Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   Gumbo Mudder help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/795861-gumbo-mudder-help.html)

mudder460 11-24-2008 11:07 AM

Gumbo Mudder help

I am trying to find a website that sells Gumbo Mudders and I have had no luck. Does anyone know where to order some from?

Green Ford 11-24-2008 12:24 PM

Gateway who made the Gumbo Monster Mudders was bought out a while back. From what I understand they are no longer making them. You may still find someone who has a set that wasn't sold or find used ones on different boards or e-bay.

75F350 11-24-2008 01:53 PM

Some stores still have stock on those antiques?
These would be old stock right? Wouldn't that make the tires a little crusty? When did these actually go out of production?

Green Ford 11-24-2008 01:58 PM

I think they have been gone a year or two. Yea I would worry about dry rot on them. I would make sure you see them brfore you buy them.

mudder460 11-24-2008 03:10 PM

I did a search as well and found the same results. I did find the denman website and emailed them about the tires. I just didn't know if anyone might have known of anything. Looks like by the time I get around to affording them, they will all be gone. That really sucks cause I used to run the old Buckshot Mudders and loved them!

mark a. 11-24-2008 07:48 PM

Worst set of tires I ever owened.

teds74ford 11-24-2008 08:57 PM

I like them for their old school look.

GregsSD 11-25-2008 01:46 AM

I used to run 40" Gumbo Mudders years ago and loved them, but I wasn't to worried about the highway ride back then!!!

mudder460 11-25-2008 08:25 AM

Mark, please go into detail. I am not really worried about the ride either. This isn't my daily driver or anything. I am pretty much just wanting something different from the normal swamper. I like to be different!

75F350 11-25-2008 10:09 AM

I was never a fan of the Gumbo Monster Mudder. Well, let me define that. I was a fan when there were maybe only a couple of tires available in the 40 plus size range.
The tire design of the past is an old design. These tires flat spotted worse than any swamper I have ever owned, and the noise was crazy. Having symetrical lugs made these things really sing. The sidewalls were stiff but weak. Sidewall punctures were common, and with a rather rigid sidewall even 15" tires popped beads. Heak, dont even think about running these old mudders at low tire pressures and having a 16.5" wheel. I think I could kick one right off of the wheel.
With such new tire technology out there, using an old style tire seems a little odd. Newer style and designs just work better.

mudder460 11-25-2008 10:49 AM

I have always been a fan of Hawgs. I never had the money to buy Haws but I have owned a few sets of RVT's and I know they worked great for me. They were my second choice to run if I couldn't find Gumbo's. I will most likely get them instead of the Gumbo's since they are no longer produced. I was just wondering if they still wear as good as they used to since they were sold to Interco.

mark a. 11-25-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mudder460 (Post 6809508)
Mark, please go into detail. I am not really worried about the ride either. This isn't my daily driver or anything. I am pretty much just wanting something different from the normal swamper. I like to be different!

What 75f350 said, (Ed). I'd add the set I had was so far out of round they were literaly tearing my truck up & flat spotting was real bad too. I had to greese the tre's every time after it drove it. Maby I just got the bad set & I'm glad they aren't on the market anymore.