Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Have you had ford to replaced the driveshaft due to shudder? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/484392-have-you-had-ford-to-replaced-the-driveshaft-due-to-shudder.html)

sarivers 05-30-2006 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sarivers
I've got a '04 SCREW that I bought new, off the lot a couple of years ago. I just had my driveshaft replaced Monday due to shudder when starting off. This is their 3rd shot at correcting my problem. First they changed the clutch packs. Next they put shims in something. Now they ordered me a new driveshaft and installed that. I felt the shudder when I drove off the lot and now it is as bad as ever. I'm to the point where I hate to even carry it back to the Ford place because I have no faith that they have any idea what to do. It is like they don't care if it is fixed after they do something, they just declare a victory if they change a part. I'm hoping now that something will fall off so they will have a better idea where to focus their work. This is not the only problem I've had with this truck. I've been very disapointed with the service that I've received from this Ford dealer. It seems like they will do about anything to sell you something but God help you when you have to go back to get something fixed.

Thought I would update my experiences. I drove my truck for about a month with the shudder then finally took it in. They kept it a full day then when I called them at the end of the day they told me they could not find a problem. For the first time I told them that I was not satisfied and wanted to talk with the Ford rep. They told me to wait and let the service manager check my truck. They called me back in less than 30 minutes and told me he found the shudder and wanted to replace the clutch packs because that fix had been updated since they changed my clutch packs the first time. I left it there that night and they fixed it the next day. I also told the tech that the same person that has been telling me he could not find any shudder also told me that my truck did not have a PCM update and it would not help my problem with it shifting back and forth at around 40 miles per hour. I told him I knew there were PCM updates and I wanted mine done or I was going to the Ford rep about that too.

Bottom line, I've had this problem for over a year and this time the cluth packs fixed it. No problem in over a month. By the way, the PCM update was very noticable. It improved the shifting but most noticable is that it really jumps now when I touch the gas, very noticable. None of this would have happened without my threat to see the Ford rep. At this point I'm almost sorry I did not get to talk to him. This will be the last Ford I buy from this dealer.

wakedude 05-30-2006 05:30 PM

What are the pcm updates for? I have a f-150 scab made on 10/03 does it need the updates?

sarivers 05-30-2006 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wakedude
What are the pcm updates for? I have a f-150 scab made on 10/03 does it need the updates?

I'm not a mechanic but my basic understanding is that it is the software that runs the computer that runs the truck. There are several links on this site that explains in more detail. Here is one: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=477469

KevinM 05-31-2006 10:34 AM

The grease on the slip yoke is not to prevent shudder or vibration but to eliminate the clunk between shifts. If you have the clunk the tech is supposed to pull out any remaining grease and see if there are metal shavings from the splines, if so a new drive shaft is in order, if not greasing is recommended. A shudder is usually a product of the limited slip clutch pacs. There is a TSB for both the slip yoke problem and the a shudder from the clutch pacs!