Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

RCI Skid Plates...Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
They're about 6.5" tall and have Darvic Corp molded in the bottom. I've had them for 6+ years and never had problems with them sliding on the driveway until I used them for these skid plates. Now they love to squirt forward when I'm driving up. Had to put the truck into 4wd and goose it a bit to run the truck up before they could move. I've started looking for replacements after that episode.

Sure wish the weather would hold for tomorrow...I've got the gas tank skid plate and cab steps just waiting in my garage!
Im going for the scepter brand 12000lb ramps, there made in canada and what my friends have done was laid scraps of house carpeting down and then the ramps on top, they say it works real good for not having them slide.

p.s, there 50% off ill add again, the real reason was to get some height on the new suv that i bought couple of months ago but with the weight capacity these have, this will work slick for a little more air on the f150 while doing the oil/filter.

Thanks for your reply

Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're pretty awesome. I was just under my rig trying to break a frozen nut and got tired of smacking myself in the face with tools. If it's dry on Sunday I'll put her up and hopefully get everything installed.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 PM
onug
Cargo Master
@deserteagle69...here's the new design on the front skid plate. I think the design is intended to support losening the bolt and then sliding off the mount for quick access to the oil filter. I haven't tried it yet...my first oil change in a few weeks (with the plates on) should be interesting...

Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Got my RCI steps installed today....

Off with the old garbage ones. Finish never held up and they were starting to rust everywhere. The thin gauge metal wouldn't stand up to anything other than doors opening into them (and they worked great; I don't have any door dings thus far).

Old 04-09-2017, 07:10 PM
onug
Cargo Master

And the new ones. These are a solid piece of kit. I'll call them "lite" sliders. They don't have a solid enough mounting position to be true sliders, but I really like the extra protection and better design.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
@deserteagle69...here's the new design on the front skid plate. I think the design is intended to support losening the bolt and then sliding off the mount for quick access to the oil filter. I haven't tried it yet...my first oil change in a few weeks (with the plates on) should be interesting...
Thank you! Very helpful and I don't see why I can't modify mine to work the same way. Let us know how the oil change goes and if you find any problems.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Got the fuel tank skid plate on tonight. No pics of it installed, but there's not much to see. Here's a side-by-side of the two designs. Ford's SMC version (sheet molding compound) was very light weight. I've messed with SMC years ago when I was an intern tech/lab rat for Kenworth Trucks. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. We used a four-letter word instead of "sheet" but it sounded remarkably the same. I think a solid rock hit would just destroy it. But that's what you get when MPGs are king

As with all the RCI components, the fuel tank plate bolted right up without any drama. Very happy with everything thus far.

New shocks tomorrow...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM
JKBrad
Received 814 Likes on 598 Posts
I'm surprised it's SMC. I expected to be another type of composite such as polypropylene.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM
onug
Cargo Master
Performed an oil change today. Here are some shots with the skid plates.

I have a fumoto valve on the drain plug. Went in through the removal cover on the transmission skid plate, but it wasn't necessary. Next time I'll just go in from the side.

Picture taken on the right side of the truck, looking to the left:

Tried to reach up through the gap to get to the oil filter. Not going to happen here. The blue towel is sitting on the front skid plate under the forward drain of the oil filter pan. No oil came out. The good news is the hole cut in the engine skid plate is perfectly located and poured right out the middle and into the drain pan without issue. Ended up getting the filter out through the top. Not a bad reach, but I made a bit of a mess pulling the filter out. Next time I might take the front skid plate off.

Sorry this is so dark. Picture taken from left-front corner, looking to the right:

Old 04-29-2017, 11:07 PM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
I put one of those oil drain valves on mine at the first oil change. Love it! Once I find me an oil filter relocation kit for the truck I'm thinking I'll be able to change the oil and never get a drop on the garage floor!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts
I`ve heard about these drain valves.

Have you guys had any problems with them because i`ve considered getting one for my 2016 Lariat.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 AM
JKBrad
Received 814 Likes on 598 Posts
I have a Fumoto. It makes draining the oil a lot less messy. It takes a little bit longer to drain though.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 AM
onug
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GABAR
I`ve heard about these drain valves.

Have you guys had any problems with them because i`ve considered getting one for my 2016 Lariat.
I've had Fumoto's on my last 3-4 vehicles and never had any issues. Then again, I haven't kept them longer than 4 years. I've never heard of anyone having any issues.

It's one of the first accessories I order with a new rig. There are typically two designs per model. I recommend getting the one with the extension so you can attach a hose and direct the oil right into the bucket. Makes oil changes very easy.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 221 Likes on 184 Posts
Do you use the Fumoto safety clip on the valve?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
onug
Cargo Master
I do on this truck for the first time. I didn't like the lack of protection on the underside before I got my skid plates.

Quick Reply: RCI Skid Plates...Installed