1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

THE VAN BUILD BEGINS

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Trump tarriff

Good then maybe Americans can finally compete in the solar panel market. Costs a few bucks but it'll lead to higher quality and more Americans having good jobs.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annaleigh
You might want to think about buying your solar equipment now even if you are not going to install it now because if Trump adds tariffs to solar panels from outside US, the price may double.

Prospect of Trump tariff casts pall over U.S. solar industry
Prospect of Trump tariff casts pall over U.S. solar industry | Reuters

We have the same hightop and the highest point on the roof is that area towards the front but I don't know if the placement would make that much difference on removing heat. Having it over the bed i think you would feel the air flow much better. I don't know if you have removed it to take a look or not, but that drop down area over the rear section by the doors, at least on my van, covers an unfinished area of the hightop and mine had no insulation at all in it.

I really like your idea of leaving the original interior in the van. I have removed parts of mine just to check for insulation and reinstalled it. I believe once I get my plan together I will remove the original interior, insulate better, and then reinstall it.

I have read that one needs to be careful how they insulate and what materials you use because of condensation. That is partly why i ask how much time you have spent in it.. Of course though it hasn't gotten really cold yet and that is when the problem arises. Any thoughts on this topic?
What about heating plans?
If I understand correctly (and this has to do with condensation again), propane heat will cause condensation where a small wood burner will help out by drying the air. A little hard to stealth camp with a wood burner though!

I love the oven stove you have and you cant bet the deal. I thought about a microwave but it would just require more solar then I need so I think an oven/stove like you have would be great. Your model is expensive though if you had to bu one.
What do you think about this one?
Stansport 221 Stainless Steel Outdoor Stove And Oven New | eBay

How did you fasten your cabinet? did you fasten it to the ceiling in any way or just the walls and floor?

I think I ask this before, how was the seat base mounted for the set that you removed? I was looking at my seat bases and believe they mounted the seat bases and then installed the plywood over them. That means to remove mine, I would have to either remove the plywood or cut the plywood around the base to remove it.

i have lots more questions for you but Ill stop here for now! Keep the pics and progress updates coming..

My seats are mounted on top of the plywood. As for the stove/oven I am taking it out. Figure I'll sell the stove for 75 bucks or so. I even have the range hood for it too. Going with a fridge there and more storage room. I use a small propane grill most of the time anyways. As for insulation. So far every panel I've had out has been insulated good. The rear top shelf I opened up better for storage too.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
I am going to go ahead and ask another question anyway.. What are your plans for solar and where will you mount your panels? I know the system is determined by each persons needs.
Thinking... disadvantage to roof mounted is that you must be parked in the sun for it to work! Disadvantage to portable is it takes up valuable space inside then not in use.
Perhaps roof mounted panels that can be easily unlocked from the roof rack and placed in remote locations? Then you need to keep in mind the great voltage drop with DC voltage which would require the extension cable to be sized according to its length.
I'm figuring I'll be putting the solar on the very rear of the roof maybe. Not positive yet. Def gonna be the next big project on it. Gotta get the front lift installed. I did the rear today. Had to to clear the tires. This will also help me on my crazy adventures in places people usually don't drive. It's crazy the places i have put this 2wd beast in and got back out of.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
UPDATE : New wheels on her. 15x10's that are deep and dished out a good bit.So I needed a little more clearance. Which is something i wanted to do anyways. So today I got the rear lift installed. Should have front in a day or so. All depends on my back really.

New rims. Loving them.
Name:  yMxyxHu.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  732.1 KB
Name:  xM29oWx.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.78 MB

Rear lift done
Name:  YH0yNcr.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  806.3 KB

Old 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Looking great VanGuySteve.. I was just mentioned you in my last post!
I was thinking about the stove/oven and space myself. It is a really nice convenience to have but how often would a person really use it. Space is everything and it does take up space.

Once you figure out the solar panels let us know. I am trying to figure out where to bring the cables inside at and be sure not to have leaks. I think it would be an excellent idea to keep the electrical contained in one area to keep from having to run large cables.

Thanks for the updates!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
For sure. I agree 100%

Old 10-27-2017, 07:05 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts

Replaced the rear ceiling with pine, the moisture caused the masonite to sag, both cabinets run to the ceiling now.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM
VanGuySteve
Junior User
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Old 10-28-2017, 09:17 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
YEA Maples has it going on there like you do! I am going to have to get busy with mine. I thought I had a plan but then started thinking about installing a small wood heater and now I have to rethink my layout. It is designed as a marine stove for boats. That would ensure there is no condensation problem. You can also use wood, charcoal, lump coal, or compressed logs. So fuel is not a problem. It also requires very little clearance if you use that concrete tile board as a back with a piece of metal backsplash standing off the wall 1/2 inch

It has a 9"x14 1/2" cook top you can put on top of it. So it would double as heater and stove. In warm weather you can install a propane or alcohol insert.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:52 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Good then maybe Americans can finally compete in the solar panel market. Costs a few bucks but it'll lead to higher quality and more Americans having good jobs.
I`m with you but, our corrupt government (NO MATTER WHAT PARTY YOU GET ON YOUR KNEES AND PRAY TO) will never give up their selfish and greedy payoffs from China and other countries. America is a just a economic prostitute for the rest of the world. As long as we are forced to buy "made in china"by our government, we are shooting ourselves in the foot and feeding the neo-communist takeover of the world.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by NICKSAN
I`m with you but, our corrupt government (NO MATTER WHAT PARTY YOU GET ON YOUR KNEES AND PRAY TO) will never give up their selfish and greedy payoffs from China and other countries. America is a just a economic prostitute for the rest of the world. As long as we are forced to buy "made in china"by our government, we are shooting ourselves in the foot and feeding the neo-communist takeover of the world.
The EPA extortion rates, I mean hazardous waste handling fees helped drive jobs out, if your company uses anything they deem as hazardous, you must pay them, they don't monitor it, nor do they clean it up if it spills, they just want money to allow you to use it.
Be careful with wood heaters, some regions are on the verge of making the burning of wood illegal.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Lets just throw in a couple of twists on the buy American solar panels.
Two Solar Companies Got Big Subsidies From Obama. Now They Want Protective Tariffs From Trump.
A bankrupt Chinese-owned taxpayer-subsidized company that's asking for protection against Chinese imports.
-
SOLAR
The 'Buy America' company that sourced from abroad.
A detailed look at Suniva's bankruptcy records reveals that almost all of the $38.4 million that it owes commercial creditors is to foreign companies or U.S. subsidiaries of foreign companies. While the documents don't say what Suniva purchased, they raise questions about how the company incurred such large foreign debts while also complying with its claim of 80 percent sourcing from American shores.
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060054585/

-
I should probably start a thread about where to mount a propane tank or is wood safer then propane so we don't hijack Vanguysteve's thread. Though I am interested in how Vanguysteve mounted his propane tank.

As to wood burning. The little stove I posted about burns wood, coal, or charcoal. The new EPA rules do not cover coal or charcoal stoves but that does not mean that some municipalities cant or wont pass laws. There are smokeless charcoals out now but I have never tried them.

From research I have been doing it may not be legal to have propane tanks mounted on the rear of our vans or inside them even in enclosed vented boxes. I had originally planned on using an extended rear bumper my father had built for his van years ago. It is quite heavy and mounts to the frame rails and has 1/4" thick flat plate steel panels that swing off to the side to open the doors. They are mounted on top of yet another 1/4" plate that makes the floor to step up on to access the rear of the van. The original bumper mounted to the rear of it and it sticks out about 2'. He carried 2 propane tnaks, generator, gas, and water can on it.

I think common sense also plays a roll unlike this couple was driving down the road with a gas grille in the back of their van. The tank was left on and one of the burners must have been turned on when they loaded it. A woman in the van lit a cigarette and they blew up!
I am surprised they survived after seeing the damage.
Florida couple transporting grill injured after SUV explodes when woman lights cigarette | Fox News

Old 10-30-2017, 03:15 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Pellet stoves, pellets are made from scrap lumber and/or saw dust, interesting twist on recycling, but all I've seen are for homes.
Now propane tanks, thats what I've been trying to find, seeing as storage space is limited, I want a short tank, they aren't available everywhere, and cost twice what the 30 pound tank does that can be acquired all over town, making no sense at all.
I once worked remodeling a house once where the pilot on the furnace had to be lit every morning we arrived at work, I avoided it, refused to be the one to ride it to the moon, a week working there, a gas crew was sent out, seems the previous owners, complete and utter fools that they were, the ran a line outside to their grill, had to be a home owner modification, because no certified contractor would use standard galvanized water pipe for gas, much less lay it ground level, there was very little metal left. The location of that line, it was on a T on the exterior wall, coming from the furnace, yep, the leak was 5 feet from the pilot/furnace, just outside, there was a grungy sliding door leading to the patio, god was watching over us.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Well Maples, I did a bit more research and came across cities and counties that ban wood and coal burning during bad air days. Since our air is bad anyway, is there really a good air day? There are some exemptions such as being your only source of heating or poverty but you have to apply for the permit $$$?
Other cities say no more solid fuel stoves in new houses.

So I guess that leaves propane being the only alternative heating unless you wanted to use something like the Planar or Espar which comes in diesel and gasoline. Not sure I would want a gasoline heater and diesel would require carrying fuel cans.
The non vented propane heaters seem to cause condensation problems while a vented heater like the Propex does not. The propex can be bought and installed for around the same price as some of the wood stoves. The Tiny Tot I mentioned is under $400 but then you need the venting which throws the price up to about he price of the Propex heater.
That leaves you with where and how to safely and legally install the tank.
Also using something like the Propex requires sizing the house batteries and solar panels to fit each persons needs.
I will re check but I believe what I came up with was 10hrs continuous run with the Propex on a 100amp hr house battery. The run time would also depend on your insulation and temperature setting. It uses about 1/2lb of propane per hour.

I guess I will figure out how to mount a 20lb tank and start with the Mr Buddy to see how it works. Later I may add the propex unless someone has a better idea?

As to the smaller tnaks, have you looked for places that refill the tanks?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:14 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
They don't carry them, it's an order item, near $60 for them where double their size for $34, seems insane, I'm not out enough to justify the cost, may be better off using the little cans, refill them from a tank at home.

Quick Reply: THE VAN BUILD BEGINS