have a set of Morimoto XB projector foglights on order as well. I didn't want the factory clear ones, and I wanted lights that would fit the factory bumper correctly. I seen that Rigid makes a bracket to put the square lights in the round holes, but I think it looks goofy. Only other options were Recon/Spyder, but they are reflector style and the Morimoto puts out better light because they are projector style, plus they're black housing.

2009-2014 Ford F150 MORIMOTO XB LED Fog Lights 2400 Lumens Direct Fit PAIR NEW | eBay

Most likely I will end up replacing the mirror reflectors with smoked turn signals and the puddle lights as well. I've already got the LED plate bulbs so that's covered! I'm not sure if I'll add any other lighting to the truck yet. The lighted emblems are cool but a lot of money and I'm not sold on them.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Got the Morimoto projector fog lights installed yesterday. They are freaking amazing! So much nicer looking than the factory ones along with MUCH better light output. They bolt right into the factory housings and come with new springs and hardware. Only thing you have to do is match the polarity on the wires and plug them into the factory connectors. Awesome upgrade for the money and they are way better than the Recon or Spyder ones. Last step for them is to get some yellow Lamin-X for them.

I also just placed an order for this:

DBMOTOR 2009-2014 F150 LED Mirror Reflector & Indicator + LED Puddle Lamp

I've been wanting to do the mirror reflector turn signal mod until I found that they make full replacements. Anzo and Recon are the known brands, but they are quite expensive for what they are. I knew I wanted to replace the factory signals with smoked ones instead of amber as well along with installing LED puddle lights to replace the factory halogen ones. Going with Anzo or Recon for these pieces was going to be 200+ dollars, and after comparing the LED output and reviews don't feel they are worth what they charge. At 128 dollars with shipping I was cool with giving the DB Motor ones a try.

I don't think I'll get the lighted emblems. At almost 300 dollars they aren't worth that kind of money to me. I also was thinking about a light bar or bull bar, but I feel like they just don't go with the flow of the truck. The light bar that goes in the lower grille is tempting too, but then it's blocking the intercooler. The light bar on the aftermarket grilles is cool too, but not for 1000 bucks.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Yellow fog light covers from Lamin-X ordered!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the black headlights and tail lights put out the same amount of light as the stock ones?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Run-D fogs. Not quite as extensive. They serve my purpose.
Enabled with OEM fogs and a toggle relay to a Show-Me alternating l/r strobe controller just because.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bruker
Do the black headlights and tail lights put out the same amount of light as the stock ones?
I'd say the headlights are about the same. The turn signals and running lights are definitely brighter. The tail lights are brighter as well behind the truck. The stock lights put out more light to the side of the truck. They are black housing, not smoked lenses. I dislike smoked lenses.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by newfordy
Run-D fogs. Not quite as extensive. They serve my purpose.
Enabled with OEM fogs and a toggle relay to a Show-Me alternating l/r strobe controller just because.

Those are pretty cool! Unfortunately I don't want to block the intercooler opening on my truck and simply wanted a replacement for the stock fogs.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Going to have to send the third brake light back. Just noticed today it's letting moisture into it. Hopefully the company warranties it.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Company warrantied the third brake light, so I've got a new one coming! Also, I got the driver's side tail light adjusted to fit a little better. Sat a bit too far in on the top. Yellow Lamin-X is on the way for the fog lights. Decided against the lighted fender emblems. They have the bar on them that my truck doesn't have, plus they're a little too flat on the finish, I wanted gloss to match the Limited bed letters. Just waiting for the mirror upgrade parts to get here as well. While waiting for the parts to get here I've been painting the emblems black and red too.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Got the new third brake light installed and tossed the old one in the trash. They warrantied it and didn't ask for it back. Found that it had cracked where one of the mounting bolts was. Got the headlights and fog lights aligned and adjusted as well. I installed the yellow Lamin-X on the fog lights but wasn't happy with it. The Morimoto fogs overpowered it and it looked just kind of green instead of yellow. Without yellow bulbs behind the Lamin-X the light doesn't come out yellow enough, plus I wasn't happy with how the Lamin-X laid on the fog lights.

I also got the Pulley Auto Parts mirror upgrade kit installed. Ended up popping off the mirror glass and taking the mirror capsule apart to install all the parts. The LED puddle lamps are MUCH better than the stock ones. Also, the smoked lenses instead of the amber ones makes a huge difference as well. Having the turn signals on the front of the mirrors is really cool too instead of just the reflectors.

At this point I think I've got all the exterior lighting that I want to do. The only other thing I'm considering is maybe some spotlights or offroad lights but I also don't want anything too tacky. Everyone seems to love those front lightbars that go above the cabs but I don't see the reason for them unless you're going through a cornfield at night. I've seen people do extra lights in the back for reversing to campers or boats in the dark but with the new reverse bulbs it's pretty bright behind the truck at night.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM
vhmike73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I also got the Pulley Auto Parts mirror upgrade kit installed. Ended up popping off the mirror glass and taking the mirror capsule apart to install all the parts. The LED puddle lamps are MUCH better than the stock ones. Also, the smoked lenses instead of the amber ones makes a huge difference as well. Having the turn signals on the front of the mirrors is really cool too instead of just the reflectors.
Can you post up a couple pics of these reflectors in action, and how they look installed? And what's your impression of them quality-wise? I'm picking up my new to me 2013 XLT SuperCrew and am VERY interested in those lights, but without having much of an indication of their durability, I'm curious as to your thoughts on their build quality, installation and performance.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vhmike73
Can you post up a couple pics of these reflectors in action, and how they look installed? And what's your impression of them quality-wise? I'm picking up my new to me 2013 XLT SuperCrew and am VERY interested in those lights, but without having much of an indication of their durability, I'm curious as to your thoughts on their build quality, installation and performance.

Thanks in advance!!
Quality wise I think they are very good. All of the pieces fit perfectly. I'd say the kit was well worth the 128 dollars. The amber reflectors bugged me and I wanted them to be be signals. Also, the LED puddle lights are MUCH brighter than the halogens. I don't have any pictures, but they are plug and play and function perfectly.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM
vhmike73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
Quality wise I think they are very good. All of the pieces fit perfectly. I'd say the kit was well worth the 128 dollars. The amber reflectors bugged me and I wanted them to be be signals. Also, the LED puddle lights are MUCH brighter than the halogens. I don't have any pictures, but they are plug and play and function perfectly.
Thanks for the reply! I'll pull the trigger now...heck, it's only money, and all the factory stuff can go back on if necessary.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vhmike73
Thanks for the reply! I'll pull the trigger now...heck, it's only money, and all the factory stuff can go back on if necessary.
Yea, they were worth it for sure. I always thought the amber reflectors looked out of place and wish Ford had just done turn signals there to start with. I'm debating just tossing my factory stuff. I don't feel like anyone will ever want them. lol

Old 05-19-2017, 07:03 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are all the pictures, in this Thread

Quick Reply: Exterior lighting upgrades!