Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by thor363
Anyone here hooking up their TT to their home septic bed and if so how are you doing it? Might be buying a different home a little more remote from here, so looking to see if we can use the TT as a guest home from time to time. Wooded lot and really nice views there, so would be nice not to have to run to a local dump station from time to time.

Install an RV dump on your home septic system - RV Tip of the Day

Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone here hooking up their TT to their home septic bed and if so how are you doing it? Might be buying a different home a little more remote from here, so looking to see if we can use the TT as a guest home from time to time. Wooded lot and really nice views there, so would be nice not to have to run to a local dump station from time to time.
I use one of these

Amazon Amazon

Best money I've spent. No more searching for a place to dump in October. Just run a hose into the toilet.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I run mine into the clean out right behind the house. Hits the tank from there and then the distribution box to the leech field. Only issue is the distance from drive to clean out when it’s wet. When dry I can swing the unit in parallel to the house, when it’s wet it take much more hose.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:18 PM
gncw
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inthedirt
I have a Jayco Baja off-road model with the platform. Took my awning off because I don't like how they setup and its just easier for me to use my EZ-UP. We often camp with other family, so its not uncommon for us to have a gaggle of kids who are "bored" once the sun goes down. I don't like kids hanging out inside, so I'm planning on re-purposing a projector screen to mount in place of the awning. I have a projector attachment that piggybacks onto my phone to play downloaded movies onto. It has a built-in battery, but once drained, will start to consume the phone's battery as a backup. To prevent this, I just bring along a separate 5000ma battery pack or use the 12v aux on our jumper pack. That thing is always charged and goes on every trip. This last summer's project was upgrading the factory stereo with Bluetooth and a 2nd set of outdoor speakers. The projector mod and upgraded speakers will go great together. Kids can watch a movie on a 108in screen while the adults can shoot the s**t around the campfire. Already planning our first trip in May for my birthday.....can't wait!

Here's our set up for outdoor movie projecting. We bought a piece of thick cloth (about 5' x 6') at walmart, some auto body suction cups from Harbor Freight and connected the two with binder clips. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but it was cheap and easy. Attaches and detaches in a minute. We project through an AC powered projector, which we already had.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 PM
CarterKraft
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Going into a septic tank system I would use a maceration pump so you aren't adding water . RV tank dumping can't be any worse than a garden tub in the sticks and bricks.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,168 Likes on 568 Posts
Slide toppers came today. Now to put holes in the camper.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:28 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
Better you than me, i had the dealer do mine.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dug up my sewer line and added a T to it and use it. it looks like a clean out with a screw cap on top like in some campgrounds

Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone ever added an awning support? Our TT has a 21’ awning and I’d like to add one but honestly don’t know where to start as far as finding a wall stud through metal. Will a regular stud finder word on the tin walls?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 955 Likes on 690 Posts
These guys make great ‘how-to’s’.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by copsey
Anyone ever added an awning support? Our TT has a 21’ awning and I’d like to add one but honestly don’t know where to start as far as finding a wall stud through metal. Will a regular stud finder word on the tin walls?
Yeah, but it wasn't really fair because I have a full CAD drawing of the framing of the trailer, plus engineer verification that there was wood there for this purpose.

Stud finder probably won't work accurately on the aluminum. But, find your rough midpoint on the awning and take the studfinder in to the wall inside. It can still kinda be thrown off some, but it should work better in there.

Another option is if it's a pretty common trailer, google for pictures of that year/make/model and see if you can find pictures of a trailer with it already installed, to give you an idea where to look. Or, if the manufacturer is still in business, call them up and ask for dimensions of where to drill for it.

I highly recommend getting the center tension rafter with the optional ground support. Adds a lot of stability to the awning, and the best part is you don't have to use it if you don't want. It stays retracted up inside the rafter otherwise.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
If you have a fiberglass trailer a good cold morning with dew will often show an outline of the camper frame on the outside of the trailer.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Exclamation KIDDE Fire Extinguisher Recall

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

If you have a fire extinguisher in your RV/TT/Camper it's probably a KIDDE.

Check out the recall, according to a friend of mine, don't rely on the online web service to verify, CALL them.

Last edited by mecdac; 02-03-2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Bhead
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on cooling while towing

Would appreciate a little advice. I have on 05 6.0L Excursion and pull a 30ft TT with it. I have replaced the coolant system, and have replaced the EGR and oil cooler. However, I am not satisfied with the temps hit while towing across West TX and the desert mountains. Anyone have any recommendations on how to reduce oil and coolant temperature further while towing?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhead
Would appreciate a little advice. I have on 05 6.0L Excursion and pull a 30ft TT with it. I have replaced the coolant system, and have replaced the EGR and oil cooler. However, I am not satisfied with the temps hit while towing across West TX and the desert mountains. Anyone have any recommendations on how to reduce oil and coolant temperature further while towing?
What sort of EGT temps are you running while towing? Probably the number one way to smoke your coolant system is to run high EGT for long periods of time. Make sure your degas cap is up to par (I replace mine probably once a year just in case). It’s cheap insurance. From there, you can look into an aftermarket radiator. I’ve found that running the AC also cranks ECT and EOT.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!