2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck lean on driver side

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:01 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine also leans, I am not concerned with it, my F150 leaned, and my Class A leaned but the opposite direction. it has never affected drive-ability. My class A leaned about 1 1/2" to the right.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 364 Likes on 222 Posts
forgot to mention but the truck has to be on a pretty flat sureface when measuring. it doesnt really have to be level side to side or front to back but just flat. otherwise it articulates the springs and youll never get accurate measurment

Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I posted earlier about my ride being level, at least to my eye. After seeing the OP's bed mis-aligned I went out with a tape measure and found out the following.

The fender wells showed less than 1/8" difference, closer to 1/16" I bet.
Bed height was same difference.
Drivers side was the lower side.

Bed to cab was equal as far as I could measure on both sides.
I think I would take your truck to the dealer again.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:07 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
i would fully expect 1/16-1/8" lower on the driver side, especially with full fuel tank. that little amount wouldnt even be noticable to the best eyes. op truck is far more than that however. its highly noticable suggesting something is a miss

Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JBob2
This is one of the many reasons I will not be buying a new Super Duty. EXTREMELY POOR QUALITY CONTROL! Ridiculous for a $70-$80k truck.
i hate to say it but some rams lean to the driver side and have bed misalignments also. i know this first hand. its just a matter of finding the root cause and fixing it. with ram a caster misadjustment can twist the suspension and pull one side of the truck down, not sure if this same thing can happen on fords. thuren even has a memo on his website regarding it

Old 08-20-2017, 03:10 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If I recall the TSB correctly, Ford's 'tolerance' for suspension lean was 1". If it was more than 1" you got a new spring. If it less less than 1" you got shims put under the low side springs.

The issue is the side to side weights are not in balance, combined with frame flex. If you think about it, the left side frame rail is biased with more weight due to the steering box/column, the brake master and the pedal assembly, the fuel lines and main wiring harness, the fuel tank and fuel conditioner module, the DEF tank, and of course the driver. You could spend a week trying to loosen and realign things, but the left lean will always return unless you do something different on the left side. Ideally the spring rate on the left side could be slightly heavier than on the right, but that would be a pain to manufacture and keep track of.

I added a 1.5" add-a-leaf to both rear springs to help support more load and sag less. In the front I have Icon 2.5" leveling coils woth OUO adjustable coil levelers beneath. I have the levelers set to push the front left corner of the truck up about 1/2 to 5/8" more than the right. Now, when measured on flat ground I am within 1/8" at the center of each fenderwell opening. Close enough for me.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:10 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by skanj0
If I recall the TSB correctly, Ford's 'tolerance' for suspension lean was 1". If it was more than 1" you got a new spring. If it less less than 1" you got shims put under the low side springs.

The issue is the side to side weights are not in balance, combined with frame flex. If you think about it, the left side frame rail is biased with more weight due to the steering box/column, the brake master and the pedal assembly, the fuel lines and main wiring harness, the fuel tank and fuel conditioner module, the DEF tank, and of course the driver. You could spend a week trying to loosen and realign things, but the left lean will always return unless you do something different on the left side. Ideally the spring rate on the left side could be slightly heavier than on the right, but that would be a pain to manufacture and keep track of.

I added a 1.5" add-a-leaf to both rear springs to help support more load and sag less. In the front I have Icon 2.5" leveling coils woth OUO adjustable coil levelers beneath. I have the levelers set to push the front left corner of the truck up about 1/2 to 5/8" more than the right. Now, when measured on flat ground I am within 1/8" at the center of each fenderwell opening. Close enough for me.
tsb for '17 or '07 ? every truck probly does lean a small amount, 1/8" at most would be my guess, assuming nothing is amiss but that small amount isnt noticable. the op truck is very noticable, clearly far more than 1/8"

about frame flex. with a full box frame there really isnt any flex unless you have the suspension articulated to its max

Old 08-20-2017, 08:14 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
tsb for '17 or '07 ? every truck probly does lean a small amount, 1/8" at most would be my guess, assuming nothing is amiss but that small amount isnt noticable. the op truck is very noticable, clearly far more than 1/8"

about frame flex. with a full box frame there really isnt any flex unless you have the suspension articulated to its max
You are correct that I was referencing the pre-2017 Super Duty. The boxed frame of the 17 should significantly reduce frame flex, leaving just the left to right weight imbalance. I would expect to see the lean more with diesel powered 4x4 Super Dutys due to the motor weight. The next time I am headed to a dealership I will bring a tape measure and check a few.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
if your near a big dealer where you could check 10 trucks or so. im sure alot of people would be interested in the results as would i

Old 08-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Daicaothu
Cross-Country
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by skanj0
You are correct that I was referencing the pre-2017 Super Duty. The boxed frame of the 17 should significantly reduce frame flex, leaving just the left to right weight imbalance. I would expect to see the lean more with diesel powered 4x4 Super Dutys due to the motor weight. The next time I am headed to a dealership I will bring a tape measure and check a few.

a friend of mine has the 2017 CCLB 4x4 6.7 plantinum and it is not lean to driver side at all.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Daicaothu
Cross-Country
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
if your near a big dealer where you could check 10 trucks or so. im sure alot of people would be interested in the results as would i
i brought it to dealer where I bought it and parked in front of their superduty in the parking lot and mine is lean to one side. And the service guy of Erinwood dealer still said that because of the fuel tank even at that time my tank is less than half full.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
did you happen to measure to fender wells and see how much its leaning ? that might convince the dealer somethings amiss

Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 PM
AJB-830
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I got my 2002 F250 it also leaned to the drivers side. Ford dealer measured it and it was more than in inch. So Ford dealer installed two new front springs and it fixed the problem. At that time dealer said there might have been a batch of bad springs that caused it. I had no issues getting dealer to replace springs under warranty. Al

Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 PM
das_16
Senior User
I know what your saying that's why I went with the OUO leveling kit to adjust the front end perfect level. It was 1/2 difference between driver to passager side in the front. Now it's leveled perfectly

Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM
cowdog86
Senior User
The dealer can adjust the ride height to level it out.

Quick Reply: Truck lean on driver side