Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   IPR ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/945267-ipr.html)

BIG J82 04-02-2010 12:00 PM

IPR ?

so i got the new ipr in the truck on tuseday drove it to work wed did some running around to day did an oil change

and it dies again what could this be

coud it be a bad pcm ? , shorted out wire maybe

i can tell when it is about to happen its always when im on the highway doin around 65mph

when its about to go it feels week and starts to make a lite ticking nosie then it gets worse and dies right out

im gunna check the wiring to the pcm tomorrow

Talyn 04-02-2010 12:09 PM

What mods have you done to the truck? Reistor mod?

Were you sure the IPR was the problem?

Does it start back up right away?

Almost sounds like a bad CPS.

BIG J82 04-02-2010 12:26 PM

i have the idm reistor mod

well i was kinda thinkin it might be the cps

it died on me last week then put in a new ipr and it was runnin great then it died again

it wont run at all

DRRXR 04-02-2010 01:23 PM

Check your tach for movement when cranking. No movement replace the CPS. Some movement may still be CPS.
Check to ensure that there are no connection issues at the cps. Check HPOP level and ensure that its a 1/2 or so from the top.

Action4478 04-02-2010 02:58 PM

sounds like a fuel pressure issue.. Pick up tube ?...Blocked line ? Pump issue.. ?Have you looked in the fuel bowl after a stall?

Hussler 04-02-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BIG J82 (Post 8718259)
i have the idm reistor mod

WAG the IDM is toast ...

Although the mod sounds good the components in the IDM are rated at 160 volts (capacitors). As our trucks age so do the tolerances on compoents.

Hope it is something simple though.

RRranch 04-02-2010 05:59 PM

What you describe is ecactly what mine feels like when a tank went dry. Have you tried switching tanks when it does it yet?

Talyn 04-03-2010 09:59 AM

Well, with what Rick and Dan have said, I would open up the fuel bowl and check that, and clean the FPR system.
If the bowl is empty when you open the cover, you'll def know your problem then.

I know CPS does weird things, the ticking part is the part that I don't about.

Could be an algea problem, *shrugs*

BIG J82 04-03-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DRRXR (Post 8718390)
Check your tach for movement when cranking. No movement replace the CPS. Some movement may still be CPS.
Check to ensure that there are no connection issues at the cps. Check HPOP level and ensure that its a 1/2 or so from the top.

it dose move

BIG J82 04-03-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hussler (Post 8719047)
WAG the IDM is toast ...

Although the mod sounds good the components in the IDM are rated at 160 volts (capacitors). As our trucks age so do the tolerances on compoents.

Hope it is something simple though.

its not the first time its done this tho and when i change the ipr it runs fine for a few months then it dies

i have another idm and tryed it aswell and still didnt run

BIG J82 04-03-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by RRranch (Post 8719176)
What you describe is ecactly what mine feels like when a tank went dry. Have you tried switching tanks when it does it yet?

its never gone dry before and no its the same with either tank

BIG J82 04-03-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 8721572)
Well, with what Rick and Dan have said, I would open up the fuel bowl and check that, and clean the FPR system.
If the bowl is empty when you open the cover, you'll def know your problem then.

I know CPS does weird things, the ticking part is the part that I don't about.

Could be an algea problem, *shrugs*

ill check the bowl

im leaning twards the ICP

DRRXR 04-03-2010 03:52 PM

Next time it dies, stop and pull the HPOP plug and see if the level has dropped in it. It should be about a 1/2 from the top.

Next time its running and you have it hot locate the map sensor electrical connector above the ac unit at the firewall where the hose routes from the turbo boost pressure and un plug the connector. If the truck runs beter then the map snsor is either bad or the small hole at the hose to turbo connection is fouled out or the sensor is fouled out.

One thing to ask does it fire right back up and run like nothing happened afterwards?

I am leaning towards a gap clearance when hot at the CPS. Also do you know your frp pressure at idle?

I would check for codes, mine had codes with no flashing WTS

Talyn 04-03-2010 04:11 PM

I forgot to hook the map line back up the last time I took the pass side valve cover off. I was so confused for about a mile and a half. it ran fine, but had no go. haha.

BIG J82 04-04-2010 02:01 AM

its not running at all right now

when i turn it over raw fuel clouds out but it dosnt kick or any thing