Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   coverting my 93 to 134a what type of oil is best? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/974446-coverting-my-93-to-134a-what-type-of-oil-is-best.html)

shuttlevalve 07-16-2010 07:34 AM

coverting my 93 to 134a what type of oil is best?

Well the title says it all, but i just about have all the parts to start my convertion new hose off the compressor, accumulator, and red orfice the only major part iam missing is the new compressor that i'm getting next payday. I have enough 134 for the job and gages i just see a few options for oils (PAG?? Ester?? etc) in various weights whats the best for a old converted ford?

GlennFordx4 07-16-2010 07:59 AM

I used ester when I did mine in my 93 bronco.
Glenn

rla2005 07-16-2010 08:01 AM

PAG46 is the most common oil used by Ford for R-134a systems.

fordman1090 07-16-2010 09:58 AM

I used PAG46. And it worked great, however the compressor will come with oil as well, but the oil depends on the freon your using so use accordingly.

It looks like you have most of the stuff ready to go, make sure to pre-fill the compressor and the dryer then put whats left of the oil in the line leading to the compressor.
Make sure the system is completely dry of all old oil and Freon, and run some flush through it. Even if most parts are new. Did the old compressor lock up or stop working? If so you really need to flush or replace the condenser in front of the radiator really well. The older compressors have nylon bushing that wear out, melt and plug the tiny holes in the condenser, then it only causes more problems in the future.

shuttlevalve 07-16-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by fordman1090 (Post 9114916)
I used PAG46. And it worked great, however the compressor will come with oil as well, but the oil depends on the freon your using so use accordingly.

It looks like you have most of the stuff ready to go, make sure to pre-fill the compressor and the dryer then put whats left of the oil in the line leading to the compressor.
Make sure the system is completely dry of all old oil and Freon, and run some flush through it. Even if most parts are new. Did the old compressor lock up or stop working? If so you really need to flush or replace the condenser in front of the radiator really well. The older compressors have nylon bushing that wear out, melt and plug the tiny holes in the condenser, then it only causes more problems in the future.

No, the system lost charge and the compressor was weeping oil from the halves and the line was leaking off the back of the compressor. whats the best method to flush the condensor and evap?? and make sure all the cleaning agent is out before i charge up the system?

rla2005 07-16-2010 02:37 PM

Interesting reading on this topic here: Auto A/C Flush Procedure

fordman1090 07-16-2010 03:14 PM

I just bought a pressurized can of A/C flush. Then used compressed air to blow/dry it out of the system. Then pull a vac for 20-30min to get all the moisture left by compressed air out, then let it sit for 20-30min at a vacuum to make sure there are no leaks. Then charge.