Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Hello and project input (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/765900-hello-and-project-input.html)

Stephen67 08-10-2008 11:49 PM

Hello and project input

I figured I'd say hello here since I wanted to discuss my future project. :-wink

Last year I finished my 1967 Mustang ( http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2551391 ) and am dying to do a new project. And I also need a truck since my last one sorta got totalled and blew up (lol not my fault).

I'm a professional Blacksmith ( http://stephen67.deviantart.com/gall...lacksmith-work ) and I currently live in Sheridan, WY but will be moving in a couple months.

I plan on doing a 1956 F100 4x4. I've been researching as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to be a well traveled path. I've seen frame swaps from s-10s to full size broncos and pickups. Truthfully I don't know at this point which would be the best route to go for that, cutting and welding a frame isn't a problem if it sits better. I like large tires and low stances.

The truck will be a work truck (doesn't mean I plan on beating it to death), so it will need to be able to tow, nothing like 20' horse trailers or anything, just a normal trailer. My hope is to find one with decent metal and glass but not one that I will feel guilty about modify so heavily because I really want to have some fun with it.

Any opinions or help is well appreciated.

Looking forward to starting this project and learning more about F100s :)

GreatNorthWoods 08-11-2008 06:05 AM

Blacksmith? Now, there's an occupation you don't run into every day. I can't help with the 4-wd conversion but I did want to welcome you to FTE! :)

I don't usually recommend full frame swaps but I think it might be preferable in trying to convert to 4-wd. Perhaps a Bronco frame would present less of a challenge that trying to retrofit all the 4-wd parts to a 2-wd frame. Good luck on your project...:)

bobbytnm 08-11-2008 07:56 AM

Welcome to the board!!!

I like your attitude about trying to find a decent truck but one not so nice that it would be a shame to cut into it. My truck is heavily modified and I didn't feel a bit bad about it, namely because it was pretty rough to start with. If it had been a clean truck I would have been forced to stay closer to a restoration kind of build.

I think the easiest way to convert over to 4x4 is to add the components instead of doing a frame swap. Years ago I built a 1960 F-100 4x4. I used the components from a 1975 F-100. The biggest differences is the widths, after 1972 Ford had a wider wheel base so if you could find a 1972 or earlier donor vehicle you should be in good shape. We have several members here making 4x4's, hopefully they will chime in and offer some tips

Glad to have you
Bobby

Blue50F-1 08-11-2008 09:17 AM

I've got no advice on the 4x4 thing, but I too wanted to say welcome, and and good luck.

Where are you moving to?

James

Fomoko1 08-11-2008 09:19 AM

Welcome aboard Stephen, that`s one totally awesome Mustang!

Stephen67 08-11-2008 01:43 PM

Thanks you :)

This move is an odd one for me, lol I still don't know where I'm going but I'm going to be there very soon. (this would be my 9th)

As far as 4x4, I was under the impression that the original frame wasn't made for towing, that if I ever wanted to I would need to swap it out. Towing isn't a huge deal, but I like to have the option. For me its easier to build things from the ground up rather than try to put it back to the way it was, I had planned on making this a frame off restoration regardless. But still a lot to figure out and a lot I won't know till I actually find my project. I've been itching to get to work for, lol well, a year.

And Fomoko1, I noticed you have two fastbacks, have you been to Vintage Mustang Forums yet? Wealth of infromation.
Forum Index - Vintage Mustang Forums?

bobbytnm 08-11-2008 01:47 PM

I don't see why the frame wouldn't be ok for towing. I believe you can buy a bolt on class3 or 4 reciever type hitch for your truck. From the sounds of it its not like you are going to be trying to tow a mountain or anything. Right now I just have a step bumper on my 49 with a ball on the bumper, I occasionally drag a single axle utility trailer, I am planning on going with a reciever style hitch as I do drag a 18' tandem flat bed trailer on occasion.

Good luck with it, it should be a fun project
Bobby

4tl8ford 08-11-2008 02:41 PM

Welcome to FTE

Moving quickly and don't know where - nine times?
Just give it up and do the time, being a Blacksmith and Custom vehicles is not the way to stay underground. Just a thought.

Check this guys work out in making a stocker into a 4x4:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...e-anymore.html

Blue50F-1 08-11-2008 03:16 PM

Hey Dick, we don't know he's running from a sentence...

though, Stephen, (if that's your real name) if that is why you're running, just do the time. It's easier and a lot less headache. :-X18

...maybe he's in the witness protection program! Think about it...I know I'm moving but I don't know where, just that it'll be soon. Maybe he doesn't know because it's for his own safety? :confused:

:-X24 All in good fun! :-X04

Stephen67 08-11-2008 03:58 PM

roflmao. See one mafia princess get kidnapped by the FBI and you have to hide the rest of your life.

This is the 9th move of my life, and by far the weirdest. I've known I was moving for the past 20 months, just waiting for the door to open in the right place, its a really big move. That should all be a lot more clear later this month, lol. Usually I know then go there and that's that.

It's frustrating to me for I really want to get started, but gives me time to get everything really planned out.

Anyone know a place with an abundent amount of pictures? google image works ok, but its nothing like just having a place with everything you're looking for. I did the same thing before I bought my mustang, looked up pictures of every nut and bolt on the car, helps a lot when you're trying to plan for something you don't own yet, lol.

56 Panel 08-11-2008 04:21 PM

Welcome. You do some nice work.

Until you get settled, I can help you with storage space if you need it.

I do metal polishing using abrasives. You can see a big block Chevy engine that I completely polished on this page.

Give me a call any day or evening at (602) 233-8400.

Dave
1956 Ford F-100 panel truck project

bobbytnm 08-11-2008 04:21 PM

Here's a couple of helpful inks

Auto Hobby Page - 105,000+ Car Pics - Specs - Events - Forum - HotRods - Classics
http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re..._Material.html

Bobby

Stephen67 08-11-2008 04:37 PM

Oh nice, I've seen you're truck before when looking around Dave, it's freaking awesome. I really enjoy the polishing work you do, I'll have to keep you in mind when I get to the drive train ;)

Thanks for the links Bobby, most helpful :)

Always nice to find a decent forum, most places I've seen either no one posts or all they do is tell you it can't be done or you shouldn't change it from factory.

56 Panel 08-11-2008 04:49 PM

Yikes. I messed up. When I replied to this thread earlier, I thought you were moving to Phoenix. (I post more in the Arizona Chapter forum, and I forgot I wasn't there.) That's why I mentioned the storage space.

This is the first time in my life I've ever done anything that wasn't perfect and incredibly cool, and I sure am glad that nobody of any significance saw it.

Off to comb my hair.

Dave
Roadsters.com

Stephen67 08-11-2008 05:01 PM

lol, yeah I thought that was a bit aways away, but I appreciate it none the less ;) . I use to live around Phoenix though (Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale), but that was about 14 years ago.