Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   EGR insufficient flow detected? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/647421-egr-insufficient-flow-detected.html)

10fords 08-29-2007 07:58 PM

EGR insufficient flow detected?

My 2000 v-10 x check engine lite has been coming on intermittently for about the last 5,000 miles. At one point it was at the dealer for a few things and they said it needed a new DPFE sensor. I finally got around to getting a code reader and it said p0401 which is "EGR insufficient flow detected" according to my Chilton manual. Should I replace the DPFE sensor or maybe the EGR valve? I don't want to just throw parts at it so any advice would be great. It has 94,000 miles on it and has recently started to get poor milage(about 8 mpg) on the freeway at 65 mph, so I'm hoping this will help. Thanks- Scott

bikesrfun 08-29-2007 08:07 PM

Check that both hoses are clear and not blocked, and if not, its probably the dpfe. I had the same problem a few months ago, and changed the dpfe and problem gone.....

exposition 08-29-2007 08:46 PM

whats a "DPFE sensor " .

bikesrfun 08-29-2007 08:55 PM

Delta p sensor (differential pressure switch).

exposition 08-29-2007 09:02 PM

Thanks Bikesrfun . I'll add this to my list .

10fords 08-29-2007 10:01 PM

Bikesrfun- Thanks for the reply. Is your X a V-10? How hard is it to change? I'm a pretty good wrench, but everything else I own is diesel or 40 years old so the hardest thing for me is figuring out where all these sensors are! Also, did your milage improve after the DPFE change? Thanks again-Scott

dbtx 08-30-2007 09:27 AM

Most likely the DPFE sensor. Common problem on the Ford modular V8s and V10.

On my `99 5.4, it was on the backside (firewall side) of the intake as it took the 90 degree turn into the intake manifold. Don't know where it is on the V10.

Go buy the new part and look for it on the engine, if all else fails pick up a Chiltons or Haynes manual. Beware that PepBoys, Autozone and the like may refer to the part as an "EGR position sensor". I went to 4 or 5 places looking for the part until I realized there was a name problem...

Doug

10fords 08-30-2007 09:40 AM

DBTX- Thanks for the info. I'm gonna order one today and after I put it on I'll post whether it worked or not. It's nice to get a couple of second opinions from someone without a financial interest in it! Not that I don't trust the dealer..... but they wanted $400 to change it and from what I get, the part is about $70 and should take about a half hour to change. Thanks again-Scott

dbtx 08-30-2007 11:16 AM

Whoops, sorry about that, I was thinking of where the IAC was located (another common problem). Now that I think about it, I don't remember where the DPFE was on the 5.4, but it was much easier to change than the IAC. It was a 5-10 minute job.

The IAC was tougher because you were unbolting it blind- you had to do it by feel. I do remember the dpfe was cake, although the guy I sold the truck to had it go out another 20k miles later. Don't know if it was a bad replacement or what...