6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 04:41 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it would be great for someone to summarize which H13 bulbs perform well, and really, led bulbs all around the vehicle. I've got led everywhere except headlights but I'm not happy with most of them. I lose a marker light bulb about once/month.

I've found that the sylvania led bulbs sold at auto parts stores are dim and worthless.

The wal mart brand are very bright but don't last.

The Philips brand for marker lights also appears too dim to my eyes.

A summary of preferred bulbs would be great in the tech folder. We could just look up what kind and how many to order and be done with it.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:24 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up taking the grill and headlights back out today and perfecting the wiring/the way it was tucked, etc.. I also noticed that my passenger side bulb was at the 3/9 position and that the driver's side was more at the 2/8 position. After trying to correct the issue on the driver's side, I realized that the provided holes in the base were too far in either direction so I just drilled my own hole between two of the provided holes and now it lines up perfect! Can't wait to aim them at night!!!

What a difference this made^. Drilling the hole and making both bulbs sit at exactly 3 and 9 o'clock made a big difference for a very small rotation of the base. Idk if it was the factory housings being ever so slightly different from right to left or the bulbs but after making this change, the light beam looked much better and I did not get brighted once. Very satisfied now, all I have to do is aim then down ever so slightly at Dad's house tomm. He's got a perfectly level driveway with a double wide white garage door. Perfect place to aim headlights

Last edited by 09f250v10; 02-04-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: What a difference
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
That looks really good! Sorry I didn't get you pics sooner. I took them this morning, but then I got my butt kicked installing a Firestone airbag kit. Holy crap, it took me over 8 hours to get the job done! One thing after another fought me, but I won in the end. Kinda sucked doing it without a lift. Got cold and wet, and I'll bet I crawled under the truck 50 times or more.

Back to the lights. I like your idea, and maybe that's the trick I need to do on my passenger side light with the extra lobe. Tks for posting!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 AM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
That looks really good! Sorry I didn't get you pics sooner. I took them this morning, but then I got my butt kicked installing a Firestone airbag kit. Holy crap, it took me over 8 hours to get the job done! One thing after another fought me, but I won in the end. Kinda sucked doing it without a lift. Got cold and wet, and I'll bet I crawled under the truck 50 times or more.

Back to the lights. I like your idea, and maybe that's the trick I need to do on my passenger side light with the extra lobe. Tks for posting!
​​​​​​
It's all good, I needed to be outside and enjoy the 45 degree temperature anyways so I just took a stab at it. After taking a drive tonight, I am even more happy than before. Great output and color temp. Now I can't wait for the fog lights. Btw when you are drilling that hole in the base, take your time and be careful, not much room between each pre-drilled hole.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:51 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Here's close-ups of the two lamps. Driver's side is factory clock position, which was best, but it's not perfectly vertical like yours. Then remember I had to clock the passenger side one hole, which is 1/8th turn. The factory clock position on the passenger side put a little hump of light on top of the main beam, and the 1/8th clock had the lobe below. After reading your idea, I'm thinking maybe if I split the difference it would look good. When you drilled the extra holes, I presume you went just deep enough to get through the plastic, right? I'd hate to hit anything vital on the inside.

Driver's Side lamp

Name:  DriversSide_zpsj0zxhzoc.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  240.6 KB

Passenger Side

Name:  PassengerSide_zpsmkzrfrdm.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  288.7 KB

Old 02-05-2017, 01:01 AM
09f250v10
Senior User
[QUOTE=KodiakF250;16925745]Here's close-ups of the two lamps. Driver's side is factory clock position, which was best, but it's not perfectly vertical like yours. Then remember I had to clock the passenger side one hole, which is 1/8th turn. The factory clock position on the passenger side put a little hump of light on top of the main beam, and the 1/8th clock had the lobe below. After reading your idea, I'm thinking maybe if I split the difference it would look good. When you drilled the extra holes, I presume you went just deep enough to get through the plastic, right? I'd hate to hit anything vital on the inside.

I'd be willing to bet money that the position of the passenger side bulb is what's causing that lobe. When I drilled the hole, I just pulled the entire base off of the bulb to drill so I wouldnt hit the main housing. Then just slide the base back onto the bulb and install the alan screw.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They really should do that like a vernier. Especially if it is so critical. With eight holes, if they had 3 threaded holes properly placed you could select between 24 positions.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:13 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 09f250v10
I'd be willing to bet money that the position of the passenger side bulb is what's causing that lobe. When I drilled the hole, I just pulled the entire base off of the bulb to drill so I wouldnt hit the main housing. Then just slide the base back onto the bulb and install the alan screw.
I didn't even think about removing the base. Didn't notice it could come off. Great idea. Between church and the game tomorrow, I may have to wait until Monday to try this.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:19 AM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
They really should do that like a vernier. Especially if it is so critical. With eight holes, if they had 3 threaded holes properly placed you could select between 24 positions.
That is a great idea. It really is critical, I still can't believe that an 1/8th of an inch turn made the difference it did. Your idea would be great for thier bulbs.

KodiakF250, let us know if my method helped or got rid of the lobe. I'm thinking it will.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
All,

Is the concensus that this H13 kit is tge way to go?

Do I need or should I also get the CANbus option for these? (2015 350 6.7 dually Platinum)

I have daylight running lights option turned on by Ford (like standard in Canada). Do I need to get this changed back to usa non-running before swapping to this light kit?

did anyone buy an extra (spare part) bulb for the kit?

thanks,

Originally Posted by 09f250v10
Dakster, these are H13 Extreme Headlight kit (XT-LED-H13) from XenonDepot.com, and the fogs are H10 Extreme LED CMB Bulbs in 5000K (XT-LED-H10-CMB

Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I've ordered a set, will take a look at it when I get them. Possibly I can put in the required extra threaded holes - hard to tell from the pictures.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Intersting thing, I look at my stock headlights on the garage wall today and the beam pattern on the wall is different between the driver side and the passenger side.

At least I understand the need to clock the driver and passenger side differently.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dakster
Intersting thing, I look at my stock headlights on the garage wall today and the beam pattern on the wall is different between the driver side and the passenger side.

At least I understand the need to clock the driver and passenger side differently.
I wonder if it's just a casting "defect"/difference between the two sides since mine was the same way. I can't think of any reason for that. In my mind both bulbs need to be clocked identical, and the driver's side housing itself aimed slightly lower than the passenger side. All I know is that when I was able to get both leds in the 3/9 position, the light output/pattern is much more acceptable to me at least.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Since a couple of you have mentioned changing your fog lights, maybe this picture will help you like it did me. After I removed the 4 bolts holding the protective metal bracket that's between the tire & fog lamp, the tight quarters made it hard to see how the fog lamp was held in there. So cell phone to the rescue again. Snapped a pic, and zoomed in. Use a Torx T15, and loosen the three screws just a half turn or so. They only need to be loosened enough to rotate the lamp to clear the plastic tabs from under the screw heads. Then you can slide the lamp out. If you have an air wrench (not impact), then you can make really short work of the job...maybe 15 minutes.

Name:  FogLamp_zpsymbx32qx.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  298.9 KB

Old 02-06-2017, 01:25 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
it makes some sense to me that the passenger and drivers side headlights might be designed to throw a different pattern. Oncoming traffic is on the left side, oncoming deer are on the right side. Except in the less progressive parts of the British Empire, of course!

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Upgrades