Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Storage of my truck for four/five months??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/612275-storage-of-my-truck-for-four-five-months.html)

Vijay 05-13-2007 12:23 PM

Storage of my truck for four/five months???

Hey guys,

I wanted to find out what would happen to my truck if I let it sit for four months without starting it. I have this new job and it requires me to travel to CA and abroad for four/five months. I have parked safe in NJ and it has been sitting there for month and half now already. I also learnt through my family that the batteries were dead.

Would it harm the engine, transmission or any thing for the matter? Please let me know ...

LONEPINERON 05-13-2007 12:29 PM

Don't see any harm in it but would make sure to top off the tank and put some fuel stabeliser like diesel klean in it. (If you store it with less thana full tank you will get condensation in the tank). Also make sure the tires ar inflated and disconect the batteries. (after you charge them). If you leave them dead for too long they will sulfate up and be no good. Hope this helps. LPR

LONEPINERON 05-13-2007 02:09 PM

Sorry I ment fuel conditioner. It will keep the moisture rounded up and help keep from growing things in your tank. LPR

Vijay 05-14-2007 11:31 AM

Thanks

Also I had changed Oil, Filter/s, Differential fluids and Transmission fluids before I put it in storage. Hope this helps, the tank was topped off too. I did remember using Diesel Kleen…nothing else…ffice:office"

Are there any permanent Engine damages that we know of?<O:p

nlemerise 05-14-2007 12:27 PM

Absolutely no damage...nothing. Just get the batteries recharged and then disconnect them.

Vijay 07-02-2007 08:16 PM

Hey guys another quick question...What happens if I leave it in storage until the year end? The batteries are disconnected; fuel probably is around 3/4th, Diesel Kleen in place, covered and away from elements…

It turns out that I will have to stay in CA and/or have to stay abroad at least till this year end. I know some of you (as well as by buddies) will talk to me about selling it…but I guess I will never do that. 7.3 with 50K is not that easy find these days…plus I have too much invested into and probably a lot more in future…above all, I like that the way the truck behaves and everything…

Thanks and appreciate all your opinions and criticism.

powerstroke6ltr 07-02-2007 09:25 PM

If you can find anybody to drive it occassionally to charge the batts and keep everything lubed it will be fine...

UcaN 07-02-2007 09:46 PM

Make sure the coolant is up to spec. Don't want to have a rusty engine when you come back.......

Tenn01PSD350 07-02-2007 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke6ltr
If you can find anybody to drive it occassionally to charge the batts and keep everything lubed it will be fine...

Agreed. It goes to all of the seals from the engine to the rear end, not to mention the oil in the HPOP. If someone can start and drive it occasionally, that is best. Storage for long term, while not a killer, is not as good. Still, not a killer but not as desirable.

Vijay 07-02-2007 10:59 PM

Coolant was replaced last year and has about 15K miles on it since the replacement...all fluids have been changed…oil, differential fluids, transmission fluids etc