Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 PM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love that the 8 year old is getting his hands dirty at an early age. That's fun that lasts a lifetime. I like the build, checked out the website too. Keep the pictures coming!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthelight88
Love that the 8 year old is getting his hands dirty at an early age. That's fun that lasts a lifetime. I like the build, checked out the website too. Keep the pictures coming!
Thanks! I got started pretty much in the womb. My mom used to help my dad when he painted cars for side income, she would tape off everything so he could prep and spray. Trying to instill the hobby and passion into both my son's. They both love the vehicles I've built, and argue over who gets which one when it's time to start driving. haha. My 9yo is adamant on getting a mustang when he's able to drive, to which I've made the offer of buying him one soon, but it's all dependent on his desire to continue helping me and learning, and maintaining himself in school.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:25 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,523 Likes on 983 Posts
Originally Posted by skyhawc
Yea... Most around here tend run around a 35-37 with 4.5" lift. I may just order a new set of 35s for my 84 CJ7 that I've put a great deal of work into lately, and pull the 35's off it for the 78.
i think 35's would look perfect on there with about 2" lift.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:11 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Sold the 77 chop top that I robbed the 460 from. Ended up getting this “new” (as was said to me) grill shell... dent free, a few scuffs from poor handling...

Old 02-03-2018, 04:05 PM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
That's awesome, those are hard to find dent free and new out of a catalog they're like $700. I looked long and hard and finally found a craigslist unit that was a little dull but otherwise in great condition and that still ran me like $150

Old 02-03-2018, 04:18 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by burnthelight88
That's awesome, those are hard to find dent free and new out of a catalog they're like $700. I looked long and hard and finally found a craigslist unit that was a little dull but otherwise in great condition and that still ran me like $150
yea! I basically got it for $200 off sale price for the 77 lwb chop top project i sold.

just picked this up today. D9VE block, C9VE-A heads, edelbrock performer intake & carb. Unknown internals but was told it ran. Bought it just to snag the Rear sump pan, L&L swap mounts & intake for my 460.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:04 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Heads look fairly clean. When I took mine off, oh man there was a huge mess of oil gunk. Scraper, picks, a shop-vac, and about an hour to clean it out. I'll get to a rebuild or swap eventually...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Any tips on removing broken Door Jamb switches from the wiring plug? the switches on my truck look like they were hammered in, to prevent them from turning on when doors left open... I have new switches, but when I pulled the driver's side out the switch broke off from the plug. So I need to get the switch's Male plug out of the wiring side female plug.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:00 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Nothing that would be worth the time or effort that I can think of. I'm sure a new wiring pigtail can be had super cheap from a pick and pull or fairly cheap from ebay or a parts catalog.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Pulled the parts off the 2nd 460 that I needed & sold it with to my buddy. I started teardown of my 460, since it sat for 6yrs without oil, and I have 0 documentation from the rebuild, I want to go through it...

Looking at getting an edelbrock performer plus cam to match the intake, bought a used Holley 750, vac. secondaries, elec choke. Will rebuild the Holley, and plan to have motor ready to swap in come warmer weather...

Aside from bodywork dust, inside of motor is very clean, confirming rebuild.
Holley 80508

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Well finally got a chance to get more done on the 460 teardown. It's almost a short block now, just need to pull pass. cylinder head... Motor has clearly been ran, but due to condition of cylinder walls (so far) and cleanliness of the lifter valley, inside the heads, I'm not thinking it was ran much... Still going to run a cylinder bore gauge down each cylinder. Once heads are both off, I'm pulling cam and lifters, then going to check clearances on the bearings. If I find anything that doesn't look 100% then i'll send block off to machine shop for cleaning and checks. then rebuild.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Nice truck! My friend's older brother had one just like that when I was a kid. Those running boards look a lot better off of the truck!

Some chrome wagon wheels would look killer on that rig, then buff out the paint...

Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,523 Likes on 983 Posts
DIGGING THE BUILD. Any plans for hard part changes while the 460 is apart? Be tempting to slap some heads and a nice came in there to wake it up!

Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by meangreen92
Nice truck! My friend's older brother had one just like that when I was a kid. Those running boards look a lot better off of the truck!

Some chrome wagon wheels would look killer on that rig, then buff out the paint...

Thanks! Unforunately due to rust, where truck was left sitting for 6yrs, in the humid South Western VA weather, the paint is too far gone to save. I'm going to be cutting out all the rot this spring, and welding in new panels. Will get repainted at some point in the next 2yrs to the factory Raven Black.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
DIGGING THE BUILD. Any plans for hard part changes while the 460 is apart? Be tempting to slap some heads and a nice came in there to wake it up!

Thanks! It's got decent heads with the D3VEs, I'm likely going to do some mild porting on the exhaust side for better flow. As for cam, I'm just going to do a mild cam. Since I have the Edelebrock Performer intake, will likely match it with their cam & a straight up roller timing set. Also planning on running L&L's 3/4 length headers, as I really don't care for Fenderwell exits, nor want to worry about too little lift, and hitting full length headers on suspension. Then for time being top off the intake w/ a Holley 750 I bought to rebuild. Long term plans are calling for an EFI setup like Holley Sniper, FiTech, etc...

Quick Reply: My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB