Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   front Spring hangers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/867144-front-spring-hangers.html)

71hightoy 07-12-2009 05:54 PM

front Spring hangers

im trying to build a custom front spring hangers for my rig and i was wondering where some of you guys got yours from.. Ive searched the web a lot but if anybody knows some web sights that sell these that would be great.
i plant on using a 4"x4" piece of box metal framing across the front with the spring hangers below it. i have the 4x4 and gussets and tabs and what not but i haven't found a weld on spring hanger that will work for my needs..

Damstr8 07-12-2009 06:18 PM

Get in touch with 75F350. He is the best person I have found so far, and one of the smartest people on here.

71hightoy 07-12-2009 07:22 PM

also if anybody has pictures of one of there builds where they made their own front spring hangers that would help.. if i have to make them thats fine. i just thought i would check to see if i could buy them if possible.

75F350 07-12-2009 11:25 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Gonna make me blush.

Couple of things to consider. The spring hangers locate the axle, and dictate the caster angles. You will have to lower or lengthen the shackle by the same amount to maintain the proper angles.

Now, You can lower them in the manner that you mentioned and all will be fine as mong as it is withon reason, But I might ask, what will this block of steel accomplish that a proper spring will not?
If this truck gets stuck the recovery places quite a bit of stress on these points and by moving the hanger away from the frame the leverage becomes greater. I have seen complete axles stay stuck in the mud and the springs ripper from these style hangers.

Regardless, just know that there are potential repercisions for any mod.
Now, as long as you are making stuff, why not use the stock hanger? It would be very easy to attach these to the bottom of the square tubing.

Also note that a 78/9 front hanger is a bolt on. Once you cap the ends of the square tubing, you can weld or bolt the stuff together.

Also, this is a good time to install a front mounting point. You can add a piece of 2" reciever tubing that can accomodate a front recovery point.

71hightoy 07-13-2009 12:41 AM

im sorry i should have explained my situation a lil more before stating my question..
What i have is the piece of seal welded on the front of my frame with two 3/4" thick clevis tabs welded on each side for my D rings. and in the center i have the receiver hitch to except various hooks .. so yes i believe it is just that (2" receiver tubing). the reason i dont use my old ones is they are completly rusted out :( :( pretty sad.. but thats what the project started out like... i guess i could go to the u pull it yard and look at what the 78/9 hangers look like and see if they could work for my build..
thanks again :)

71hightoy 07-13-2009 12:47 AM

i guess i just didnt wana use 12" lift springs. i saw them and the arch just seemed a little to extreme.. maybe its just me but so far the route i went seems to be working

75F350 07-13-2009 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by 71hightoy (Post 7712014)
i guess i just didnt wana use 12" lift springs. i saw them and the arch just seemed a little to extreme.. maybe its just me but so far the route i went seems to be working

I can appreciate this, but you are only running 39.5" tires. Is there a real need for 12 inches of lift?
I run 8" leafs with a couple of leafs removed to bring the truck down and I clear 39.5" boggers.
My truck with 44's does not have that much lift. That seems like a bunch. I am not opposed to it, but is that much necessary?
Just a question, not a criticism, please dont take this wrong.

71hightoy 07-13-2009 01:03 AM

no i know its just a question.. to be honest the 8" lift springs were owned by a buddy and i jumped at the idea of buying them with out really thinking. lol its just a truck a buddy of mine and I are building.. both of are dads had old fords like these so finding parts was almost as easy as searching through the shop. lol goes the same for the tires.. there what i have.. with 12" lift im sure i can fit larger but i still have to be able to drive this truck to school every morning if you know what I mean..

ChaseTruck754 07-13-2009 11:15 AM

Ed saw the print of this and the materials yesterday, but here is what I am doing on my crew.

Starting with a 3" x 5" 3/8" wall rectangular tube and whittling it down and adding a 2" receiver. I will be making the "spring hangers" out of a couple pieces of 3/16" that will bent to box the rectangular tube back in after cutting. I will only be dropping the pivot point of the spring 1" (not looking for much lift at all) but you get the idea of how to do it.

I will be bolting this assembly on using the stock holes that the rivets will be removed from. I'll run boss' through the rect. tube and 5/8" or so grade 8 bolts.

Hopefully this comes out big enough to see...
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...leafhanger.jpg

75F350 07-13-2009 11:21 AM

ChaseTruck754 is the "mad fabricator". That design he has (though we cant see it Steve) is a great design and should be plenty strong. This should stay tucked up nice and perform very well.

Here is another alternative:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...gersection.jpg

ChaseTruck754 07-13-2009 11:34 AM

Nice Ed. I'd love to see somebody else try and re-create a front like that. I was too lazy to!

As for my diagram/pic - is it really not loading? I loaded it in photoshop and I can see it in this thread

75F350 07-13-2009 11:44 AM

Did you copy the correct image code? I only see a square with a red "X" in it.

DO you remember this piece? This was gonna be the attempt to bolt up a later model Dana 60 to an early truck. Notice the spring hanger location? Also notice the front bolts holes to use the oribina bumper bolts for added strength.
While not an original design, These have been modeled after the chebby design that we copied some time ago. Nice piece actually.

ChaseTruck754 07-13-2009 11:57 AM

I remember that thing Ed. I know how much work went into it and I'm not going that overboard - hahaha

Yeah - WTF with my red X. The dang pic was working before and now photobucket killed it. I reloaded the thing, edited my post, etc. and nothing.

I don't get it....

It seems to work here - so maybe it's just FTE????:-X09
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ml#post1792410

75F350 07-13-2009 12:03 PM

The dana 60's make a nice image, but that file appears to be just a red "X" in that forum as well.
Dunno what the dealio is.

Just as a note, that D60 might just get acid dipped. I was not aware that the inside was rusted too, and I dont like to run glass bed in there. I have a shop that does this, and I can pursuade them to do this for me. A few adult beverages can go a long way, lol.

ChaseTruck754 07-13-2009 12:06 PM

Thanks buddy!

As for the red X - I don't get it. SOmetimes the pic works and sometimes it doesn't. That is both here AND on the other forum I linked too. I tried to fix it in photobucket and got this...:-lamesign

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...afhanger-1.jpg

Try reading that! That is IF it even shows up.

Oh well - too much effort spent on this already. People can see what I'm doing when I start building it:confused: