Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Exhaust to be smog legal in california? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/922526-exhaust-to-be-smog-legal-in-california.html)

Six5 01-19-2010 09:23 PM

Exhaust to be smog legal in california?

I want longtube headers but what do I need to do to make sure they will pass smog in California? What a bout a good option for a catalytic converter?

Conanski 01-19-2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Six5 (Post 8392562)
I want longtube headers but what do I need to do to make sure they will pass smog in California?

Find a friendly smog referee and contribute to his retirement fund.:-X06

What a bout a good option for a catalytic converter?

That's probably cheaper, just select one of the many CARB certified universal replacements available.

oreocreaming 01-20-2010 12:17 AM

I want longtube headers but what do I need to do to make sure they will pass smog in California? What a bout a good option for a catalytic converter?

it depends on what year car it is. your allowed worse emissions for later year car and trucks. headers are really hard, if its a newer car, then it needs to have bungs for o2 sensor. if its older its gotta have bungs tapped on the top of each cylinder for the smog pump. and you can get a high flow cat, BUT they tend to only be good for 2 or 3 years before you are gonna fail your test. best thing to do is to have your smog test done, install whatever you want. keep your factory stuff! when your smog comes up again just bolt your factory stuff on. your only lookin at about 6 hours work every 2 years.

pnp522 01-20-2010 12:21 AM

only shorties legal here and only a few replacement cats available now. Depending on the mileage of your truck you might not be able to replace it unless it fails smog. Ain't CARB grand according to AB 32 they are going to outlaw all diesel engines on-road and off-road older than 5 years including industrial and construction equipment.

85e150 01-20-2010 12:25 AM

Anything you put on has to be OEM or CARB approved. Header manufacturers will have the CARB number available. Doug Thorley would be an example of someone selling CARB approved headers.

Cats have to be oem or certified. Lots of fraud with stolen cats etc, so now you can't install used--pita.

TexasGuy001 01-20-2010 05:21 AM

I can't believe they are going to outlaw all diesels that are older than 5 years old. That makes no sense to me.

oreocreaming 01-20-2010 10:55 AM

where did you hear they are going to outlaw them? everything i have read is that anything 5 years old and newer have to have emissions testing. nothing about older being outlawed. the only people that cant have a restriction on what they can have are companies with a total fleet over 50. and the 5 year limit is on equipment. backhoes, forklifts, loaders, scrapers ect.

andym 01-20-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by pnp522 (Post 8393364)
Ain't CARB grand according to AB 32 they are going to outlaw all diesel engines on-road and off-road older than 5 years including industrial and construction equipment.

I call BS on this. Link?

Longtube headers are illegal for street-driven vehicles in all 50 states.

TexasGuy001 01-21-2010 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by oreocreaming (Post 8394634)
where did you hear they are going to outlaw them? everything i have read is that anything 5 years old and newer have to have emissions testing. nothing about older being outlawed. the only people that cant have a restriction on what they can have are companies with a total fleet over 50. and the 5 year limit is on equipment. backhoes, forklifts, loaders, scrapers ect.

Why would they have a 5 year limit on loaders and backhoes etc? Companies can't afford to replace them that often.

oreocreaming 01-21-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 8398853)
Why would they have a 5 year limit on loaders and backhoes etc? Companies can't afford to replace them that often.

because the epa are jerks. most construction companies are going under in california for that exact reason. they say it has to be under 5 years because the diesel emissions are much lower in the newer engines.

85e150 01-21-2010 01:44 PM

The ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles are banning the older trucks, but not statewide. The port story is a long one, involves labor issues, politics, etc, and is enough to p-off the pope.

ALL emissions laws and info is available and public. Sites like this here:

Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information

So, if you hear some blanket statement, or if you have questions about what you can/can't do, go to the official source.

Duramaxfanatic1 01-22-2010 12:26 AM

your best bet is to keep everything you improve the engine with and put it all back to stock unless you know a guy