Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Cordless Drill

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:21 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Minor update. My saw will take the 2AH battery. How long it will cut would be another question. A question I can't answer as the blade retention bolt is so tight I can't get it off, and probably busted the spindle lock trying. Yes, I was turning it the right way.

Message out to Northern Tool waiting for a return authorization.

I hate when this happens.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
DeWalt stuff is cheaper because its not the same quality as Milwaukee...

That's just my opinion and experience, like everything else YMMV.
Could you elaborate on this some? I've used 20v Li-Ion Dewalt exclusively for the last 3 years and haven't had a lick of trouble. No busted parts or bad batteries. It's fantastic that all my power tools (Dewalt and Mac) use the same charger, and batteries. The only two tools I've got that need specific batteries are the 12v driver and 60v grinder; but they all use the same charger and the 60 volt battery works like a higher amp- hour battery on 20v tools. I work as a diesel mechanic and actually the Dewalt 20v 3/8" drive impact is by far my most used tool... Not power tool, tool period...

I agree, ymmv...

Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by therifleman556
Could you elaborate on this some? I've used 20v Li-Ion Dewalt exclusively for the last 3 years and haven't had a lick of trouble.

I agree, ymmv...
I'm sure we'd both agree individual quality perceptions are based upon our own actual experiences or those we've observed others have dealt with. I've yet to see a DeWalt tool that's been repaired last too much longer, no matter who does the repair including their own service centers. From that perspective I've come to believe they're just not tools designed to undergo repair which allows them to be priced and sold "cheaper" than "better" brands--for me that would be Milwaukee.

Because I own Milwaukee almost exclusively for both my professional and DIY tool needs and I've had no issues doing my own repairs and extending the life of the tool I conclude they're built better than DeWalt. I also fully realize some have nothing but great experiences with any one brand but I rarely see anyone with the claim "Milwaukee is junk........"--can't say the same for DeWalt and who knows how many other lesser known brand names.

While not scientific or anything valid I watch This Old House and notice while DeWalt stuff is used occasionally most every heavy job shows a Milwaukee tool in use. I suspect DeWalt throws tools at the show and they're used as appreciation for some funding or other freebies passed on to get that familiar look on the screen. Joe and Joan homeowner see a brightly colored tool on TV, see the same thing in the "local home center" and believe it has to be a quality tool. I'm not as much paranoid as overly skeptical and suspicious.

Joe or Joan Homeowner could own any tool for 20 years and it never fail---all 20 hours it'll be used in those years. Because I work around heavy truck mechanics I rarely see any DeWalt tools in their arsenals unless they're relatively new to the trade. Eventually they all migrate to other brands like the ubiquitous Snap On etc. Its also interesting how the individual franchised Snap On etc dealers will offer Milwaukee etc but almost never DeWalt. At least I've never seen any tool truck selling that brand.

So yeah I'm personally biased against DeWalt and will forever think Milwaukee is better. My mileage does vary.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I suspect that since Stanley Black & Decker are moving a portion of their tool manufacturing back on shore (likely for Craftsman survival), DeWalt may become a more recognizable American brand to those who pay attention to who builds what tool.

I will say this, for a hobbiest or homeowner, Milwaukee or even DeWalt are overkill. My 19.2v Craftsman is nearly 18 years old. I've had to buy two new batteries and a new charger for the tool kit but they still function great for homeowner duties. There's no way that these tools are contractor grade but, I am a busier than average DIY'er and now that my daughter owns her own home, i help there as well. No issues and no reason to spend hundreds of $$$ on just one tool.

OK so let me walk this back a little. I spoke in ignorance. First off, I never, ever, ever shop at Home Depot because in my experience their customer service sucks tail end and their military discount is hard to use as compared to Lowe's. I shop only at Lowe's and they do not carry Milwaukee so my ignorance should be noted.

HD does sell Milwaukee for a comparable price to DeWalt at Lowes. However, what I've learned her form you all is that you must be careful when purchasing Milwaukee tools so th at you get the proper amp/h that you need. Perhaps this all holds true with them all, IDK.

So, for the money, if one were looking at Dewalt, they should also consider Milwaukee.

Looking at the Porter Cable 8 piece 20v tool kit, I can get that at Lowe's for $499.00 minus my 10% military discount. The same or similar Milwaukee at HD is $699.00 minus my 10% if it even applies. HD does play these games where as Lowe's does not.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tseekins
HD does sell Milwaukee for a comparable price to DeWalt at Lowes. However, what I've learned her form you all is that you must be careful when purchasing Milwaukee tools so th at you get the proper amp/h that you need. Perhaps this all holds true with them all, IDK.

Looking at the Porter Cable 8 piece 20v tool kit, I can get that at Lowe's for $499.00 minus my 10% military discount. The same or similar Milwaukee at HD is $699.00 minus my 10% if it even applies. HD does play these games where as Lowe's does not.
Well going back in time a bit the first Milwaukee M12 tool I bought was through eBay---not sure if it was a gently used M12 screwdriver 2401 complete with battery & charger. It was to replace the previous generation of 12 and 18 volt NiCad which were physically twice as large. Once I used the M12 driver a short time I began replacing all my cordless tools and added quite a few new drivers and drills of the same type. My battery and charger collection has grown along with the tools but luckily the entire Milwaukee line is so long lived if I don't lose something it'll last a good 8+ years without worry.

I have at least 10 different types of tools, most of those with double and triple redundancy---I rely on them that much. Plus on occasion I find deals on bare to good to pass up. Recently scored two Milwaukee 2462-20 hex drive impact guns for just under $39 each--free shipping. All through Amazon.

My main point here is saying once you're convinced any one brand is your choice fining fantastic buys online is the only way to go. You're not stuck buying these kits with tools you might not ever use, prices for bare tools is significantly lower without special discounts, promotions or other jumping-through-hoops machinations.

FWIW when i'm shopping for tools I'll find a brand and model number I want then go about finding it at the lowest cost. Some shop according to price alone which is okay but being a tool snob of sorts I prefer the better quality regardless how often it will be used. Nothing more frustrating than grabbing a go-to tool only to learn its failed since its last use.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Willy Sunshine
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree to buy into one system or type of batteries if possible. I am a fan of Milwaukee 18 and 12 volt tools. The work great. I have an 18 volt 1/2” hammer drill that i was using to repair a dock. Of course it fell into the water and stuck in the muck bottom. I rinsed it out and then let it dry for a couple weeks. It has worked great since!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:57 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Its been a while since we've discussed cordless power tools so I thought I'd once again bang the drum for Milwaukee.

I've wanted to update my cordless impact, have and well used a Milwaukee 14.4 1/2" for quite a while. Its good for its era but I was being gently seduced by glowing reports of the newer M12 & M18 versions in various configurations. I've acquired a few of the M12 tools: 3/8" right angle ratchet/impact drivers 3/8" square drive and 1/4" hex drive pistol grips for different tasks work and home related---they've all performed beyond my expectations.

Finally pulled the trigger on an M18 2754-20 3/8" square drive w/friction ring retainer--found a decent deal through eBay including a protective boot and hex drive adapter for $159 shipped. Also ordered a cheap 3/8" x 7/8" deep well 6 point for lug nut removal. After assuring my lugs were torqued'd to 140 ft/lbs and using a freshly charged battery this little thing pulls them off darn near as quickly and effortlessly as my venerable Snap On 1/2" air impact. When the removal trigger is pulled there's barely any hesitation or hammering before the lug begins spinning off--wow.

My next test will be seeing if I can remove and reinstall all 8 lugs with just one battery. When it comes to reinstalling this tool will be used only to run the lugs down before using a torque wrench to obtain the correct ft/lbs. I might also use a 3/8 "> 1/2" adapter to utilize a torque stick bought for lug nuts.

BTW my decision to buy this tool was largely influenced by several YouTube videos but this one chipped it in for me:

So as an acknowledged Milwaukee fanboi I'm not surprised I'm not disappointed in this small but powerful impact driver!

Old 03-05-2020, 01:06 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've used Milwaukee tools my entire life. Began migrating to cordless M18 a few years back and don't regret a thing.
Milwaukee has never let me down so they have my vote!

Old 03-06-2020, 04:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ckal704
I've used Milwaukee tools my entire life. Began migrating to cordless M18 a few years back and don't regret a thing.
Milwaukee has never let me down so they have my vote!
Oh yeah---seems the DeWalt fans are quite silent huh?

I really really wish I knew how I developed such a dislike of that brand but its undeniable. Might even turn out Milwaukee is made by the same people in the same factories as DeWalt---boy I'd have some 'splaining to do then right?

Old 03-06-2020, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Mrs. Claus got me an eight piece Porter Cable 20v cordless kit for Christmas. I now have three batteries, 2 chargers and 9 cordless pieces in all. Very happy with these tools as a hobbiest and around the house maintenance. Not sure how long they'd hold up in a commercial environment.

I'm going to add the heavier duty drill to the mix and that will add another battery or two and another charger.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm going to add the heavier duty drill to the mix and that will add another battery or two and another charger.
While you may never need or use a hammer/drill look into one of those in the PC brand---they tend to be more robust over a typical drill only tool. In a cordless tool I'd never use one and prefer the smaller lighter drill only Milwaukee M12 tools--actually use one with a wire wheel to remove surface rust and aluminum corrosion from the big trucks I work on. In that case the variable speed and reversible feature make it a great grinder. So far I've used one in this capacity for almost 6 years now, still running strong.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:32 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Over the past few days, I have been pouring concrete forms for installing 'channel drains' and sing my cordless drill to screws to the stakes to the forms but in the process my recently acquired M12 Milwaukee cordless drill, fell into the concrete form, rather than recycling I hosed it off, sprayed with electrical cleaner and set overnight next to the firewood stove and used the following day. I did mention I am not a user-friendly tool person? I followed up with One Touch Tire Care and pleased with results. I also use the 'tire care' for rejuvenating engine compartment, liberally spray engine compartment then I take a rag and haphazardly dry, or let stand and I have found it maintains the quality of the rubber, to include various belts but leaves the engine compartment like it has been reconditioned?