1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2004 navigator engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 03:54 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
2004 navigator engine swap

I have gotten myself into yet another project should prob not gotten myself into. I bought an 04 5.4 dohc Navi for a DD for myself. It had a failed engine in it and a low mileage unit with the deal. The previous owner gave up on getting the engine installed I guess. Has anyone here done an engine swap just coming out the top? I know intake is coming off and all accs . I have read and most advise body pulled but I do not have access to a lift at home.
any advise from previous experiences would be awesome.
Thanks!!!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Crickets? Nothing? Lol guess I'll post some engine swap experiences. Worked on it some last night. Long story short,one head off ,other almost off.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:47 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Headless 5.4 ready to come out.
Heads removed.Removed heads from locked up old engine. Was full of water from sitting open with no intake or valve cover. I was able to get it freed up to get torque converter nuts removed lukily. It's actually not even rusty inside so I'm a bit perplexed. I simply smacked the pistons with a deadblow hammer. I plan to use this for a mustang project down the line..

Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Out with the old..
Resting for a bit till it gets a Sullivan intake and a hair dryer...I'm very pleased to see the bores not ruined completely. We may have actually gotten lucky.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM
fordman67
Hotshot

Replacement 120k good (hopefully) engine. I'm going to strip off all the covers to check,reseal. Going to replace exh manifold gaskets and studs as ins also because this thing is miserable to do that later it looks like.
hopefully today I get it the rest torn down..

Old 02-19-2018, 10:30 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, I don't think there is much experience here tearing down a 5.4L. Farthest I've been is the spark plugs and injectors, but I will certainly be watching you and taking notes!

So is the 'new' power plant the '04 and the Navi is '05? I didn't think there were a lot of differences in the '03+ 5.4s, but the first thing I noticed is that my Expedition has the oil fill on the passenger side.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dclack
Yeah, I don't think there is much experience here tearing down a 5.4L. Farthest I've been is the spark plugs and injectors, but I will certainly be watching you and taking notes!

So is the 'new' power plant the '04 and the Navi is '05? I didn't think there were a lot of differences in the '03+ 5.4s, but the first thing I noticed is that my Expedition has the oil fill on the passenger side.

Oops Darren. It should both have read 04. I am not sure if 05 would be different. The "new" engine is the same unit. Hopefully tonight I will pull TC and see how bad the guides are. It's going to get a complete kit replaced tho. I need this project done so I can get back on the camper puller lol.
I am a bit intrigued to attempt that with this tho I know it won't be any where the same level.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would consider slapping a new timing kit on it before mounting it. At least chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets. Also phasers and VCT solenoids if budget allows or if you're willing to spend the cash. All those are easy when it's out, but a pain in the *** when it's in the truck. Good call on doing the exhaust gaskets and studs, those are a royal PITA when it's in the truck....

Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
fordman67
Hotshot

I forgot, pulled pan and VC yesterday. Found timing chain guide material in the pan and pick up. New timing component kit on the way!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Skauber
I would consider slapping a new timing kit on it before mounting it. At least chains, guides, tensioners and sprockets. Also phasers and VCT solenoids if budget allows or if you're willing to spend the cash. All those are easy when it's out, but a pain in the *** when it's in the truck. Good call on doing the exhaust gaskets and studs, those are a royal PITA when it's in the truck....
Kit is a deffinite and yea manifold studs,gaskets as well. I'm doing this just one time I hope.
Lukily no phasers in this ol' school unit. That's prime example why I would rather own this than some others.
​​​

Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, it's the 4v, scrolled through too quickly to notice the picture. Then you don't need to worry about the VCT system. I'm not all too familiar with the weaknesses on these engines, apart from the plastic chain guides which will be sorted it seems

Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I didn't even notice the 4v. Looks like the '99-'04 Expeditions/Navigators mostly got the 2v SOHC, while some Navi's got the 4v DOHC (Ford Modular Engine). That's why it looks different than what I'm used to seeing.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
I'm not sure how much of any assistance I will be, but I will tell you that in '05 is when the Expedition/Navigator went to the 5.4L 3-valve engines (Navigator version calls for 91 octane fuel).

Having said that, yes it IS possible to remove a 5.4L 2-valve engine with the body on. Would I personally do it? HELL NO!!!! This is coming from a Ford dealer tech who has R & R'd MANY 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines of varying applications from E-Series, F-150s and Super Duty trucks. Yes, Expeditions and Navigators too. Kudos to you for being able to remove those bulky 4-valve cylinder heads with the body bolted to the chassis (along with those royal PITA rear heat heater hoses on the passenger side of the engine compartment).

This may not help now, but if you're planning on installing your replacement engine, you could possibly do a "partial" body lift. That extra inch, or two inches of the body being separated from the frame could potentially make it a lot less painful going back in. It's always easier to disassemble things than it is to re-assemble.

BTW.... what's that 4R100 transmission in the background from? Just curious. That bellhousing bolt pattern looks like it was behind a 7.3L diesel, or maybe even a 7.5L (460) gasser V8

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67

I forgot, pulled pan and VC yesterday. Found timing chain guide material in the pan and pick up. New timing component kit on the way!!!
Is this from the replacement engine? If so, I would be pulling it apart even more and going over it with a fine toothed comb while addressing any issues discovered BEFORE installing. This is definitely a job I wouldn't want to be doing twice!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I'm not sure how much of any assistance I will be, but I will tell you that in '05 is when the Expedition/Navigator went to the 5.4L 3-valve engines (Navigator version calls for 91 octane fuel).

Having said that, yes it IS possible to remove a 5.4L 2-valve engine with the body on. Would I personally do it? HELL NO!!!! This is coming from a Ford dealer tech who has R & R'd MANY 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines of varying applications from E-Series, F-150s and Super Duty trucks. Yes, Expeditions and Navigators too. Kudos to you for being able to remove those bulky 4-valve cylinder heads with the body bolted to the chassis (along with those royal PITA rear heat heater hoses on the passenger side of the engine compartment).

This may not help now, but if you're planning on installing your replacement engine, you could possibly do a "partial" body lift. That extra inch, or two inches of the body being separated from the frame could potentially make it a lot less painful going back in. It's always easier to disassemble things than it is to re-assemble.

BTW.... what's that 4R100 transmission in the background from? Just curious. That bellhousing bolt pattern looks like it was behind a 7.3L diesel, or maybe even a 7.5L (460) gasser V8
I'm not looking forward to reassembly. Yes I am pulling all covers etc apart. This isn't the first 4v modmotor I have been involved with . I previously built 2 cobra motors. I used to work at a dealership as a tech for 8 years. The recession ran me to more regular pay work.
thats an e4od for a 7.3 powerstroke. I may be a powerstroke addict also. Pretty much anything blue oval that is.
Pics of timing components to follow when I get home from work..

91 octane eh? I will look at the dash and see if it specifies. I honestly don't know either way but thank you for pointing that out. I want this to live a long life!!

Quick Reply: 2004 navigator engine swap