Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Overdrive light flashing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/703112-overdrive-light-flashing.html)

a-rod 02-03-2008 05:09 AM

Overdrive light flashing

Well tonight my overdrive light started flashing and it would'nt shift out of like 5th gear or whatever it was stuck in.... I was in the hills in some deep snow when this happened and I was running the truck pretty hard, I was keeping an eye on the EGTs the whole time since I have an EGT gauge....... But im not sure exactly what happend here with this tranny....... any ideas?? Thanks for any help!

ron's power stroke 02-03-2008 05:15 AM

i would pull the VSS off of the rear end..you may have packed it with snow and dirt...clean it and dry it out good..put it back in and try again..if that does not work..scan for codes....

JLDickmon 02-03-2008 06:30 AM

pull the VSS & clean it, change the lube in the rear diff as well if you haven't in the last 30k or so..

scan the PCM for trans codes.. look for a TCC code..

clintbonnie 02-03-2008 01:14 PM

You can a new VSS sensor from napa p/n 530780 for $10.49.. (they called it a ABS sensor)..

a-rod 02-03-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks guys Ill look into that. What exactly does VSS stand for?

ron's power stroke 02-03-2008 02:52 PM

VSS = vehicle speed sensor..or napa calls it the ABS = antilock brake sensor

a-rod 02-03-2008 04:23 PM

Well guys I changed the VSS and it didnt do anything, although the old one was very dirty.

I pulled 8 codes, all transmission related. I hope this isnt bad.....

po733
po750
po755
po743
p1754
p1728
p1747
p1783

I just noticed something dented my tranny pan, its not real big, but I wonder if that did something....

JOE-M 02-03-2008 06:05 PM

Pull the pan and check to see if the filter has came loose. Also check to see if the dent is big enough to restrict the flow into the filter, The codes point towards bad problems but we all hope not. Coast clutch out, overheat, shift errors, etc. Do you have aftermarket gauges? Check out the filter and pan and tell us what you find. Maybe just needs new fluid but it doesn't sound like it.
Sorry, Joe

a-rod 02-03-2008 07:51 PM

I just had a filter and fluid flush done, I smelled the fluid today and it did kinda smell burnt..... I dont yet have a trans temp gauge but I will soon. I really dont think the dent is big enough to have hit anything...... I said its stuck in 5th gear or whatever, but im guessing its just stuck in overdrive. I have to put it in 1st or 2nd to start out.

Did I toast this thing or could it be something simple?

a-rod 02-04-2008 08:40 AM

Im gonna pull the pan today, is there anything I should look at? besides a new tranny?? :cool: fuses or anything?

clintbonnie 02-04-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by a-rod
Well tonight my overdrive light started flashing and it would'nt shift out of like 5th gear or whatever it was stuck in.... Thanks for any help!

Your overdrive gear is 4th....

Mark Kovalsky 02-04-2008 12:10 PM

Well guys I changed the VSS and it didnt do anything, although the old one was very dirty.

As you discovered changing parts without knowing the codes is often a waste of money.

I pulled 8 codes, all transmission related. I hope this isnt bad.....

po733
po750
po755
po743
p1754
p1728
p1747
p1783

That looks like the trans is electrically disconnected. That will also cause it to stay in fourth gear (overdrive) all the time.

Check the wiring harness connector on the passenger's side of the trans. Is it damaged or disconnected? Is there water or oil inside the connector? Are any fuses blown? Maybe the wiring harness to the connector is damaged. It could also be the wiring harness inside the pan. It could have been damaged when the pan was dented.

a-rod 02-04-2008 01:31 PM

Thank you Mark! I was thinking maybe something electical as well, but im no transmission expert! Im gonna tear into later when I get off work. Ill let ya know what I find.

a-rod 02-04-2008 07:05 PM

ok I pulled the pan and realized the dent was bad enough that it hit the filter and slightly cracked the rear corner of it. I couldnt find any blown fuses or anything wrong with the harness, but im gonna check it closer yet. Could the cracked filter have caused all this?? Im gonna go see if I can get one downtown. Thanks

Mark Kovalsky 02-04-2008 07:11 PM

A cracked filter can cause some, but not all of those codes. There's something electrical wrong in there.