Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   NO GODFORSAKEN BOOST (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/990323-no-godforsaken-boost.html)

lakewood 09-08-2010 07:54 PM

NO GODFORSAKEN BOOST

Yeah im really pissed. on my way home from church tonight, my truck isnt giving me any boost.

When i started it i thought it sounded funny, when i accelerated it felt even funnier, felt like my 7.3, you floor it and it goes nowhere. both my boost gauges(stock, a.m.) are showing no boost, i stomp on it, climbes to about 1800 rpms, no boost, then jumps to 2500 with 9 pounds of boost. i pull over on the side of the road, restart the truck about 5 times, nothin, still not producing boost. so i take off again, im checking to see if its black smoking, my friend is behind me and im using his head lights, but no smoke. finally make it up to 65-70 mph, at that speed i normally see about 10 psi continuously, this time nothing. i get home, listen to the exhaust sounds like a non-turboed v-8, cant hear my turbo at, and usually its screaming. pop the hood, all the CAC boots are on and everything looks fine.

I am pretty po'd right now, so sorry for any grammar mistakes.

I know its going into limp mode, truck has never done this before, its been 2800 miles since i got the EGR deleted and this is the first problem i've had.

Is there anyway to reset the code(no cel) so i can at least drive to school tomorrow?

Also dont want hp tunes, because well like most 17 year olds i'll use em, to the best of their abilities

lakewood 09-08-2010 08:49 PM

Bump.
Stilled torqued

John Irwin 09-08-2010 09:02 PM

My boost shut down last night too, and I was thinking turbo, now I think the ficm has finally died. It was running fine, shut it down, got back in a few hours later, and it would hardly run. I'm thinking, no fuel, no boost. I couldn't get more than a pound out of it, floored, it wouldn't hardly accelerate, then I bumped the Edge up to race, and within a few seconds the boost hit and away it went. Could your problem be fuel...??
I'm just brushing up on the solder rerun for the ficm, and heading out to the shop to try it. Good luck!

lakewood 09-08-2010 09:07 PM

FICM is a possibility i guess, but i dont think so personally. the turbo isnt kicking in, thats not controlled by the FICM, exhaust is still flowing through the turbo, the vanes just arent opening. so thats why i think my truck has finally gone into limp mode

solaratomic 09-08-2010 09:12 PM

Bad VGT actuator and/or connector? Just throwing something out.

jetact 09-08-2010 09:19 PM

EBP valve/switch is my guess. I am sure someone smarter then me will give a good answer tonight

bismic 09-09-2010 03:13 AM

Disconnecting the batteries should clear the codes IIRC.

We really do need the codes. Do you have any coolant or oil temp readings?

MrBeechwood 09-09-2010 05:20 AM

must be an epidemic my turbo seems to be acting up too. Heavy on the pedal in third gear I noticed my speed was not climbing at all and I was getting passed like an old man.

CAMPINGTOM 09-09-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lakewood (Post 9308122)
the turbo isnt kicking in... so thats why i think my truck has finally gone into limp mode

When I was in limp mode the turbo still worked, just wouldn't build over 20 psi of boost. I don't think your in limp mode.
Did John clean your turbo when he had it off?

I agree that it might be vgt solenoid or something along those lines.

hifiman 09-09-2010 08:02 AM

My 05 did things as you mention and it was a simple change of the EBP sensor that fixed the problem. Mine showed a p0470 and p0299 code.

lakewood 09-09-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAMPINGTOM (Post 9309129)
When I was in limp mode the turbo still worked, just wouldn't build over 20 psi of boost. I don't think your in limp mode.
Did John clean your turbo when he had it off?

I agree that it might be vgt solenoid or something along those lines.

John took the turbo aprat, cleaned it, and checked the unison ring, everything echecked out

lakewood 09-09-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hifiman (Post 9309307)
My 05 did things as you mention and it was a simple change of the EBP sensor that fixed the problem. Mine showed a p0470 and p0299 code.

I have a code reader, but a cheapo one i borrowed from a friend, im gonna go see if it works now. ill post if i get any codes

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:13 PM

The cheapo code reader, well didnt do anything.
I talked to the tech that did the work, hes thinking ebp valve, or vgt soleinoid.

Not sure what ebp valve stands for, ill take at guess at exhaust back pressure valve?

solaratomic 09-09-2010 05:19 PM

that's correct exhaust back pressure sensor, it's located on the drivers side manifold on a bracket. It's about 1/2 way back on the engine. You may wanna try cleaning it w/carb cleaner. Also spray a good amount down the tube or take it off and clean it w/a pipe cleaner.

lakewood 09-09-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by solaratomic (Post 9310941)
that's correct exhaust back pressure sensor, it's located on the drivers side manifold on a bracket. It's about 1/2 way back on the engine. You may wanna try cleaning it w/carb cleaner. Also spray a good amount down the tube or take it off and clean it w/a pipe cleaner.

Ok thanks, you mind posting a pic or somethin showing exactly where it is?