Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Cordless Drill

Old 07-17-2019, 07:21 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
Minor update. My saw will take the 2AH battery. How long it will cut would be another question. A question I can't answer as the blade retention bolt is so tight I can't get it off, and probably busted the spindle lock trying. Yes, I was turning it the right way.

Message out to Northern Tool waiting for a return authorization.

I hate when this happens.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
therifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputationtherifleman556 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
DeWalt stuff is cheaper because its not the same quality as Milwaukee...

That's just my opinion and experience, like everything else YMMV.
Could you elaborate on this some? I've used 20v Li-Ion Dewalt exclusively for the last 3 years and haven't had a lick of trouble. No busted parts or bad batteries. It's fantastic that all my power tools (Dewalt and Mac) use the same charger, and batteries. The only two tools I've got that need specific batteries are the 12v driver and 60v grinder; but they all use the same charger and the 60 volt battery works like a higher amp- hour battery on 20v tools. I work as a diesel mechanic and actually the Dewalt 20v 3/8" drive impact is by far my most used tool... Not power tool, tool period...

I agree, ymmv...

Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by therifleman556 View Post
Could you elaborate on this some? I've used 20v Li-Ion Dewalt exclusively for the last 3 years and haven't had a lick of trouble.

I agree, ymmv...
I'm sure we'd both agree individual quality perceptions are based upon our own actual experiences or those we've observed others have dealt with. I've yet to see a DeWalt tool that's been repaired last too much longer, no matter who does the repair including their own service centers. From that perspective I've come to believe they're just not tools designed to undergo repair which allows them to be priced and sold "cheaper" than "better" brands--for me that would be Milwaukee.

Because I own Milwaukee almost exclusively for both my professional and DIY tool needs and I've had no issues doing my own repairs and extending the life of the tool I conclude they're built better than DeWalt. I also fully realize some have nothing but great experiences with any one brand but I rarely see anyone with the claim "Milwaukee is junk........"--can't say the same for DeWalt and who knows how many other lesser known brand names.

While not scientific or anything valid I watch This Old House and notice while DeWalt stuff is used occasionally most every heavy job shows a Milwaukee tool in use. I suspect DeWalt throws tools at the show and they're used as appreciation for some funding or other freebies passed on to get that familiar look on the screen. Joe and Joan homeowner see a brightly colored tool on TV, see the same thing in the "local home center" and believe it has to be a quality tool. I'm not as much paranoid as overly skeptical and suspicious.

Joe or Joan Homeowner could own any tool for 20 years and it never fail---all 20 hours it'll be used in those years. Because I work around heavy truck mechanics I rarely see any DeWalt tools in their arsenals unless they're relatively new to the trade. Eventually they all migrate to other brands like the ubiquitous Snap On etc. Its also interesting how the individual franchised Snap On etc dealers will offer Milwaukee etc but almost never DeWalt. At least I've never seen any tool truck selling that brand.

So yeah I'm personally biased against DeWalt and will forever think Milwaukee is better. My mileage does vary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.