Sponsored by: Moser

Headliner project

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Headliner project

Last Sunday, i pulled the headliner out of the yellow truck for the installation of the cab marker/clearance lights. I installed the lights, but haven't yet reinstalled the headliner, because I also ordered an XM antenna that I will mount on the roof. After 15 holes, what's one more, right?!?!

So then I had a thought-why not cover the headliner, and make it nice? So I decided that I'd try to cover it with the same fabric that I had the seat done with.

I went to the upholstery shop this afternoon, spoke with the owner, and he found the same bolt of fabric that he'd cut my seat from! So I took the headliner into the shop, and he cut me off a section of fabric. When I asked how much, he replied $20. I didn't have that much cash so I pulled out the credit card. He declined, and told me to bring the $20 sometime later. Small town...

After work today, I bought a couple spray cans of WeldWood contact cement. I had done a lot of "internet reading" this afternoon, and a couple guys said not to use the 77 for headliners, as it falls down. But the WeldWood was highly recommended. My local ACE didn't have the spray WeldWood, so I ended up at Lowe's again.

That's as far as I got today, but I hope to get the liner covered and reinstalled this weekend.

I also bought some brown spray paint (for plastic) to paint the XM antenna to match...

Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM
77&79F250
Received 3,405 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Here is a link I rcvd from a fellow FTE member on adhesive discussions. What adhesive do I use on vinyl? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Did you old one have the one lone screw in the middle? Get some 2" or 3" wide velcro and using that same good adhesive and run the velcro down the middle support bar.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eadliner+cheap

Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Fordworth
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
I installed the lights, but haven't yet reinstalled the headliner, because I also ordered an XM antenna that I will mount on the roof. After 15 holes, what's one more, right?!?!
Just some thoughts on mounting the antenna without making another hole. On my Kenworth I have always run the wire under one of the clearance lights and through the hole for the light wires. On my Highboy the antenna is just a few inches forward from the rear of the cab. I ran the wire down bihind the roof and under the window gasket then to the left corner of the window opening where the gasket is not very tight and was able to fish the wire through their into the cab. On my wife's 02 crew cab I ran the wire the wire under the third brake light and into the cab. From there it runs under the trim along the tops of the doors and down the a-pillar to underneath the dash.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I HATE drilling holes in my stuff........unless it is definitely something that I know will last and won't need to be replaced with a new fangled model that won't even be close enough to the original that the holes will work again when it quits working........gee...they never change styles/models on electronics.......LOL......I agree with Fordworth....try to utilize holes that are there.............

Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM
bulldogcountry1
Tuned
After having trouble with some vinyl on car door panels, I did a lot of research and found that Weldwood landau top and trim adhesive to be the most recommended for hot environments. It sucks that you can only get it in a gallon, though.

If you live in the SW, I wouldn't have much confidence in any can adhesive working very long. I used 3M 90 in another car and still had some failure.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
PBY....absolutely love those F350's your sportin'. Especially the 79. I got my hands on one about 5 years ago to use for parts on my 76. Got it home and realized it was a diamond in the rough. So I rebuilt the top end (had a short pushrod on #5 EXH valve) cleaned it up, and sold it. Really hated to sell it but I didnt have the room to keep it. Fortunately the guy that bought it lived a few blocks from me so I still see it driving around. That makes me happy.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:23 PM
D-rat
Elder User
Looking forward to the end result.

when I did mine, (to close up a sunroof hole), I used the plastic one from LMC truck. It fit terribly and needed substantial trimming. The nice part though is that I could rattlecan it any color, and I found a red rattle can in the clearance aisle at ACE for $1 that was a near perfect red color match to my interior so I sprayed away, and I was pretty happy with the result.

As for drilling holes, after you drill the first 18, it gets easier...lol I drilled a lot for the plate I used to cover the old sunroof hole.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Thanks, guys for all the suggestions on adhesives!

After work today, I'll go to JoAnn, and get some of their "2x Strength, High-Temp, Headliner Adhesive" spray. It seems well reviewed.

The copper truck does have a screw in the center of the headliner, but not the other trucks. The brown truck has the XLT package, so it has the padded vinyl with embellishments.

Thanks for the tip on the Velcro. If I end up covering the headliner in the copper truck, I'll do that.

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Here is a link I rcvd from a fellow FTE member on adhesive discussions. What adhesive do I use on vinyl? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Did you old one have the one lone screw in the middle? Get some 2" or 3" wide velcro and using that same good adhesive and run the velcro down the middle support bar.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eadliner+cheap

Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I sure wish I had given a little more thought to what the proper adhesive is for headliners. I stupidly used 3M trim adhesive on my headliner and it came down last summer. That stuff never really sets up, and heat re-liquefies it. I am now trying to get it off of the backside of my otherwise beautiful original vinyl headlining material, a huge challenge and total mess. I am determined to save it, but sometimes doubt that it can be done.

Thank you so much for exploring this topic so when I am finally ready to re-adhere my vinyl to the panel, I will know what to use.

David

Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Upon further study...

I went to JoAnn last night, and they no longer carry the 2x Super Headliner Adhesive.

Then I checked Michael's, and they don't have anything decent.

I've been to Lowe's, ACE, and Home Depot. They have the standard DAP WeldWood contact cement, but that apparently won't stand up to the heat of a headliner. It's also not good (apparently) for headliners, as they're upside-down.

I found various spray adhesives, and Lowe's has a DAP WeldWood temp-resistant, but it's not HHR rated (High Heat Resistance).

Multiple forums and web sites recommend DAP WeldWood Landau glue. That seems pretty good, but a gallon is gonna be over $50 by the time it's shipped.

I found another glue, and it looks pretty good. The ratings are good, and judging by the warning labels, it's gotta be good! It's also sold in quarts, and although designed for spray, can be brushed or rolled.

So dangerous it must be good!

I ordered a quart and will try it out. It'll be here sometime next week, so the headliner project just got pushed-back a week.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:11 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
I used weld wood contact cement,bought my nalgahide at Joe anns,turned out good

Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM
79 F-150 Stone
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I plan to put fabric on mine in the next week or so, I bought this stuff for a few bucks on Amazon, it got good reviews.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:37 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 79 F-150 Stone
I plan to put fabric on mine in the next week or so, I bought this stuff for a few bucks on Amazon, it got good reviews.
Please report back how this 77 works for you. I've read a few reviews that say it's not so good for headliners.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:10 AM
79 F-150 Stone
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
Please report back how this 77 works for you. I've read a few reviews that say it's not so good for headliners.
I will probably drop the overhead console and redo the hedliner early next week and will report back then.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 AM
bulldogcountry1
Tuned
Been using 77 for years...for light duty projects or for just a temp hold. I don't recommend it at all for something like this. I cannot stress enough that you need to use a professional grade product, or you will be dealing with a mess. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Quick Reply: Headliner project